• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Sasha & Digweed JJJ story

This amused me:

"These two are no strangers to Australian shores, of course, either individually or as a team – and so it should come as no surprise that the two have their fair share of amusing stories and anecdotes from having crawled so thoroughly through Australian clubland. Their favourite?

“We did a Northern Exposure tour – 1997 I think? – and we had to do a mix for triple J,” John recounts. “We were supposed to get this mix done, but we got delayed, and then something else came up, and we finally ended up going into this club in Perth on a Wednesday night that was having an 80s night and asked if we could record our set. It was one of the most surreal things.” “It was this really cheesy bar,” Sasha adds. “But they had this little DJ setup in the corner, and so we asked if we could borrow it to record our set.” And so, on a weekday evening at a small hotel bar in Perth, twenty-odd punters were treated to a blistering three hour set from two of the biggest names in dance music.

Their reaction? “Kind of mixed,” John says with a laugh. “Here was this little group of people in there expecting 80s music, and there’s Sasha and myself up there in the booth churning out the most banging upfront tunes at the time. Some people were coming up asking why we weren’t playing 80s records, while the other half of the room knew who we were and were standing there in disbelief going ‘what on earth are you two doing in here on a Wednesday night?’” “Yeah, it was a real banging techno mix,” Sasha recalls, “much to the amusement of the cleaning staff.”

Sorry, it seems you were trying to access a page that doesn't exist. Please check the spelling of the URL you were trying to access and try again.

Its now a classic set - and some lucky bastards witnessed it for free in a hotel lobby .. probably while Sasha was inundated with requests for Rick Astley & Wham !!

http://soundcloud.com/r_co/sasha-john-digweed-triple-j-mix-up-northern-exposure-tour-1997
    Last edited by simonr; September 19, 2011, 07:13:49 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • chunky
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jan 2006

Re: Sasha & Digweed JJJ story

It would be nice if they would rebroadcast it. I would love a great quality version without the gaps from the cassettes
    Originally posted by res0nat0r
    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Wow what an amazing story. Never read it before. Can imagine what a life-changing experience that might've been for some of the clubbers that night. Expecting to hear 80s and treated to some of the most sublime beautiful music of its time. Makes me feel like listening to the mix again. They should definitely release it as some sort of NE anniversary.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• smack
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jul 2004

One of my favourite Sasha afterparty stories goes like this. We're at my buddies place and we have this JJJ mix playing in the background.

Sasha: "What is this?! It's amazing! Who is it?"
        My buddy: "It's you and John Digweed. It's your JJJ mix from '97"

Comment

• BureOne
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

hahaha nice one! Thanks for sharing that Simon.

Comment

• progressive420
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

this is a cool tale.... it inspired me to listen to this mix next and since i haven't heard it in a while it seems like a great idea
            "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• progressive420
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

FUCK ME!!! I forgot how damn sweet this mix is!!! Im only on track 2 and 3 and im already blown away! I haven't listened to this in quite some time.... always wished that i could get a better quality of sound version though.
              "Always........Dancing in My Mind"

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

Oh to be one of the lucky few to have been there on that day. WOW to the 14th power.
                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• sohel2009
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Nov 2008

John says with a laugh. “Here was this little group of people in there expecting 80s music, and there’s Sasha and myself up there in the booth churning out the most banging upfront tunes at the time. Some people were coming up asking why we weren’t playing 80s records, while the other half of the room knew who we were and were standing there in disbelief going ‘what on earth are you two doing in here on a Wednesday night?’” “Yeah, it was a real banging techno mix,” Sasha recalls, “much to the amusement of the cleaning staff.”

Comment

• Nigel Harkness
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

Does someone have a link to this set without gaps?

Comment

• ddr
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

very nice story. thanks for sharing that link.

giving that another listen also... first part is just fucking awesome.
                      "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• fisheye
                        Addiction started
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nigel Harkness
                        Don't know if anyone had the hardware/software combo at the time to record a seamless digital 3 hour mix off the radio. I've only ever heard it in cassette form.

BTW this mix holds a particularly special place in heart. It was my intro to me getting interested in EDM. The opening track captivated me (Sasha and Maria - The Other side) and by the time the mix reached Love Club - The Journey (the Light mix) I was sold.

Comment

• chunky
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nigel Harkness
                          I think this is as close as you will get

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                          OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Aleks_B
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Nov 2006

awesome! the crowd must have been shocked in a good way!
                            aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• BureOne
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
                              I think this is as close as you will get

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OUG25G03

the download finally finished! Thanks!
                              One question.. is this the set that they talk about in this interview? The one from the hotel? or is this just a random recording from their NE tour in '97?.

cheers!

Comment

Working...