X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Balance 014 Mixed by Joris Voorn - Tracklist

Will still check this out regardless. It looks more like edits and layers than quick and dirty mixing techno-style.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Oct 2005

Bring it !!!!!!

Comment

• Dhar_2
        meat and potatoes
        • Jun 2004

whens this out?

i'm definitely intrigued to see how it sounds!

Comment

• The One
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Feb 9th in Australia / Asia, early March in rest of the world, though you can order from Stomp directly if you cant wait until March and get it as soon as it's out in Feb.

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
            Will still check this out regardless. It looks more like edits and layers than quick and dirty mixing techno-style.
            I would agree based on the fact there are numerous instances where he has tracks by the same artist back to back.. like 3 Minilogue tracks in a row on disk one

Comment

• Dhar_2
              meat and potatoes
              • Jun 2004

i suppose its a good way to blend it all together!

Comment

• mnbvcxz
                Platinum Poster
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by johns
                ^^ Hey Andy how u doing mate
                Hey mate!

I've been in hiding for awhile... both on the forums and out and about. I was at the Danny Howells day party. Did you go?

Comment

• GregWhelan
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

On that RA podcast tracklist, he actually plays track 1 for one second?

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

there is some swoosh noise at the beginning of the mix, it could be that sound effect.

Comment

• clintlove
                      Hey girl, ya Hungry?
                      • Jun 2004

The Dutch DJ mixes up 102 tracks over two discs on the latest Balance instalment.

Joris Voorn is the next DJ to undertake a mix for the Balance series, and has crammed 102 tunes into the double-disc compilation.

Most of the tracks used have been heavily edited, and according to Voorn, sometimes he "only used the break or the intro." Speaking about the mix on his MySpace, Voorn said that "the process of making this mix has been more like painting with sound rather than mixing the end of one track with the beginning of another. Working this way has been very interesting for me and made the project into something very different than a conventional DJ mix CD."

Long-term fans of Voorn won't be surprised by his approach to the mix, as his FUSE compilation from 2005 saw him use a similar methodology. This time around, however, he's using a higher frequency of smaller loops to create a sound collage that relies less on the individual tracks themselves. Continuing on his MySpace blog, he added that he "won't be pleasing everyone with these mixes, some listeners will be happily or uneasily surprised, but at least it's pushing my own boundaries in a technical, but even more so, in a musical and artistic way."

The sound sources for the mix come from a wide-ranging bunch of artists, with cuts from Basic Channel, Quiet Village, Goldie, Tantra, Flying Lotus and Cobblestone Jazz all featuring. Those wanting to strain their eyes by looking at the full tracklisting can do so below.

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

Call me old fashioned ... but I prefer the Communicate approach.

Although (just to show I can get with it ) I am really looking forward to Zabiela's master series based on the 20 min promo ... he's definately trying something groundbreaking.

But putting 102 tracks into a cohesive mix that holds you in there and builds/develops ... can't see it.

Some of the tracks must be pretty poor if you can only grab a few seconds to represent in your mix. Plus if I was the producer I'd see it as an insult to my hard work and creative output.
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                          • May 2006

Nah...have you heard Richie Hawtins Dex Efx and 909 stuff?

This is the same thing, and it is freaking amazing. I am with you I like my long tracks and 4 minute mixes, but this stuff is still awesome. I wouldn't think it is an insult if he is just using 2 seconds of a tune. It would be cool enough just to be included. Now that everything is so digital these guys are pushing boundaries when you couldnt do this type of stuff just years ago because it wasnt really feasible.

After recording, sampling, cutting, and splicing over 100 tracks down to their most basic components, I ended up with a collection of over 300 loops, ranging in length from 1 note to 4 bars. I then started to recreate and reinterpret each track, putting the pieces back together as if an audio jigsaw puzzle- using effects and edits in between each piece. This 53 minute piece, consisting of over 70 tracks and 31 ID points, represents what those loops became, and how their interactions created something that had not existed before. -Richie Hawtin-

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

Cheers ... will defo check Hawtins CD out
                            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• skooby
                              Getting warmed up
                              • Jun 2004

Can't wait for this one. Looks like he put a lot of effort into it.

Comment

• jay813
                                Platinum Poster
                                • May 2005

wow, talk about missing the boat, this RA mix is outstanding....looking forward to the balance release....

Comment

Working...