• Nov 2006

Re: Illinois Governor Blagojevich in federal custody

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 88Mariner
      This is bad news for Obama dude. G-rod aside, Obama is going to be embroiled in this for at least his first year in office. We're talking depositions, potential for perjury, and so forth.

And Obama DID, as it is now being reported, have several conversations w/ Blago regarding who to put into office, according to Axlerod.
      Well, we'll have to see how it shakes out.

Here's an interesting play-by-play of the scheme leading to Blagojevich's arrest from The Daily Beast -- quick and intriguing read:

A smart, speedy take on breaking news and opinion in politics, media, entertainment, and more.

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

Well, Blago is reportedly heading back into the office today to get back to work. Tell you what, you've got to have a set of stones to pull that off. Might be a tad awkward, I would think.

I understand that you're innocent until proven guilty and all that, but I'm not sure how you put those things he was caught on tape saying in a context that isn't absolutely damning. Truly one of the most offensive instances of abuse of power I've seen in my lifetime. People have resigned in shame for far less, and this guy just strolls back in to the office, business as usual. Unreal.

Comment

• 88Mariner
          My dick is smaller
          • Nov 2006

everything was explained away yesterday. all pretty straightforward.

until obama said he never talked to G-Rod.
          you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

everything was explained away yesterday. all pretty straightforward.

until obama said he never talked to G-Rod.
            Well G-Rod pretty much confirmed that, complaining that Obama wasn't returning his calls.

Here's what we know:
            1. Blago was pissed at Obama for not playing along or offering anything other than "appreciation" (which could very well have been the result of communications with staff, not Obama himself)
            2. There are increasingly strong indications that Obama's Chief of Staff tipped off the Feds

Sounds to me like although Obama was tangentially "involved" in this whole clusterfuck, he was more part of the solution than part of the problem. Am I missing something?

Comment

• 88Mariner
              My dick is smaller
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
              Am I missing something?

perspective? perhaps Blago was outed because he wouldn't put in Obama's choice? What else would be the impetus for Rahm? All of this could have been avoided, assuredly, if Obama's choice was used.

Food for thought...
              you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

----PEACE-----

Comment

• toasty
                Sir Toastiness
                • Jun 2004

perspective? perhaps Blago was outed because he wouldn't put in Obama's choice? What else would be the impetus for Rahm? All of this could have been avoided, assuredly, if Obama's choice was used.

Food for thought...
                When I first heard about this, my first thought was "please don't let Obama be implicated in this, because it would really be disappointing," so I am not blind to the idea that he might not be squeaky clean. I am close enough to Illinois, both literally and figuratively, to know that Blago is a scumbag and that Illinois politics in general is shady, but I hold Obama to a higher standard. You might not believe this, but if he were on those calls, too, and was OK with what Blago was doing, I'd be calling for his head.

Perhaps Rahm's impetus was that Obama actually wanted to shut this guy down. Remember during the Pennsylvania primaries, Obama refused to dole out "street money" to the local pols?

The Los Angeles Times: "Flush with payments from well-funded campaigns, the ward leaders and Democratic Party bosses typically spread out the cash in the days before the election, handing $10, $20 and $50 bills to the foot soldiers and loyalists who make up the party's workforce. It is all legal -- but Obama's people are telling the local bosses he won't pay. That sets up a culture clash, pitting a candidate who promises to transform American politics against the realities of a local political system important to his presidential hopes.”

“Obama's posture confounds neighborhood political leaders sympathetic to his cause. They caution that if the senator from Illinois withholds money that gubernatorial, mayoral and presidential candidates have willingly paid out for decades, there could be defections to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York. And the Clinton campaign, in contrast, will oblige in forking over the money, these ward leaders predict."

More: "Neither the Clinton nor the Obama campaign would say publicly whether it would comply with Philadelphia's street money customs. But an Obama aide said Thursday that it had never been the campaign's practice to make such payments. Rather, the campaign's focus is to recruit new people drawn to Obama's message, the aide said.”

He ran on a platform of trying to diminish the impact of influence-peddlers, and this would be an example of doing that very thing. For the time being, I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt until there's an actual reason to suspect wrongdoing. What you're suggesting is, as far as I'm aware, nothing more than rank speculation.

Comment

• runningman
                  Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                  • Jun 2004

Well do we on here actually believe that Obama isn't a sell out?? You have to be a sell out in order to get the media attention and corporate sponsorship that he received during his campaign. I wouldn't doubt it if this goes all the way back to Obama (which it won't because Obama is a sell out)

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Not to belabor this point, but why the hell is this guy still in office? Even though he is technically still the governor, he has lost public trust and the ability to govern. Just when you thought George W. Bush was the lamest lame duck ever, along comes Rod Blagojevich. His deputy governor has resigned, he's getting calls from Democrats to resign, and I'm frankly not aware of anyone that thinks that him staying in power is good for anyone. The dude is toast -- why stick around?

Comment

• runningman
                      Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                      • Jun 2004

For the same reason the Sen Stevens and Sen Craig won't resign for their actions. They believe that the US is so corrupt that nobody will kick them out.

Can't you see the trend here?? It is scary to think where that $850 Billion bailout is going then..

Comment

• 88Mariner
                        My dick is smaller
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by toasty
                        Not to belabor this point, but why the hell is this guy still in office? Even though he is technically still the governor, he has lost public trust and the ability to govern. Just when you thought George W. Bush was the lamest lame duck ever, along comes Rod Blagojevich. His deputy governor has resigned, he's getting calls from Democrats to resign, and I'm frankly not aware of anyone that thinks that him staying in power is good for anyone. The dude is toast -- why stick around?

and this was BEFORE things broke on monday.....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Miroslav
                          WHOA I can change this!1!
                          • Apr 2006

and of course, he refuses to leave.

typical behavior of a greedy, shameless cockface.
                          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• floridaorange
                            I'm merely a humble butler
                            • Dec 2005

"Blagojevich, whose 52nd birthday was Wednesday, is charged with conspiracy and solicitation to commit bribery, punishable by up to 20 years in prison and 10 years, respectively."

Ouch!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

impeachment efforts are now officially underway:

Here's a bigger question -- who would vote to not impeach the guy? That's a vote that you could be guaranteed to come back and haunt you the next time you're up for reelection.

Comment

• toasty
                                Sir Toastiness
                                • Jun 2004

According to a Blago spokesman:

“I don’t even know if he knows about those things [like Barack Obama saying he should resign]. I mean, I think he’s got bigger things to worry about, like the state budget, the economy, things like that. Making sure the state continues to run and not those types of things.”

via Wonkette's post: ‘Upbeat,’ ‘Positive’ Hairsuited Moron Blagojevich Forges Ahead

Seriously, WTF is this guy doing at his office right now? He has completely lost his ability to govern...

Comment

Working...