X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chunky
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jan 2006

King Unique split

I thought I would post this because it couldn't go without a mention. It was posted with their Kristal set but many may of missed it. King Unique did one of the best Essential Mixes ever back in 2001. They did it in a couple of days at really short notice after Deep Dish pulled out. And the night they aired that Essential Mix was one of the most magical memories in my life. They put out something Deep Dish could only dream about.

Originally posted by Matt Thomas King Unique

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

AND THEN THERE WAS ONE

Current mood: busy

So, big news - October saw the end of the two Matts era of KU. Matthew Roberts hung up his headphones for good after our four-hour set at Krystal in Bucharest.

If you'd like to have a read through Matthew's farewell post it's on this thread over at the Global Underground board, along with plenty of buzz on a new KU remix (about which more later) as well as a heated discussion on the role of Thatcherism in the rise of the early British house movement (about which more never) - don't say we never give you anything to think about here.

So, to answer a few of the questions that people have asked since hearing/reading/weeping over the news -

Yes, King Unique is alive and kicking. The production side of KU has been my baby since late 2006 anyway, as Matthew turned his attention to things outside of house music. The last couple of years have been both massively inspiring and massively daunting as I've had the chance to do pretty much whatever I like – as long as I felt I was hitting the same vibe that the two of us delivered to make KU the uber-global house phenomenon that we all know and love…
    Best compliment is that no one twigged I was doing it on my own so yes, there's plenty more tracks, remixes, KU Broadcasts & Curfew label releases coming your way. Which brings us neatly onto –

Yes, you'll probably like the new material. All the big name fans still do – John Digweed has been playing the new King Unique remix of Fergie's "Anon" on his Transitions show, James Zabiela has also been pouring praise on "Anon" and the other unreleased KU remix "Yucca" for James Talk. Then there's a rather special sounding Unkle remix in progress at this moment. Check back here for details soon.

And finally (as some people seem very concerned about this) yes, we're still friends. We still see each other a couple of times a week – Matthew tells me when my hi-hats sound rubbish and I slag off his pictures. Business as usual

There'll be new pics, updated website, all that stuff along soon but you'll have to bear with me while I finish this Unkle remix - it's taken over my life.

Cheers,
    Matt KU
    Originally posted by Matthew Roberts king unique

that's ok - I have been moving away from it since late 2005. I wa s abit bored with it, and the family and I came to a decision to get a more family freindly job.
    Of course I am a bit of an awkward bugger, and I have never really done 'normal' - so I opted to do a graphic design degree, and I am into my last year now.
    the last remix Matt Thomas (we still get on great BTW) and I did together was in August 2006 - and after that we only did one more joint record 'Yohkoh'. I continued on DJing as KU with Matt up until 4th October '08
    all is good -
    I hate to say it, but in all honesty I got bored of house about 3 years ago - and there is no point doing it if you don't enjoy it anymore.
    I didn't want to be one of those old fat, bald miserable looking djs who never know when to call it quits (naming no names, but there are a few out there!!) lol
    thanks everyone. It was far better than actually working for a living, and I recommend the life to any young people out there who want to avoid real work. go for it
    Originally posted by res0nat0r
    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: King Unique split

I hate to say it, but in all honesty I got bored of house about 3 years ago - and there is no point doing it if you don't enjoy it anymore.
    I didn't want to be one of those old fat, bald miserable looking djs who never know when to call it quits (naming no names, but there are a few out there!!) lol
    Saying it as it is.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
      meat and potatoes
      • Jun 2004

^ leave tong alone!

Comment

• coleby761
        Are you Kidding me??
        • May 2008

Anybody want to up their EM that sir chunky speaks of? Edit- Chunky should have known better. Thank you.

Comment

• cohiba
          Addiction started
          • Jul 2008

Sad news, but good to know that KU will still exist in a different form.

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by feather
            Saying it as it is.
            I want names
            Originally posted by TheVrk
            it IS incredible isn't it??
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Oct 2005

^^ Danny Rampling, Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfold do u want me to keep going

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Even the techno camp like Derrick May et al.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• AntonyM
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Oct 2004

For me, their album getting all hung up in legal trouble was probably the last straw, it is weird how the sound got a bit heavier around 2006, K-I-N-G UNIQUE, got to see them in Montreal last year, every rmx clip, loop, and a bit of Obscene, Filth, Dirty, Immoral... Oh Yeah, real class act.
                  Originally posted by Shpira
                  So came back last night...
                  Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                  Originally posted by Illuminate
                  Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                  2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                  3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                  4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by cohiba
                    Sad news, but good to know that KU will still exist in a different form.
                    Well considering the guy said that his production partner was really the one who was making most of the tracks. I don't think we'll be hearing much different stuff.
                    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• cohiba
                      Addiction started
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                      Well considering the guy said that his production partner was really the one who was making most of the tracks. I don't think we'll be hearing much different stuff.
                      Huh? The one who is carying on the KU name has been responsible for the production side since '06, so isn't it safe to assume that it will be business as usual, so far as writing/production is concerned?

Comment

• cohiba
                        Addiction started
                        • Jul 2008

Oh wait, in my first post I wasn't implying that the music style will change, if that's what you thought I meant.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

no bro. i knew you weren't going there. I was just making my point about the music and how it probably won't change much.
                          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...