X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Ok, I've had enough ...

... minimal is beginning to suck donkey ass.

I've said before in a few posts that I'm digging the minimal stuff, the deep stuff, but besides folks like Shonky or Adultnapper or Stephan Hinz, a lot of the minimal sets are turning into bog standard minimal fodder.

Exhibit A: The recent Audiofly Flying Circus bored the hell out of me, and I used to be a big fan of their Flying Circus.

I wouldn't mind so much if it's deep or spacey or twisted or just gets me into a 'moment' when I can go, WOW. And the WOW is becoming rarer and rarer, it's more like, hmmm nice ok, whatever. Nothing that's made me sit up and want to hunt down a track name. The only time this month I've tapped my feet or bobbed my head is listening to old prog!

Some of this minimal shit is all beats, some effects, no momentum, no drive, no rhythm, no bassline. It's fucking anemic. It's flatlining me.

Sorry I know a lot of you (me included) have embraced the minimal stuff but enough is enough. So whoever is playing this, quit it already and play some proper music that moves people.

This post brought to you by Space Manoeuvres – Stage One (Separation Remix).

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • AntonyM
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2004

Re: Ok, I've had enough ...

Yeah, it was done back in 05, jeez some of my old tech house records from 01-02, could fit right into any set today. In my opinion the new hybrid is becoming more progressive, more basslines, a track without a heavy bassline, is unlistenable.
    Originally posted by Shpira
    So came back last night...
    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
    Originally posted by Illuminate
    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

Yo Feather, you forgot to add NO GROOVE. Most of it is just head bobbin music.

And when it comes to MINIMAL...to me...there is only two names BRINKMANN and HAWTIN.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by feather

I've said before in a few posts that I'm digging the minimal stuff, the deep stuff, but besides folks like Shonky or Adultnapper or Stephan Hinz, a lot of the minimal sets are turning into bog standard minimal fodder.

Exhibit A: The recent Audiofly Flying Circus bored the hell out of me, and I used to be a big fan of their Flying Circus.

I wouldn't mind so much if it's deep or spacey or twisted or just gets me into a 'moment' when I can go, WOW. And the WOW is becoming rarer and rarer, it's more like, hmmm nice ok, whatever. Nothing that's made me sit up and want to hunt down a track name. The only time this month I've tapped my feet or bobbed my head is listening to old prog!

Some of this minimal shit is all beats, some effects, no momentum, no drive, no rhythm, no bassline. It's fucking anemic. It's flatlining me.

Sorry I know a lot of you (me included) have embraced the minimal stuff but enough is enough. So whoever is playing this, quit it already and play some proper music that moves people.

Couldn't agree more
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
          Yo Feather, you forgot to add NO GROOVE. Most of it is just head bobbin music.

And when it comes to MINIMAL...to me...there is only two names BRINKMANN and HAWTIN.
          Oh yeah, no groove, that's the word I was looking for when I came up with no rhythm instead ... minimal is turning me dumb.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
            meat and potatoes
            • Jun 2004

that mix looks sweet!!!

Comment

• simonr
              Transitionator
              • Jun 2004

It's fucking anemic. It's flatlining me.
              +1 for a bloody good post mate ... minimal's like the king's new clothes proverb, everyone says its great coz the person next to them does, when deep dwon we all really want Communicate style productions
              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• cohiba
                Addiction started
                • Jul 2008

Most minimal was always crap

Comment

• KinKyJ
                  Platinum Poser
                  • Jun 2004

+1 for saying what I was thinking

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Minimal right now feels like GU19 and dark prog all over again. The scene killed prog when everyone jumped on that bandwagon and produced bog standard prog fodder, which lead to everyone else pronouncing prog dead (yeah I know prog is progressive but still!).

Well let me be the first to say minimal is fucking dying so get back on the prog wagon!

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

Well let me be the first to say minimal is fucking dying so get back on the prog wagon!

Comment

• Localizer
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jul 2004

I totally agree man. Minimal is just boring. I listened to the same audiofly mix and turned it off -- that's not to say audiofly sucks since audiofly has some sick productions. There was no substance, no emotion, no drive. I felt like a drone sitting on the assembly line. However, if minimal is properly implemented into a diverse set, it'll help take the mix somewhere.
                        Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                        -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• picklemonkey
                          Double hoodie beer monster
                          • Jun 2004

but I don't really consider Audiofly minimal. Instead of saying "minimal bores the hell out of me" why not just say "Audiofly bores the hell out of me" and continue to give other people a chance

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

Minimal right now feels like GU19 and dark prog all over again. The scene killed prog when everyone jumped on that bandwagon and produced bog standard prog fodder, which lead to everyone else pronouncing prog dead (yeah I know prog is progressive but still!).
                            Are you saying you don't like GU19 ?

I love that dark stuff
                            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                              meat and potatoes
                              • Jun 2004

Stone the witch!!!!

Comment

Working...