• Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ok, I've had enough ...

Plus Shiva wan't think you're cool anymore
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

I jsut read this somewhere - that minimal is the sound of a teaspoon clicking a glass for half an hour !!

hahaha
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Kinetic
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Diggers himself said :

"I think itīs fine to play those minimal tracks, but just a few of them so that it doesnīt become monotonous. Itīs like baking a cake. Youīve got to put all the ingredients in. If you put just one ingredient in itīs not going to taste good." - DJ MAG [September 2008]

And thatīs totally where I stand. Nothing against the genre itself, which like many others has some good stuff and some shitty stuff (maybe a LOT of shitty stuff, because itīs whatīs "hot" at the moment and a lot of people with no talent play it and produce it).

What pisses me off about it is the hyping, the flocking of the sheep and the bandwagon-jumping. I bet 80% of these people would think Robert Hood was some guy from medieval England you used to shoot a bow and arrow and steal from the rich.

And some groove would help, yes.
        "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
        http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
          but I don't really consider Audiofly minimal. Instead of saying "minimal bores the hell out of me" why not just say "Audiofly bores the hell out of me" and continue to give other people a chance
          I guess this is where the problem of defining a genre comes up. You have the faux minimal and you have the hardcore minimal like what Magda plays, I can't even handle Magda for 5 minutes, tried so many times. I'll just decscribe minimal as the boring crap that these people are playing, the crap that seems to have all but replaced groovy prog.

Originally posted by simonr
          Are you saying you don't like GU19 ?

I love that dark stuff
          Nah GU19 remains one of my all time favourites. I meant to say after GU19 came out, everyone was playing that kinda sound ad nauseam. There were a lot of moaning back then about how prog was dead or dying because the dark sound was going nowhere. I remember reading Digweed's comment (but this might be some urban myth instead) on how GU19 was just an example of the darker prog and he didn't expect it to take off the way it did.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
            but I don't really consider Audiofly minimal. Instead of saying "minimal bores the hell out of me" why not just say "Audiofly bores the hell out of me" and continue to give other people a chance
            Because I only have so much life to live and I want to enjoy it.?? Feather has really given minimal a chance and see what it's done to him

The thing is as soon as you start adding groove etc to it, it ain't minimal anymore anyway,
            Originally posted by TheVrk
            it IS incredible isn't it??
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• superdave
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Isn't the sound moving towards more of a deep house or tech house sound already? A good DJ like Diggers says will play from different genres and not just stick to one sound like minimal.
              Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                • Mar 2008

Just from my observations, I would gauge the Deep and Tech-House vibes to have been overground prevalent since early 07.

Cheers to the deejays who don't pigeon hole themselves -- and who can augment all sounds of the past, and build/innovate new ish as well.

Yeah, a lot of Mnml is garbage and grooveless for me nowadays too. ;/
                (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• coliver1980
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Aug 2008

If you have had enough, surely you don't have to take anymore...

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

Early 90's Detroit Techno was always far superior anyhoo

....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Miroslav
                      WHOA I can change this!1!
                      • Apr 2006

as one of the people who is probably painted as a resident minimalist around here, let me tell you....

Most minimal has always sucked. That Audiofly set didn't quite do it for me either, lots of stuff on there I'd never play myself. I go through all kinds of sets that people might generally call minimal and really find something special in about 1 out of every 50 I go through.

But that 1 is still worth it. I think it is still possible to create a minimal/techy set that has purpose, has drive, has some house feel, has some sense of melody. And so I keep on with it somehow.

Besides, what else am I going to do? Go back to some perfectly predictable melodic half-trance stuff or all that old Global Underground proggy stuff? I'm sorry, I know this is heresy around here, but none of that stuff really does anything for me. I need to find something that is in that rare sweet spot, and it is hard to find...but no one said good music was easy.
                      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                        Not cool enough
                        • Jun 2004

one thing that has got me about all this minimal house. Is the idea that so many producers are using standard practices with it's making. The whole Taka Taka Taka Taka thing drives me nutty. I was listening to one of the new Diggers mixes on my way around town today and he played the new Wink track and it started out with that Taka Taka sound, but then got more interesting after that. But sooo much of that today is mostly that sound and a few bleeps that they call a melody.

I did find it really cool that on the beginning of that Diggers mix, he was playing stuff I would consider Chicago House, with the strings and all the melodic stuff. Very nice.
                        Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                        My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                        My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• |Thrax|
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Mar 2007

I agree with Miroslav.. half melodic 8th notes doesnt do it for me.

I listened to the Audiofly mix on the way to work this morning..it was fine.. techy..
                          Like we're seeming to compare/clash, not much minimal at all...
                          Def. not sounding like Magda..

You might be listening on headphones, I thought it was groovy.
                          I need BASSLINES!
                          This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
                          Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Oct 2004

Minimal can be good, just not by itself in a set. I really am big on sets that use a little bit of everything to make a unique sound and feel.
                            soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• Cj Tari
                              MCast Resident DJ
                              • Nov 2004

one of the problems ive found is that everything nowadays is labeled "minimal", its just like a trend thats been going on for quite some time, if you wanted your stuff to sell on beatport, you label it "minimal", being one of the most browsed genres.

on the same note, i my self, being a minimal enthusiast, i hate all that new minimal thats invading the scene, shit, people still call the crap that deadmau5 makes minimal, or how about wagon jumper number 1 dubfire, who now is a minimal superstar.

since minimal begin being the genre of the moment, i used to love guys like Dapayk, Maetrik, Pheek, Samim and Michal Ho, and a bunch of others that were making some really good beats, beats that i still consider "tech house", so i refuse to call a lot of that shit thats being produce "minimal", for me proper minimal has to be the stuff that guys like Pheek, Carl Craig, Hawtin, Magda and Troy Pierce are making, even tough im not a big fan of all the stuff they produce.

also, a lot of those so-called minimal dj's, like Damian Lazarus, James Holden, Nathan Fake, Ricardo Villalobos an some others are just plain awful when playing, either theyre always on drugs or just drunk as shit, so if youre looking for some good beats that sound a bit minimal check out some of these guys::

Lee Curtis
                              Loco Dice (his esential mix for november is very good)
                              Butane
                              Ana
                              Sammy Dee
                              Simon Baker
                              Jamie Jones
                              Paco Osuna
                              ..:: listen :: react ::..
                              http://www.myspace.com/djcjtari
                              http://www.facebook.com/cjtari
                              http://soundcloud.com/cj-tari

Comment

• coleby761
                                Are you Kidding me??
                                • May 2008

Let me first say I'm not really into to minimal but like Miroslav and CJ said there's some good stuff out there and I've always enjoyed Loco Dice. Always seems to be the problem in music that everybody jumps on the bandwagon and the "hot" genre becomes watered down and it becomes boring. A vicious cycle. That's what killed the prog scene years back, no? It took me a while but I'm really starting to enjoy the "progno" stuff being hammered now but soon that too will be watered down and will cycle through again. Big respect to Luke Fair because he's always stuck to what he's done and hasn't jumped on any bandwagons imo. That's what kills me about Lawler and the direction he's gone. I would think you'd want to keep some of your musical roots. Sorry getting off topic here. Peace

Comment

Working...