X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffrey collins
    Not cool enough
    • Jun 2004

Re: Ok, I've had enough ...

When it comes to Minimal. I've always enjoyed listening to the Minimal Explosion CD from Mixmag which is mixed by Loco Dice. Awesome CD.
    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• BureOne
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

I liked minimal for about a year.. between 04 - 05. Some of it is still good, but those are hard to find. they have a bit of a groove to it, but with uhh minimal sound I guess....

I think JVM and Fortier can play what I think sounds like deep minimal warm up tracks. Not necessarily deep house, but deep minimal house...

but yeah.. fuck all the bleeps crackles tips noisey things... if done right okay.. but come on now!

Comment

• Aleks_B
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2006

yeah its definitely reaching a point of over saturations in the last 6 months!!
        aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

ok, for all of you who have the stomach:

listen to this mix. It's mostly chill stuff from a guy most of you have probably never even heard of, great for just working, studying, or a long car drive...but it heats up in places as it goes (go to min. 58 ).
          Ok, this is 2 and a half hours of really good techy house that stays fresh. Not overly bleepy and "minimal", but with enough of an edge not to be a standard house mix. Soooo good for reading, studying, working, just driving... This is the best mix of the minute from a guy you've never heard of - but you may recognize

This mix does not qualify as real "minimal", but hopefully it shows you two things:

1. There is actually a lot of room between tech house and "minimal" - just as there is a lot of room between real hip hop and what you hear on MTV. They just tend to get lumped together. I bet most people who looked at that tracklist would tend to overlook the Freerange tunes and just write it off as "minimal".

2. It's still possible to have a minimal or techy influence throughout a mix and still have it retain melodic coherence, not just a sequence of bleepy drones.

At least that's my opinion. And a whole lot of guys people often call "minimal" like Agnes, Serafin, Barem, Savoretti, Butane seem to be playing closer to this these days - hell, even Luciano and Hawtin at times. Steve Bug too, but then again he always tended to stay more on the house side of things.
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• |Thrax|
            Platinum Poster
            • Mar 2007

Miro, thanks, that tracklist looks great.

chic miniture.
            Tanzmann

woo

or this:
            eli verveine is someone the ssgs have been wanting for the series right from the very start. we fell in love with her sounds when we chanced...

eli verveine is someone the ssgs have been wanting for the series right from the very start. we fell in love with her sounds when we chanced upon her brilliant carebear mix at the beginning of the year. while some people have it as one of their favourite sets from 2008, it is actually more than 4 years old, proof that quality music is timeless. the mix she has prepared for us shares many of the same traits - a careful, lovingly put together selection of vinyl.

one of the great charms about eli's dj'ing is that it has a very distinctive, thoughtful feel to it. when i listen to her mixes, i really get the sense she loves all the records she plays. so i thought i'd ask her to tell us a bit about her philosophy to dj'ing. this is what she wrote:

dj'ing is for me like storytelling. i love to play long sets. that way you have enough time to slowly create a mood and you can lead the audience anywhere you want.
            it's easy for me to play as a warm-up dj. you just have to put your ego aside and spread the red carpet for the next dj. if the audience starts to scream during my last records before the next dj, i know i did a good job.
            i also like playing during prime-time. you just have to know there are musical boundaries, no experiments accepted. but it can be very nice if you have enough time.
            my absolutely favorite time to play is at sunrise. you can play whatever you want...
            This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
            Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• |Thrax|
              Platinum Poster
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cj Tari
              one of the problems ive found is that everything nowadays is labeled "minimal", its just like a trend thats been going on for quite some time, if you wanted your stuff to sell on beatport, you label it "minimal", being one of the most browsed genres.

on the same note, i my self, being a minimal enthusiast, i hate all that new minimal thats invading the scene, shit, people still call the crap that deadmau5 makes minimal, or how about wagon jumper number 1 dubfire, who now is a minimal superstar.

since minimal begin being the genre of the moment, i used to love guys like Dapayk, Maetrik, Pheek, Samim and Michal Ho, and a bunch of others that were making some really good beats, beats that i still consider "tech house", so i refuse to call a lot of that shit thats being produce "minimal", for me proper minimal has to be the stuff that guys like Pheek, Carl Craig, Hawtin, Magda and Troy Pierce are making, even tough im not a big fan of all the stuff they produce.

also, a lot of those so-called minimal dj's, like Damian Lazarus, James Holden, Nathan Fake, Ricardo Villalobos an some others are just plain awful when playing, either theyre always on drugs or just drunk as shit, so if youre looking for some good beats that sound a bit minimal check out some of these guys::

Lee Curtis
              Loco Dice (his esential mix for november is very good)
              Butane
              Ana
              Sammy Dee
              Simon Baker
              Jamie Jones
              Paco Osuna

proper reply sir. thanks.

Heres another list off the top of my head:
              Seth Troxler
              Losoul
              Bruno Pronsato
              Sammy Dee
              Konrad Black
              Cobblestone Jazz/Mathew Jonhson
              Portable/Bodycode
              Brendon Moeller
              Stimming
              Ame
              Dixon
              guillaume & the coutu dumonts
              Phonique

half of that falls into deeper sounds of tech house....
              This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris

Comment

• |Thrax|
                Platinum Poster
                • Mar 2007

I actually woo'ed outloud at work when I heard this track:

Mr. V - Just dance (Cosmic Ritual Dub Rmx)

-Chris

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                  ok, for all of you who have the stomach:

listen to this mix. It's mostly chill stuff from a guy most of you have probably never even heard of, great for just working, studying, or a long car drive...but it heats up in places as it goes (go to min. 58 ).
                  Ok, this is 2 and a half hours of really good techy house that stays fresh. Not overly bleepy and "minimal", but with enough of an edge not to be a standard house mix. Soooo good for reading, studying, working, just driving... This is the best mix of the minute from a guy you've never heard of - but you may recognize

This mix does not qualify as real "minimal", but hopefully it shows you two things:

1. There is actually a lot of room between tech house and "minimal" - just as there is a lot of room between real hip hop and what you hear on MTV. They just tend to get lumped together. I bet most people who looked at that tracklist would tend to overlook the Freerange tunes and just write it off as "minimal".

2. It's still possible to have a minimal or techy influence throughout a mix and still have it retain melodic coherence, not just a sequence of bleepy drones.

At least that's my opinion. And a whole lot of guys people often call "minimal" like Agnes, Serafin, Barem, Savoretti, Butane seem to be playing closer to this these days - hell, even Luciano and Hawtin at times. Steve Bug too, but then again he always tended to stay more on the house side of things.
                  Gonna check this out right now. I actually like Butane and Simon Baker, I dig that camp of minimal.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                  a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

I like turtles...

Oh wait, wrong thread.
                    My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• DIDI
                      Aussie Pest
                      • Nov 2004

^^^
                      Originally posted by TheVrk
                      it IS incredible isn't it??
                      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by |Thrax|
                        proper reply sir. thanks.

Heres another list off the top of my head:
                        Seth Troxler
                        Losoul
                        Bruno Pronsato
                        Sammy Dee
                        Konrad Black
                        Cobblestone Jazz/Mathew Jonhson
                        Portable/Bodycode
                        Brendon Moeller
                        Stimming
                        Ame
                        Dixon
                        guillaume & the coutu dumonts
                        Phonique

half of that falls into deeper sounds of tech house....
                        Just found out Sammy Dee playing tonight.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

Anyone listened to the music from this weeks guest mix. I checked out some of her tracks, and they sound like about 300 other producers tracks.
                          My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• etincelles
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2005

Last edited by etincelles; March 24, 2010, 05:55:08 PM.

Comment

• Miroslav
                              WHOA I can change this!1!
                              • Apr 2006

^^ most EDM is always crap, all the time.
                              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                                Not cool enough
                                • Jun 2004

i've been listening to a lot more tribal stuff lately. Lots of C&C and DT, Oscar G and Ralph Falcon. Lots of deep sounds with loads of drums.
                                My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...