X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Oct 2005

DJs pick their final song

What song would you want to hear on your deathbed or at your funeral? A morbid question, for sure, but it's one that Get Physical recently asked of some of the world's top DJs to come up with the compilation Final Song #1.

The #1 in that title implies that there will be plenty more to come, but the first volume has plenty of heavy-hitters including the likes of Richie Hawtin, Ricardo Villalobos, Kevin Saunderson and François K. Each has seemingly gone in completely different directions, with DJ T. opting for the proto ambient piano work of Erik Satie, David Holmes selecting a classic Beach Boys tune and Chloé picking one of her own.

And while many of these tunes may be well-known, the fun part is perhaps in reading what each artist has to say about their pick—something that will hopefully be included in the liner notes to the eventual CD release. In the press notes for the release, for example, Ewan Pearson justifies his choice thusly: "Peggy Lee had her second big hit with this song in which Lieber and Stoller turn a Thomas Mann short story into an existential justification for lives spent in nightclubs and soaked with booze. I hope it would raise a wry smile among my loved ones, and the sentiment is actually pretty wise—your present life is all you have so best enjoy it!"

Tracklist
    01. Erik Satie - 1. Gymnopédie (Selected by DJ T.)
    02. Rob Gallagher - Little One (Selected by Gilles Peterson)
    03. Photek - Modus Operandi (Selected by Storm)
    04. The Stranglers - Golden Brown (Selected by DJ Hell)
    05. Cerrone - Supernature (Selected by Kevin Saunderson)
    06. Radiohead - Sit Down Stand Up (Selected by Laurent Garnier)
    07. Chloé - Paradise (Selected by Chloé)
    08. The Beach Boys - 'Til I Die (Selected by David Holmes)
    09. Peggy Lee - Is That All There Is? (Selected by Ewan Pearson)
    10. Inti Illimani - Caramba, Yo Soy Dueno del Baron (Selected by Ricardo Villalobos)
    11. Link - Amenity (Selected by Richie Hawtin)
    12. Pharoah Sanders - Astral Travelling (Selected by Francois K)
    13. Brian Eno - An Ending (Ascent) (Selected by Coldcut)

Get Physical will release Final Song #1 on February 6, 2009.

• feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: DJs pick their final song

Nice, something like this deserves a proper sleeve note and art.

Lamb - Gorecki was always my favourite even though the lyrics are more like a love song.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
      Editor Shmeditor
      • Nov 2006

Great idea. I've often though about this and always settle on The Smashing Pumpkins 'Farewell and Goodnight'.
      Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Oct 2005

hmm i have thought bout this as well and not sure which one i would pick. even though it is a morbid thought i will think of a couple.

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

How many times do you intend to die?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
            Transitionator
            • Jun 2004

Probably John Coltrane's "Slow Dance" - taken from his Prestige period, his sax has the purest of tones and is undescribedly beautiful. Plus there's a simple but lovely piano solo from old stallwart Red Garland on there, with Paul Chambers (Mr PC)'s bass keeping things knitted together and Arthur Taylors brushwork rolling on the drums.

This track feels so spritual and, if music can heal, then this is one of the purest and best example of it being able to do so.

Simply sublime - they don't make them any way near like this anymore.

Had it on an old vinyl LP .. I've now got the "Fearless Leader" box set which is so heavily recommended like you wouldn't believe !
            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Bender420
              Tickle me Elmo!
              • Jun 2004

pink floyd - wish you were here ' two losts souls swimming in a fish bowl...'
              Don't let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's in walking distance.

"some things simply aren’t meant to be bootybumped. Hard liquor is a prime example, as it will burn like a motherfuck."

Comment

• BSully828
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

Either "How to Disappear Completely" or "All I Need" by Radiohead - depending on how I go out.
                Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;
                a sense of humor to console him for what he is.

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

i'd probably go with "the cat came back"...

Comment

• chunky
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • Jan 2006

Apollo 440 - Liquid Cool

Schiller - Ruhe

Ruhe - Das hochste Gluck auf Erden kommt
                    Sehr oft nur durch Einsamkeit in das Herz

English Translation:

Silence is the greatest joy on Earth
                    Very often comes into heart only because of loneliness
                    Originally posted by res0nat0r
                    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• tiddles
                      Encryption, Jr.
                      • Jun 2004

francois k wins. he is too cool

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

Why does that not suprise me that you know the german words and english translation too
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                          I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                          • Mar 2008

I couldn't narrow down a darker and solemn song for my death, but dude i thought the best case was to have your most highest and loftiest aspiring thought at the moment of death. my deathbed song might be then...

DJ Hyper vs. General Midi - We've Been Waiting

or it's remastered and sampled rendition..

Stel and Goodnewz - Fineline (Nick & John Dalagelis Remix)
                          Last edited by i!!ustrious; December 17, 2008, 04:49:05 AM.
                          (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Steve Graham
                            DJ Jelly
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                            Probably John Coltrane's "Slow Dance" - taken from his Prestige period, his sax has the purest of tones and is undescribedly beautiful. Plus there's a simple but lovely piano solo from old stallwart Red Garland on there, with Paul Chambers (Mr PC)'s bass keeping things knitted together and Arthur Taylors brushwork rolling on the drums.

This track feels so spritual and, if music can heal, then this is one of the purest and best example of it being able to do so.

Simply sublime - they don't make them any way near like this anymore.

Had it on an old vinyl LP .. I've now got the "Fearless Leader" box set which is so heavily recommended like you wouldn't believe !
                            Love John Coltrane.. "In a Sentimental Mood" is one of my all time favourite songs

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

sigur ros - vidrar vel til loftarasa

Comment

Working...