Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • supaz
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

I have mixed feelings about this...part of being a great dj is being able to mix and change it up to work the crowd.

But if the set is already created, then where is the magic?

What's next? the Powerbook fails so the dj throws in a cassette tape?

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

anyone got the pic of hawtin where he has two computers and a shitload of other stuff set up?

Comment

• 2eq
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

Re: The future of EDM

Nice rack.

And I dont meen the set-up fnar-fnar
        sweet in winter, sweet in rain...
        shake well before use she said
        you never touch me anymore this way.

Comment

• peter_griffin
          Fresh Peossy
          • Oct 2004

In my opinion, Sasha is just adding a new element to mix music.

Recording a set in Ableton Live is no cake walk. It's a lot of work, and I give the guy a lot of credit for trying something new.

This is how I see it.

With Ableton, you can do a lot more with a track. Ie: Add effects, and different layers, that would be imossible with a mixer and/or turntables and a CD player.

So Sasha's just getting the programming and track selection out of the way, so that he can really work on the mix during the set.

It's just adding a new element to DJ'ing, and personally I think it's very cool. Getting the mixing out of the way just leaves room for a whole new realm of creativity during the mix that would have otherwise been impossible!!

We may have lost the element of the turntable, and live mixing, but there is a whole new element to DJ'ing that is being spawned from all of this EDM stuff, and I'm really excited about the future of electronic music.

Comment

• jboz
            Fresh Peossy
            • Jun 2004

looks cool, but what happens when the computer crashes?

Comment

• peter_griffin
              Fresh Peossy
              • Oct 2004

Hhahaha.

LOL.

True.

I can picture it now. He'll get on a microphone and ask everybody politely to wait while he reboots his computer.

Comment

• tiddles
                Encryption, Jr.
                • Jun 2004

he ain't running windows

Comment

• djway
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

When ITM is back up, I'll get ya'll the process he goes through (from the guys who put on his show in Sydney).

In short, he has 3 staff asking to get the 'parts/layers' of tracks that he wants to play. They then import the track in it's parts into Albeton Live.

What Sasha is doing is something no one else can do. He's not breaking tracks down, he's building them up. He's got them in parts and is putting them together.

--djway

Comment

• Revinant
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

Ive been mixing with live since live 2.0 (mainly cause I dont know how to spin). The good thing is that it lets you make a perfect flawless mix with fx, simple shit, dunno why the people are so amazed of Sasha doing that.
                    Revinant/S Junk?s/The Midnight Perverts
                    http://www.myspace.com/midnightperverts
                    Http://www.sjunkes.com

Comment

• ubiqe
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by supaz
                      But if the set is already created, then where is the magic?
                      So my question is: what's the differrence? No revolution here with Ableton - dj's ALWAYS could have had their sets prerecorded. Whether on vinyl or much easier on a cd. Somehow nobody points that out. Just when something new comes...

Comment

• ubiqe
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                        he ain't running windows
                        Certainly a good point! Mac is mac. Pitty I can't afford one... :?

Comment

• ubiqe
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Revinant
                          dunno why the people are so amazed of Sasha doing that.
                          cause he's bringing it to the masses. Revolution does not start when something new appears - only when crowds start noticing it. The attitudes towards mixing with a laptop or simply without vinyl have changed a LOT already. And that's where you can blame Sasha.

Comment

• palmer
                            Retired or Simply Important
                            • Jun 2004

he jumped on the bandwagon imo.... he just gets more exposure

remember when bt did his kiss mix on a mac? that was well over a year and a half ago.... nobody thought bt was the man for trying some new shit
                            todayistomorrow
                            art direction | design | animation

Comment

• ubiqe
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

^ That's exactly my point. Nobody here / or on any prog /less comercial music forum took bt seriously. Actually everybody criticized his laptop symphony. What Sasha did was giving it credibility. Nothing more, no innovation, no big thing. Just that now everybody considers mixing from a laptop an option to think about.

Comment

• djway
                                Getting Somewhere
                                • Jun 2004

ubiqe: I really don't think you understand what sasha is doing. With BT fair enough they were his own tracks, a laptop symphony is nothing, in regards to Sasha (but is amazing by itself). Sasha would have literally 10000's of samples on his laptop from 1000's of different tracks.....He hasn't broken them down or made his own loops, he's been given the parts to each track he plays by itself off the producer[he's got 3 staff full time asking for parts of tracks].

This allows for a much cleaner, less 'op shop' sound. It's not like he's cutting tracks up himself, and it's not like he's pre-making a set in albeton with track he's ripped to vinyl. He's getting each track in a form of elements. He could have the bassline of 1 track, the mid of another and the highs of another all running @ the same time.

Sure BT can do that, but he's only got that of his own productions, where as Sasha can do it for any track he wants to play. There's a difference.

--djway

Comment

Working...