• FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Buy Counterfeit Items, Fund TERRORISM

yea ok whatever

Terrorists look to fake goods to fund operations, Interpol says

By The Associated Press
    Thursday, July 17, 2003

WASHINGTON (AP) -- From knockoffs of designer Kate Spade handbags to pirated DVDs, al-Qaida and other terrorist groups increasingly are turning to counterfeit goods to fund their operations, lawmakers were told Wednesday.

The global trade in counterfeit goods is estimated at $400 billion to $450 billion a year, said Ronald K. Noble, secretary general of Interpol, the organization that coordinates information among law enforcement agencies in 181 countries.

Noble did not have any figures on what percentage of funds may be going directly into the hands of terrorists, but he told the House Committee on International Relations that police agencies are "seeing the connection between terrorist financing and intellectual property crime."

He pointed to counterfeit cigarette trafficking by paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland and profits from fake CDs and other goods being funneled to Hezbollah in the Mideast.

Noble said some supporters of al-Qaida have been found with huge amounts of counterfeit items.

"If you find one al-Qaida operative with it, it's like finding one roach in your house or one rat in your house," he said. "It should be enough to draw your attention to it."

Larry Johnson, a consultant on counterfeiting and money laundering, testified that sources of state-sponsored terrorism are disappearing, leading terror groups to pursue other avenues.

Committee Chairman Henry Hyde, R-Ill., said that "should make you think twice before buying that knockoff purse or a fake CD."

When asked how Americans might tell the difference between counterfeits and the real thing, Asa Hutchinson -- undersecretary for border and transportation security -- said price is a good indication.

"If you've got a CD on the street corner selling for a dollar, that ought to raise some suspicions that maybe this is not on the up and up," Hutchinson said.

Nearly half of the seizures of fake handbags, video games and other goods in 2002 originated from China, and over one-fourth came from Taiwan, he said.

Some of the counterfeits were showcased at the hearing, including Levi's jeans, batteries, extension cords and Christmas lights.

Noble testified that, in general, law enforcement around the world has not made counterfeiting and piracy a high priority crime. He said the focus is often on seizing the goods, and not on investigating who might be receiving the profits.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • beto
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Buy Counterfeit Items, Fund TERRORISM

Originally posted by FM
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- From knockoffs of designer Kate Spade handbags to pirated DVDs, al-Qaida and other terrorist groups increasingly are turning to counterfeit goods to fund their operations, lawmakers were told Wednesday.

Noble did not have any figures on what percentage of funds may be going directly into the hands of terrorists, but he told the House Committee on International Relations that police agencies are "seeing the connection between terrorist financing and intellectual property crime."

Noble said some supporters of al-Qaida have been found with huge amounts of counterfeit items.

so... it's just a thought... there aren't proofs, just like with most of the 'terrorism' information.

next week: are p2p tools made by terrorists...?

Comment

• hypoluxxa
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Okay, but who is going to protect us from our government? Less and less freedom, and more and more fear and paranoia...

Comment

• MJ
        Here since 2002
        • Jun 2004

Re: Buy Counterfeit Items, Fund TERRORISM

Originally posted by beto
        so... it's just a thought... there aren't proofs, just like with most of the 'terrorism' information.

next week: are p2p tools made by terrorists...?
        We only know what they want us to know. We will never know the truth, know what i mean? no?
        mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Should I start knocking off all the chicks with those fake Louis Vuitton bags and Chanel sunglasses?
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• Localizer
            Platinum Poster
            • Jul 2004

i don't know if it brings in that much but.....i was watching a documentary on sundance about the gaza strip and a taxi driver....as irrelevant to the fil as it was, the driver was picking up a lot of counterfeit cd's to sell on the streets, so ya, to me it's believable that it could fund them.....
            Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
            -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Localizer
              the driver was picking up a lot of counterfeit cd's to sell on the streets
              You can sell counterfeit certificates of deposit? On the street no less?
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

Working...