• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: RA Top 100 DJs

Originally posted by chunky
    To say people who voted in this poll actually understand music more than anyone else is just totally arrogant. Its just down to opinion. There's no intelligent or Stupid, Clued up or Dumb or even understand or don't understand, Its just taste. After all is Beethoven better than Zabiela, my Nan mite think so. Does that make Nan someone who doesn't take music serious, clueless or someone that just doesn't understand. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but one of my pet hates is people who for some reason think their taste in music makes them better or have a greater understanding in some way than any body else. And for some reason that belief is a lot more common in fans of the progressive DJ's.
    and my statement was my opinion.. ooops, sorry, i didnt end my post with IMO

Comment

• lilsensa
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lilsensa
      Well, it's just the fact that these polls that are done by certain groups of interest will get the vote of the people that are into that certain interest group....RA, while I love them and their site, cater to mostly minimal and tech-ish styles...Therefore, the top dj's according to them and their site are mainly minimal and tech dj's....

The same goes for DJMag, but on the opposite end of the spectrum...That being more on the trance-ish side...

If a poll can be done by an entity that does not attract such polar opposites, but rather dance music dj's in general, that would be great. This way, we get a full spectrum of voters.

I mean, the whole RA Poll vs. DJMag Poll is sort of like a Democrat vs. Republicans, where only people that support one or the other will cast their votes for the one that caters to their interests....

Make sense??
      IMO.
      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

It's not elitism, it's called good taste.

Most of us here are pretty open minded from the genres of music we listen to and what's discussed.

Calling us music elitists is as knee-jerk a reaction as us saying trance sucks. But most of us will allow into our opinions that trance when done right, rocks. It's not our fault that the genre has made a parody of itself over the years, just as we can't control how progressive sounds now even though we moan about it.

4Mal is pretty trancey and I listen to his promos every month. Most of us on here would listen to something if anyone actually posted or recommended a set.

Does that make us elitists? Well sure, we're elitist about having some good taste and deeper appreciation into whatever we listen to. But it doesn't make us anymore elitist than people who deeply appreciate classical or jazz.

We're not like some crazy prog nationalists here, we just want to listen to stuff that's intriguing and challenging, shit that either opens our minds or progresses the way we listen or appreciate music.

So even if the RA poll is minimal/tech skewed, I'm not going to moan about the lack of prog DJs on there, because I appreciate where these people are coming from. Like I'm not a fan of Villalobos or Magda or half the folks in the Top 10, but I accept that there's something in their stuff that puts them in the Top 10. Which makes me wonder why they think these DJs are better than what I'm used to listening to, which makes me want to decide for myself.

But yeah trance and boring minimal can suck donkey balls, there.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• AntonyM
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Oct 2004

Not buying the elitist label either, just a musically diverse crowd.
          Garnier was nice to see, as for the techno DJ, eh, wasn't Howells 11 or 13, not like he was 78, overall there were a few head scratchers but a lot better than the DJ Mag poll.
          Originally posted by Shpira
          So came back last night...
          Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
          Originally posted by Illuminate
          Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
          2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
          3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
          4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• chunky
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by AntonyM
            Not buying the elitist label either, just a musically diverse crowd.
            Musically Diverse in your opinion.
            Originally posted by res0nat0r
            OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

Comment

• fletcher
                Platinum Poster
                • Jul 2005

Polls suck ass, but at least they always muster up some good discussion afterwards
                http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                  I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                  • Mar 2008

Polls are teh ghey regardless..

Glad to see Ben Watt, Beyer, Laurent, Francois and others in there though. Woulda liked to have seen Shur-I-Kan in Jimpster's placement. Tenaglia, Armin etc. etc. don't deserve to be in that 100. Where the fuck is Jody? Nick's spot is ok I guess, and S/D's as always. Not a fan of Villalobos.
                  (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                    Its a Tech & Minimal poll ... while the DJ mag poll it a trance poll.

From Tech minimal and Trance sites , got the anticipated results!!
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...