Report - John Digweed & Danny Howells : Cream Courtyard, Liverpool Boxing Day 2008

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Report - John Digweed & Danny Howells : Cream Courtyard, Liverpool Boxing Day 2008

Well the reports a bit late, and I'm afraid rather hazy !

[ms] was very well represented with myself, Adzey and Chunky ... Ad's get some photos if he ever gets his arse into gear. Luckily it seems that a professional photographer was on hand too:

We got to Cream shortly after 10.00 and got to hear Danny Howells full warm up - he simply played 3-hours of low key, but very lovely, house. Danny was pretty much just building it up for later on, but then that's what a proper Dj does, having the confidence to pace things and create a vibe, rather than going for obvious tracks or trying to upstage whoever's on next.

Digweed then took over and played some brilliant stuff .. not as tech-orientated as the Fabric reports suggest when he played there, but dark, great beats, some nice melody and even trancey in parts (that's trancey in a good way). I got the impression Digweed was breaking some big tracks to see how they sounded and gauge the crowds reaction. Hours 1 and 2 were excellent, hour 3 had a renaissance retro sound.

Highlight of the night .. Diggers ended with Britney Spears - Breathe On Me (James Holden's Vocal Mix), I love this track - it took me back to Sasha's finest in the Space Discoteque at his '04 birthday do - absolute shivers when Sasha bent it in and out of the dub version. Plus JD also played the vocal at Matter in October.

Warren came on playing Cream classics ... sounded good but we decided to leave at 5.30 (at least we'd put in a respectable 7-hour shift).

So all-in-all a really great night .. and a special thanks to Adam & Chris for being such great guys and making then trip - see you a Bedrock in Easter !

Now I'll STFU ... here's some pics !

has JD lost weight

JD about to Crowd Surf - Delta Heavy style !
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • coliver1980
    Platinum Poster
    • Aug 2008

Re: Report - John Digweed & Danny Howells : Cream Courtyard, Liverpool Boxing Day 200

Exellent stuff Si. Looks like it was a great night. Some seriuos pics there...

Comment

• Hg_addict
      Addiction started
      • Dec 2005

Re: Report - John Digweed & Danny Howells : Cream Courtyard, Liverpool Boxing Day 200

Lucky Man you are!!! Nice report and thanks for the pics!

That breathe on me track is fantastic! I could definitely see myself getting the chills when that was dropped.

Comment

• Weizy
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jun 2004

NIce report! Sounds like a great night...it must be sweet to have shows like that in your area. WOW!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

Wish I could have been there. I was taken a bit back when you mentioned a BS remix. But then luckily it is on youtube, so I checked it out.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdkqsME0Xw[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty dark stuff. Glad there's not much for vocals in it.
          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Yeah I remember it was quite a surprise when the Holden remix of BS came out, simply because it was a BS track.

That Cream logo sure brings back memories, I used to want one tattooed on the back of my neck when I was err younger.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
              Transitionator
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
              Wish I could have been there. I was taken a bit back when you mentioned a BS remix. But then luckily it is on youtube, so I checked it out.

[youtube]cxdkqsME0Xw[/youtube]

Pretty dark stuff. Glad there's not much for vocals in it.
              Know what you mean .. but when Sasha hinted at the "genious" word for JH this is a track that must spring to mind - the big sound systems just bring out all the little nuances

Feather ......... can't believe you nearly had a "Chav" tattoo - sounds like a lucky close call & escape !
              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• AndyH
                Platinum Poster
                • May 2005

[ ] not jealous
                [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• pipey
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Mar 2007

mmmmm, i want that set!

Danny is stellar chap, seen him like 5 times or so and met him a few times tooo - what an awesome cat.

as for diggers.... you really know how to make a man go moist dont you john...

now UPLOAD SET OR STFU!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Originally posted by Kamal
                  Thank you Dr. Needle for attending the balloon Party

Comment

• day_for_night
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by pipey
                    as for diggers.... you really know how to make a man go moist dont you john...

now UPLOAD SET OR STFU!!!!!!!!!!!
                    we're still waiting for him to release some of bedrock 10. i have a feeling we may be waiting awhile!

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Yeh ... could be Easter, which is ages away.
                      sigpicSimonR

Comment

• Adzey
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Mar 2008

ok here is the first vid and apologies but the sound is crap as it was a new camera and i had the volume up too high plus i was hammered

hopefully easter bedrock ones will be better

[youtube]_JJijrbrLBQ[/youtube]

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Adzey
                          Are you Kidding me??
                          • Mar 2008

[youtube]3ZKBsIe81KE[/youtube]

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• Adzey
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Mar 2008

[youtube]0bFFtq5aAbM[/youtube]

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

The sounds not that bad ... sweet tune.

Pretty decent camera work given the state we were in !
                              sigpicSimonR

Comment

Working...