X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haziel
    Likes a finger upthere
    • Jan 2007

Advice on handling dj-promoter??

So just recently last year I got out of the bedroom and started playing at some clubs in Mexico. most of them pretty decent, being new to all of this, all I wanted to do was to play out as much as possible.

So 2 months ago I meet this guy that was the resident dj at a club and he asks me to replace him a couple nights because he had to play at some event in Cabo , he would pay me personally a week after because that's when he would usually get the money the club pays him .

I played and at the end of the night the owner really digged my set and asked me if i wanted to be resident of the club because they didnt like the current resident dj and where looking for something more of what i was spinning , i said no thanx because i got school and studying to do. I cannot do a 4 nights a week - five hour set every single night and then go next day to school at 7 am, so at end we shook hands and the guy told me ," If you ever want to spin here again you are welcomed."

So next week i called the resident dj many times and never answered the phone , I wrote to him on myspace asking him when was he going to pay me , he read the message and never answered back , i went to the club a week after and saw that a new dj was playing ,the owner told me he fired to former one just 2 days ago.

So clearly the guy is avoiding me and doesn't have any intention on paying me , like i said before I just wanted to play and didn't care much about the money , but what gets me really irritated is the fact that this guy is going to get away with it , and doesn't even
    have the courtesy to answer my mesages or return my calls,

what do you guys advice me to do?

and also for future references what should i do beforehand
    Last edited by Haziel; January 6, 2009, 07:56:12 PM.
  • bobjuice
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: Advice on handling dj-promoter??

does the owner know you didn't get paid by the other guy?

Comment

• lilsensa
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

You got burned. You didn't expect that this dj would be taking some of your profit by offering to pay you himself? It's just like dealers, who are dealers for other dealers for other dealers and so on....The further along that chain, the more money you will lose...Same thing here..

Show up at his house and kick his ass! Just kidding...

Lesson learned...
      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• phuck'm-up
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Jan 2008

That sucks. And the sad thing is is that that is the mQ of a lot of clubs these days. not wanting to pay talent relying on whoever and whatever. Sucks. Where did the dignity go? I hope you get paid though. Talk to the owner then make up your mind on how to handle it. Often miss communication is the main issue.

Peace,
        p
        https://soundcloud.com/bass00monkey/aquanaun_rebirth_club_controler_demo_a_real_dj_featuring_eddie_golds_fly_away_with_k_major

Comment

• pudrus
          Getting Somewhere
          • Aug 2004

As we say down here..... "te cagó"

lesson learned!

Comment

• DIDI
            Aussie Pest
            • Nov 2004

Unfortunately this is a a lost cause. There is no way known this guy is going to pay you, and why would the owner? As far as he is concerned he has paid the other guy. He may not even be happy if you brought it up. Most in his situation would say it was between you and the other guy. Club owners aren't known for their generosity.

Don't waste anymore of your time and energy on it. Just an idea, maybe you could approach the owner about one night a week. If you can do it of course. He likes you, it would be good if you could get something from that. It's a shame to let this oportunity go. Turn a negative into a positive and all that. And that other Dj would be really really pissed off Win - Win

Good luck anyway!
            Originally posted by TheVrk
            it IS incredible isn't it??
            STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
            Simply does not get any better than Hernan
            The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• Haziel
              Likes a finger upthere
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bobjuice
              does the owner know you didn't get paid by the other guy?
              No I didn't mention it to him , because I made the deal with the other guy ... not him. so there is no point in discussing it with him.

Originally posted by lilsensa
              You got burned. You didn't expect that this dj would be taking some of your profit by offering to pay you himself? It's just like dealers, who are dealers for other dealers for other dealers and so on....The further along that chain, the more money you will lose...Same thing here..

Show up at his house and kick his ass! Just kidding...

Lesson learned...
              Yes i guess i'm learning the hard way

It ran through my mind that he might taking a cut but i didn't care at the moment , all i wanted to do is just play . but like i said before I hate people that get away with it regardless of the amount of money , he might do it to others so there should be a stop to this.

Comment

• Localizer
                Platinum Poster
                • Jul 2004

you didn't get burned. you basically got publicity and the owner likes what you play. you got free press and now you're kind of in if anyone big comes to town. work with this owner so you get noticed, even if its 1-2 times/month.
                Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

^that's a much better way of looking at it. Besides the money wasn't why you played, and now you have some cred.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                  a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Haziel
                    Likes a finger upthere
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by DIDI

Don't waste anymore of your time and energy on it. Just an idea, maybe you could approach the owner about one night a week. If you can do it of course. He likes you, it would be good if you could get something from that. It's a shame to let this oportunity go. Turn a negative into a positive and all that. And that other Dj would be really really pissed off Win - Win
                    Good luck anyway!
                    Yeah i thought about a night a week, hope that works for both of us.

Since is a very small scene at the city i currently live in , i'm sure i'll bump into him some day , i wonder how would that turn out

thanx for the advice

Originally posted by pudrus
                    As we say down here..... "te cagó"

lesson learned!
                    Pretty much in all South america is said like that , but a more a argentine way would be "te recago"

Comment

• lilsensa
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

^^Nice signature.
                      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Haziel
                        Likes a finger upthere
                        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Localizer
                        you didn't get burned. you basically got publicity and the owner likes what you play. you got free press and now you're kind of in if anyone big comes to town. work with this owner so you get noticed, even if its 1-2 times/month.

Originally posted by feather
                        ^that's a much better way of looking at it. Besides the money wasn't why you played, and now you have some cred.

Thanx guys this made me feel better i didn't look at it that way , because i didnt play anymore due to exams and stuff...

Now can anybody tell what to do next time i get hired? I have no clue on how dj's handle this.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

mark it up as experience!

u have made a good contact at the club. forget the cash. use it to your advantage to play out more!

Comment

• AndyH
                            Platinum Poster
                            • May 2005

Fuck him (not literally) and feel good about the fact that he sucks compared to you
                            [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

Write the money off !

A at least you ended up being introduced to an audience and offered a residency based on your talent.

+ you got a valuable lesson in trusting people in the dj business, particularly as you can get fucked over from time to time - so you now know that you have to look out for yourself.

I'm sure Sasha got messed about in the early days of the UK scene ... but he always focused on the music to the point where no-one could afford to mess him about and he could turn down £20k paydays
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

Working...