X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Great Moments in Punctuation

Get this -- my wife gets a letter from her grandparents last night. The letter closes like this:

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

"Love you"
    Grandpa and Grandma

The thing that is so great about it is that you know she didn't mean it the way it reads -- I don't know what she thought she was doing, but I'm positive this wasn't the intent. Simple punctuation error, but it changes the meaning 180 degrees. Simply awesome.

Do you have family members or friends that are comically clueless about things? My mom is the worst (read:best) when it comes to name mangling and things of the like, where she'll have just enough information about something to embarrass herself. It's always like close, but not quite there. For example, we were talking about something internet related recently, and she's aware that there are sites out there like myspace, YouTube and facebook, so she suggests I "look it up on YouFace." I still laugh about that to this day...
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: Great Moments in Punctuation

Thats hilarious! I love it when people, especially people that are generally annoying, butcher a very common saying with such great confidence it makes the gaff even that much more funny.

A good friend of mine has a love/hate relationship with her mum, I mean they truly battle almost on a daily basis due to the fact she is a mean condescending person that "knows everything"

A few months ago we were all hanging out having a drink, and you know how when there's a gathering and few seperate little groups are chatting every now and again you'll hear bits and bobs of conversations going around you.. well, during a pause in the conversation I was involved in, all of a sudden we hear my friends mum blurt out with all the confidence in the world...

"ROCK ON WITH YOUR COCK ON!"

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
      "ROCK ON WITH YOUR COCK ON!"
      Dude, that is priceless! Literally laughed out loud at that, had to disguise it as a coughing fit so it didn't look like I was just sitting at my desk laughing...

Comment

• tiddles
        Encryption, Jr.
        • Jun 2004

i was talking to my students once and threatened to lower their grades if they didn't shut up.
        unfortunately, the french word for lower is very close to the word for fuck. so i fucked their grades. opps

Comment

• res0nat0r
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • May 2006

two things i dont get here...i am overlooking the puncuation error i think because i am stupid i guess.

and also, what the hell is a letter?

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
            two things i dont get here...i am overlooking the puncuation error i think because i am stupid i guess.

and also, what the hell is a letter?
            lol re the letter thing.

And the error would be the use of quotes around "love you," which is sometimes used to imply skepticism, scorn, irony, sarcasm or that the writer is being disingenuous. Think air quotes.

Comment

• chunky
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jan 2006

^ I'm glad you cleared that up. I'm not the only one who its thick then lol
              Originally posted by res0nat0r
              OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Dhar_2
                meat and potatoes
                • Jun 2004

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles
                  i was talking to my students once and threatened to lower their grades if they didn't shut up.
                  unfortunately, the french word for lower is very close to the word for fuck. so i fucked their grades. opps
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by toasty
                    lol re the letter thing.

And the error would be the use of quotes around "love you," which is sometimes used to imply skepticism, scorn, irony, sarcasm or that the writer is being disingenuous. Think air quotes.
                    ahhh got it...i guess that one just flew over my head right now for some reason..hahah thanks

Comment

• poults
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Nov 2006

Ahh, makes some sense to me now.
                      I'll get my dunce hat.
                      Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

Being a Brit I didn't realise that also covered written quotations.

See .. you learn something new and cultured on here each & every day
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

I didn't read the quotes as the 'air quotes,' I simply read them as though they were speech, which I t hink was the grandparents' intention ... though of course the entire letter is considered speech.

Anyway you left out an apostrophe in your first post

But on that note, my friend used to refer to Seinfeld as Stanfield despite everyone else around him saying Seinfeld. It's almost like some speech impediment or tourette.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by poults
                            Ahh, makes some sense to me now.
                            I'll get my dunce hat.
                            Who is that chick in your avatar?

Comment

• DIDI
                              Aussie Pest
                              • Nov 2004

I thought this was going to be a discussion on the 2nd amendment

Should have known better!! Wrong Forum
                              Originally posted by TheVrk
                              it IS incredible isn't it??
                              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...