X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Parting Words for George W. Bush

After years of venting my frustration with the president in this forum on an almost daily basis, I've made a conscious effort to tone it down recently, I guess in part because:

1. He's the lamest of lame ducks and increasingly irrelevant.
    2. He's so universally disliked, it feels like piling on at this point.
    3. I'm ready to move on, and ignoring him is a step in that direction.

After hearing his final press conference and thinking about it, though, I really think it opens a window into why this guy was such an epic failure. His response to the question about what mistakes he made was extremely telling:

Q And I'm not trying to play "gotcha," but I wonder, when you look back over the long arc of your presidency, do you think, in retrospect, that you have made any mistakes? And if so, what is the single biggest mistake that you may have made?

THE PRESIDENT: Gotcha.
    Even by Phil Gramm's standard's, the nation is in a bad way, and this glib, flip response is how he starts his answer. Classic Bush.

I have often said that history will look back and determine that which could have been done better, or, you know, mistakes I made. Clearly putting a "Mission Accomplished" on a aircraft carrier was a mistake. It sent the wrong message. We were trying to say something differently, but nevertheless, it conveyed a different message. Obviously, some of my rhetoric has been a mistake.

I've thought long and hard about Katrina -- you know, could I have done something differently, like land Air Force One either in New Orleans or Baton Rouge. The problem with that and -- is that law enforcement would have been pulled away from the mission. And then your questions, I suspect, would have been, how could you possibly have flown Air Force One into Baton Rouge, and police officers that were needed to expedite traffic out of New Orleans were taken off the task to look after you?
    Take a look at that response, and the thing that jumps out is that they were all bad because they had negative political ramifications for him. The Mission Accomplished banner had no impact on what was actually going on in Iraq, but it made Bush look like a smacked ass for years. Katrina presents a similar issue. You can tell from his response that he views it as potentially negative because was bad for him politically, not because a major metropolitan area nearly drown while he was trimming brush in Crawford.

Hey George, I can understand why you might look back on Katrina with some regret, because that was the moment that the nation learned that the emperor had no clothes, but guess what? The problem with Katrina wasn't that you did an inadequate photo op, it's that there was an utter vacuum of leadership in the days following that disaster. Hundreds of people died, and you're bummed because you think you could have avoided some of the criticism for your non-response by putting on a better PR show. Ask the people of New Orleans if they give a flying fuck about whether you landed Air Force one in the area, or how strongly you were criticized.

There have been disappointments. Abu Ghraib obviously was a huge disappointment during the presidency. Not having weapons of mass destruction was a significant disappointment. I don't know if you want to call those mistakes or not, but they were -- things didn't go according to plan, let's put it that way.
    John Stewart actually touched on this as well some last night, but he's spot on to the extent that these are not really "disappointments." As to Abu Ghraib, I'm wondering if he's just disappointed that we got caught.

Regarding the WMD thing, though, I fully do not understand what the hell he means. If you're concerned that a country has WMDs and intends to use them against you and then you engage them in a war and learn that they do not, in fact, have WMDs, you should be relieved, not "disappointed." Again, my interpretation of this is that he's disappointed because it caused him enormous political problems.

For the record, I would not have expected Bush to come into the press conference and issue a straightforward mea culpa on all the things he did wrong during his presidency in response to this question. What he did say, however, offers an honest and probably unintentional glimpse into the way Bush viewed his job.

Simply put, policy was always secondary to politics. Clinton ushered in the era of the perpetual campaign, placing a heightened importance upon spin and message control, but Bush brought it to a new level where he spent so much time spinning, he didn't bother to govern.

I'm pulling for Obama, obviously, but the reality is that he's got a tough, tough job ahead of him to try to unfuck our country. My support for Obama was based in large part upon the idea that he would bring a new governing philosophy and more transparency to the office, so I'm hoping he at least lives up to that expectation. We cannot continue on this same path.

As for Mr. Bush,
    Goodbye, and good riddance.
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Re: Parting Words for George W. Bush

After writing this, I stumbled upon Slate's list of the top 25 Bushims. Two stood out, the first because it is germane to my comments above, and the second because it is depending upon how you read it, it is probably true to his fans and critics alike, unfortunately.

8. "See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."—Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

25. "I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office."—Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

Comment

• superdave
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Bush undoubtedly did a poor job as President overall. Iraq, Katrina and the current economic mess come to mind. Many more fuck-ups I could mention, but like Toasty said it's piling on. We know he didn't do a good job and let's move on.

There was one big win though like no successful terror attacks since 9/11 domestically. I recall vividly after 9/11 how everyone was scared and thought we would be attacked again soon. And Bush did well in his speeches comforting many Americans after 9/11.

I don't see Bush as bad guy overall, just someone who was in over his head. Unfortunately, it's difficult to fire the President like someone in a normal job who isn't successful.
      Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

his religious values + dick cheney + incompetent comgress (my biggest blame for the last years). = what we have now.
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• runningman
          Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
          • Jun 2004

The plan for the "New American Century" has been a disaster. Bush's very first mistake was making Cheney his VP. Also look at this crap from Bin Laden;

Osama bin Laden, leader of Al Qaeda, releases a new audio and video calling for an end to the bombings in Gaza, the message comes on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration.

Osama vs. Obama

I like how we call Osama - Bin Laden now because it is to close to Obama. Don't want to confuse the two.

Comment

• MJDub
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

A big failure toasty didn't mention was the failure to get Bin Laden when we had him cornered in Tora Bora back in November 2001. Shortly after that, Bush started publicly focusing on Iraq.

Unfortunately though, we can't change the past, so I'm ready for the end of an error on Tuesday.
            http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• floridaorange
              I'm merely a humble butler
              • Dec 2005

the contrast between bush & obama is just incredible...what's funny is my opinion of bush has not changed much since he was elected the first time...

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• thesightless
                Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                • Jun 2004

i cant beleive we let the whole group of em stay. fucking barney frank oversaw the financial collapse and keeps his job. apparently the idiotic masses beleive the president is the only person who makes and implements laws, and congress is there to just bitch.

stupid american ruining this place. and its about to get worse.
                your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

Working...