X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Traumatised? Play Tetris

Volunteers who played Tetris experienced significantly fewer flashbacks over the next week

British researchers found that playing the popular computer game shortly after the trauma helped wipe out the bad memories and reduce distressing flashbacks.

The psychologists from Oxford University believe the discovery could lead to new treatments for accident victims in hospitals as well as those involved in war zones.

"This is only a first step in showing that this might be a viable approach to preventing post traumatic stress disorder,' said Dr Emily Holmes of the Department of Psychiatry at Oxford University, who led the work.

"This was a pure science experiment about how the mind works from which we can try to understand the bigger picture.

"There is a lot to be done to translate this experimental science result into a potential treatment.

The researchers who published their findings in the Public Library of Science One journal showed 40 healthy volunteers that included traumatic images of injury from a variety of sources, including adverts highlighting the dangers of drink driving.

After waiting for 30 minutes, 20 of the volunteers played "Tetris" for 10 minutes while the other half did nothing. Those who had played the computer game experienced significantly fewer flashbacks over the next week.

Dr Holmes and her team believe that the computer game helps block the brain from storing painful memories as long as it is played immediately after the event.
    This she explains is because the brain is split into two: one section is sensory and the other is analytical.

Because there are limits to our abilities to do two things at once - like hold a conversation while doing a maths problems - the computer game is able to "interfere with the way our memories are retained in the brain".

The Oxford team chose "Tetris" because it involves moving coloured building blocks around and uses a large part of the mind. They are unsure whether other computer games would be as effective.

Dr Holmes said: "Tetris may work by competing for the brain's resources for sensory information. We suggest it specifically interferes with the way sensory memories are laid down in the period after trauma and thus reduces the number of flashbacks that are experienced afterwards."

Co-researcher Dr Catherine Deeprose added: "We know there is a period of up to six hours in which it is possible to affect certain types of memories that are laid down in the human mind.

"We have shown that in healthy volunteers, playing 'Tetris' in this time window can reduce flashback-type memories without wiping out the ability to make sense of the event."

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • spyros
    Gold Gabber
    • May 2007

Re: Traumatised? Play Tetris

what a game!! i used to play the arcade version all the time!! still one of my favorite games!!

i still get the flashbacks tho..

Greeks don't fight like heroes, heroes fight like Greeks

"Winston Churchill"

Comment

• clintlove
      Hey girl, ya Hungry?
      • Jun 2004

Dr. Mario

Music is the answer, to your problems. Keep on movin', till you solve them.

sigpic

Comment

• Dhar_2
        meat and potatoes
        • Jun 2004

can we add tetris into shosh signature so we can all be a little less traumatised!

Comment

• i!!ustrious
          I got some N64 Games Yo!!
          • Mar 2008

^

ur randomizer with the cool astro icons was the shit dawg

-------

still have the original tetris preserved.

would rather run a 100 meter dash on shrooms, then do a long jump to kill trauma. that, or halo.
          (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Dhar_2
            meat and potatoes
            • Jun 2004

it was a little bit heavy when loading pages so i got rid of it!

Comment

• i!!ustrious
              I got some N64 Games Yo!!
              • Mar 2008

likewise man; mine really fucked with the flow when i was posting pix in boobs and nonsense.

cheers.

(((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
                Gold Gabber
                • Oct 2004

Hah, I loved Dr. Mario
                soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• MTmix86
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jan 2009

Tetris is where its at, so timeless

Comment

• Localizer
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jul 2004

kind of funny. an article came out 2 weeks ago in the economist talking about mdma and how volunteers had significantly reduced ptsd after mdma therapy.
                    Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so.
                    -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

mdma therapy with tetris could be a bad thing!

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Localizer
                        kind of funny. an article came out 2 weeks ago in the economist talking about mdma and how volunteers had significantly reduced ptsd after mdma therapy.
                        No surprise there, but was the article talking about current practice??

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Localizer
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by feather
                          No surprise there, but was the article talking about current practice??
                          current practice in what sense? like recreational use?
                          -Bertrand Russell

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

Was the article referring to mdma being used today for therapy or in the past before it became illegal?

Comment

• Localizer
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by feather
                              Was the article referring to mdma being used today for therapy or in the past before it became illegal?
                              no no, it was the present. The study was funded by 3 different private organizations.
                              -Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...