Travel Guru Extraordinaire
    • Jun 2004

Re:: New Album from Fat Boy Slim

Last week he said this:

Dance music 'in freefall', says Fatboy
    Dave Simpson
    Thursday July 15, 2004
    The Guardian

Fatboy Slim has added to dance music's sense of crisis by claiming that the genre is "in freefall". The DJ artist, responsible for dance smashes such as Praise You and The Rockafeller Skank, says the scene has become "stagnant".

"We need a new Daft Punk or someone to kick us up the arses and give us a new gag," he says. "It comes and goes in waves. But dance music is going through a very fallow period." Fatboy - real name Norman Cook - insists that people still want to dance because as a DJ he is playing bigger and bigger gigs, but admits he has trouble finding "decent tracks" to play.

Fatboy's disillusionment explains why his long-awaited new album, Palookaville, has more of a rock direction. He has picked up his bass for the first time since leaving guitar band the Housemartins in 1988 and says that while recording the follow-up to 2000's Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars he kept discarding dance-influenced numbers.

"I scrapped two albums of material," he says. "I was recording while dance music was freefalling and I'd finish, step back and think: 'This is rubbish.' " He also suggests that his much-publicised "marital interruptions" and a "midlife crisis about where I fit in" made Palookaville a difficult album to put together. But, he insists, it will be worth the wait.

Guests on the album include renowned Parliament bassist Bootsy Collins - who Fatboy enlisted on vocals - and Blur's Damon Albarn, who sings Putting It Back Together, which Cook admits was inspired by repairing his marriage to Zoe Ball. Palookaville is expected in October.

Fatboy Slim has added to dance music's sense of crisis by claiming that the genre is "in freefall".
    Ask me a question...

Comment

Working...