Will you give some appreciation .. Will you give some appreciation for this man ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • i!!ustrious
    I got some N64 Games Yo!!
    • Mar 2008

Re: Will you give some appreciation .. Will you give some appreciation for this man .

^

i always thought that prog started a lil earlier than 99?
    (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

Re: Will you give some appreciation .. Will you give some appreciation for this man .

sweet...love this old school stuff. never gets old.

Comment

• fletcher
        Platinum Poster
        • Jul 2005

Theres nothing wrong with "good trance"
        http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lucky charms
          i always thought that prog started a lil earlier than 99?
          It gets confusing, I'd say pre-99 was nearer to Progressive Trance (but I label my cherished NE1 and 1997 JJJ set as "Progressive House") .

It's funny reading the Global Underground liner notes. For GU009 the word "Trance" was being used for Sasha but he was also playing "Progressive House" classics !

For GU013 "Deep Melodic House" and "Sleek Trance" is talked about ... but also a "Darker" sound on CD2. By GU014 Digweeds sound is in parts "Dark House" but Digweeds "traditional Trance dynamics" are also mentioned

That real dark Progressive House sound hit with GU19 and Communicate. Although GU019's mention a "Progressive House movement" starting in 1993 and his GU set at Mayan includes "juddering Trance" and "hi-NRG" ... although Diggers used the "Progressive" word !!

Confused ?
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
            • Mar 2008

i thought 'pr0g' was birthed from the 'hardcore crossroads' in the early 90's.

then again, dark and progressive vibes have been around since the 70's, or, perhaps they have always been amiss.
            (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

The story goes, prog was coined with the first Leftfield album, and this was back in 91. Prog house was what happened when they took house and added harder beats and more synths to it. But during those years, I always associated the genre with acid house because the house roots were still strong, especially if you listen to the early Sasha and Digweed sets, there were a lot of pianos and vocals, but with more and more 'synthetic' elements.

Renaissance in 94 pretty much captured the evolution of that sound, and Northern Exposure in 96 changed everything as we all know.

At the same time about 97, Blue Amazon were releasing stuff that were described as Epic House or Dream House, and WOW's first album was also lumped into that sub genre.

Not sure when trance came to the fore, but back then I only knew labels like Platipus and Dragonfly, they were trance or psy-trance. What we now describe as progressive trance was pretty much trance back then, the good shit before trance blew up and became the shit it is today. I guess BT, Sasha, Oakenfold, and PVD were the ones pushing that sound.

On the GU catalog, everything was pretty progressive/trancey right up to GU14 when it went deeper, but not dark. Hong Kong had an extremely deep and tight groove and it pretty much foreshadowed GU19 to me. GU19 was a huge departure from anything that's come before, when the dark sound took off and changed the genre for good or worse.

So that's prog history according to my listening experience

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

Leftism wasnt released until 1995 -
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Sorry my bad, I was referring to the track Release The Pressure. The story was that Dom Phillips coined the term progressive house upon hearing Leftfield. But that's the story, I hadn't start listening to prog back then.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                  a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                    meat and potatoes
                    • Jun 2004

03. Way Out West - Spike

Comment

• andynewland
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jul 2004

NICE
                      Just grabbed these

Comment

• Simon Preston
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2004

Dug this out out of the archive myself and blasted it out. Would love the music to be like this again (tho poss not as fast!)
                        http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• Dzone
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Jul 2004

Nice one simon...never heard this one before ...now i know what i am doing tomorrow after X-press 2
                          ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• Dzone
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jul 2004

listing to this set now and it's just amazing how music & sasha changed since those days....ohhhhhhhhhh this brings such good memories thnx again Simon

Comment

• simonr
                              Transitionator
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Dzone
                              listing to this set now and it's just amazing how music & sasha changed since those days....ohhhhhhhhhh this brings such good memories thnx again Simon
                              Is it this week that you're catching him live Mo, or was that last weekend ?
                              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Dzone
                                Platinum Poster
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by simonr
                                Is it this week that you're catching him live Mo, or was that last weekend ?
                                was suposed to be this weekend but got canceled he will be back in October as per his website, but x-press 2 are in town so still busy weekend

Comment

Working...