X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

Re: I just got mugged at knife point

I've never heard the term "the old bill". How did it come about?
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Yao
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Glald you're alright mate, I know what it feels like (even got shot at). Robbers usually go for the quick fix and don't tend to take more than what they can immediately use -cash & credit cards as long as the latter will give. It might have been different if they had your parents' keys, but that isn't the case if I'm not mistaken.

Hey, and just realize: you are bound to run into some bad people in your life at some point...you just had your moment. Put it in perspective and don't be taken too heavily by it, alright? (you are allowed to get boozed up to help the process tho )
      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Adzey
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by chanty
        I've never heard the term "the old bill". How did it come about?
        Origins of the name "Old Bill"

We are often asked about the origins of "The Old Bill" or "The Bill" as slang names for the police. The simple answer is that no one really knows for sure. Over the years at least 13 different possibilities have been proposed, as follows:
        1. "Old Bill" was King William IV, whose constables were an early form of police. (It is often said erroneously that he was on the throne when the police were founded. Actually he did not succeed George IV until 1830)
        2. The play "The Custom of the Country" written by John Fletcher in 1619 has constables of the watch refer to themselves as 'us peacemakers and all our bill of authority'.
        3. Constables of the watch were sometimes nicknamed for the bills, or billhooks they carried as weapons.
        4. Kaiser Wilhelm I of Prussia visited England around the time in 1864 when the police uniform changed from top hat and swallowtail coat to helmet and tunic. Such 'Prussian militarism' may have led to the police being nicknamed after the first (and today less remembered) Kaiser Bill.
        5. The 'old bill' was, in Victorian times, a bill presumed to be presented by the police for a bribe to persuade them to turn a blind eye to some nefarious activity.
        6. New laws for the police to enforce all come from bills passed through Parliament
        7. "Old Bill" might refer to Bill Bailey of the music hall song 'Won't You Come Home...?' used in conjunction with a pun on the Central Criminal Court at the Old Bailey.
        8. In the 1860s there was a Sergeant Bill Smith in Limehouse. He was a popular character and people used to ask after 'Old Bill'.
        9. Many police officers wore authoritarian-looking "Old Bill" moustaches like that adorning a famous W.W.1 cartoon character 'the wily old soldier in the trenches' by Bruce Bairnsfather.
        10. In 1917 the government used Bairnsfather's character in posters and advertisements putting over wartime messages under the heading "Old Bill says...". For this campaign the character was dressed in a special constable's uniform.
        11. The original vehicles used by the Flying Squad all had the registration letters BYL, so the squad became known as 'the Bill'.
        12. The London County Council at one time registered all police, fire and ambulance vehicles with the letters BYL
        13. According to old Etonian illegal gaming club organizer and author the late Robin Cook ('Derek Raymond'), 'old bill' is a racing term for an outsider or unknown quantity. From the point of view of the underworld, police would be outsiders

Despite all these suggestions, the earliest documented usage traced by the Metropolitan Police Historical Museum is from 1970 and 'Partridge's Dictionary of Slang'. Without giving citations the book dates "Old Bill" from the 1950s "or perhaps earlier". So the term may possibly be post W.W.2.

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• chanty
          • Jun 2004

Whoa! Thanks, I'll go with #5.
          Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• chanty
            • Jun 2004

Hey Johns...did you call the old bill yet? How are you feeling?

Comment

• runningman
              Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
              • Jun 2004

hey johns glad to hear you are A ok. I got robbed at knife point a few months back (May). Make sure you go to the police and at least make a report. I wouldn't worry to much about them showing up at your parents house. They were after money not you personally. The police won't find him and you are kind of left worrying all the time.

Too bad you didn't have a gun on you!! I bet you wish you did God knows I wish I had one when I got robbed.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

sorry to hear mate.
                Don't worry about it...really its no big deal. It really does happen to anyone and honestly its just a normal part of life. I think its sometimes good that shit like that happens...just to remind us that we are alive and that there are people who are more fucked up than we are
                so cheer up
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Shpira
                  Angry Boy Child
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by runningman
                  Too bad you didn't have a gun on you!! I bet you wish you did.

The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                  Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Maff
                    Up the City
                    • Dec 2006

Hope your ok sean mate?

Comment

• Miroslav
                      WHOA I can change this!1!
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by johns
                      and i am very shaken up. .. they got my wallet with everything in it. i put a stop on my credit cards and debit cards. Thing that worries me though is my drivers license .. on it was my parents address i dont have my address on it. I feel that once they find out i have put a stop on it they will go to my parents house. what do i do. i have not been to the police yet. maybe i will go tomorrow.
                      I am sorry to hear what happened to you. But WHY in the world would you wait until tomorrow to go to the police?? If I was you, I'd have already called the police and my family asap. Time is of the essence here.
                      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• etincelles
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2005

damn....

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

Sorry to hear about that bro.
                          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• kassios
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Glad that you re safe man...i would definetely go to the police and report...you might be lucky that a good citizen found it and took it to the closest station round your area.
                            http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Oct 2004

Ouch, good thing nobody was hurt. Sorry this happened, what city do you live in?
                              soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• poults
                                Platinum Poster
                                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Miroslav
                                I am sorry to hear what happened to you. But WHY in the world would you wait until tomorrow to go to the police?? If I was you, I'd have already called the police and my family asap. Time is of the essence here.
                                Totally agree with this man, should have done it right away really. Anyway at least your ok and all that stuff can be replaced. At the end off the day life is worth more than a bit of money and shit.
                                Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

Working...