X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alpinevpr
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Unemployment Update

For all of you who remember, around March of this year I started a thread announcing my intentions to live off the government for a couple months while in school. I figured I would update ya'll who flamed me for being so proud of this feat.

After waiting 2 weeks for the UI office to make a decision I started to look for a job. Turned out that after waiting 4 weeks, I was denied. So my bills piled up, and my cell phone was shut off briefly. I might lose my life insurance policy and my bank account was closed. So after going through the Bank of America crazy test and 4 interviews they let me know that they "would keep my scores on file for 2 years", no dice from B of A. Then I went to interview for another bank, no dice. Then after 3 months of no money (borrowing $1,000 from my parents) and almost being turned over to collections I have a job.

I like it, I audit stores for the business that runs all the Chevron gas stations around my home town and a little bit around the state. I occasionally get bored and come here to [ms]. I'm sure you are all happy to know that my unemployment didn't cost you a dime. Just my sanity, and credit rating.

• Northern Exposed
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

He's lying. He's actually a he-bitch in downtown Reno. I saw him in his pink spandex on the way to work this morning. He was hitting on some John trying to get a date. :wink:
    I ain't no damn noobie. Bitch.

Comment

• MJDub
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

Didn't I see him on Insomniac?
      http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

does your state allow an appeals process if you get denied?

Sucks man; I too am on the check...though it isn't too much, and I have been for about 3 months...

People can flame about that all you want, but UI is mostly paid for through businesses...so if you lose a job through one, file!

And how tough can the market be? Give you a nice recent example...I applied for a new Costco (Warehouse Wholesale Store) store that's opening up in about 6 weeks. The company is looking to hire probably around the lines of 150-170 people....

They got over 3500 applications in the week available to apply...

don't tell me the economy is "improving" because there's still way too many freaking people looking for work/2nd/3rd jobs out there...

(on a brief side note I can get in with an insurance company, but I have to pass the state licensing tests first...so I'm praying there)
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Alpinevpr
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

Yeah there is an appeal process but I was tired of the bull shit. I had to wait 4 weeks to find out I was denied. I didn't want to wait another 4 to find out I was denied again or to find out I got it and then get 8 weeks worth of back wages. Hell, I easily got a job in less than 4 weeks. It was just bullshit. If anyone should be out of work it is the damn UI office. Those people work slower than a sloth on Ambien.

Comment

• algy
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

You must have not done your research on how to collect unemployment. If you fit the following then you?re a shoe-in for sure.

1) Be a minority other than white (even though white is a minority in most cities now.)
            2) Never held a decent job in your life. (Basically needed to start collecting after you drop out of High School or Grammar School in some cases)
            3) Start having children at a cyclic rate of 1 per year even though you don't have the means to support them.
            4) Begin substance abuse or at least have a history of it.

If you meet the listed criteria, you may continue to collect if you meet the following:

See above 1-4

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
            "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

^Are you sure that's not the welfare criteria?

Comment

• MJDub
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                That's what I was thinking.
                http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• Alpinevpr
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

I think it might be both.

Comment

• algy
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                    Feel free to apply them to both.

Just curious, is this the same doctrine that other countries follow?
                    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                    "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• diskofreak
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jun 2004

Re: Unemployment Update

Originally posted by Alpinevpr
                      For all of you who remember, around March of this year I started a thread announcing my intentions to live off the government for a couple months while in school. I figured I would update ya'll who flamed me for being so proud of this feat.

After waiting 2 weeks for the UI office to make a decision I started to look for a job. Turned out that after waiting 4 weeks, I was denied. So my bills piled up, and my cell phone was shut off briefly. I might lose my life insurance policy and my bank account was closed. So after going through the Bank of America crazy test and 4 interviews they let me know that they "would keep my scores on file for 2 years", no dice from B of A. Then I went to interview for another bank, no dice. Then after 3 months of no money (borrowing $1,000 from my parents) and almost being turned over to collections I have a job.

I like it, I audit stores for the business that runs all the Chevron gas stations around my home town and a little bit around the state. I occasionally get bored and come here to [ms]. I'm sure you are all happy to know that my unemployment didn't cost you a dime. Just my sanity, and credit rating.

wow that blows, u could of got a shit off the books job or something, just to pay the bills, untill u got unemployment

Comment

• tintin
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jun 2004

glad you found a job I hate not working.

Comment

• Galapidate
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

Glad you found a job. It's really hard these days; I had to apply for a summer job last fall :P

Comment

• nbpgt
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

someone who is down on their luck of finding a job doesnt bother me as much as someone who just doesnt want to do anyhting for themselves to better themselves... so no flames here

Comment

• FM
                              Wooooooo!
                              • Jun 2004

indeed there's a big difference..what's worse though is a lot of the #'s don't reflect people who have stopped giving up looking for work, even for a short time because it's just THAT frustrating to find one.

When you hear this all the time...

"We'll call you/be in touch/whenever" (and they never do)

"You're not qualified enough."

"We've decided to go with another candidate..." (and the posting REMAINS OPEN)

or, for that matter send off 200 resumes, etc. and not hear back from anyone (or maybe 2 or 3, which means you're hitting some averages)...

you really begin to wonder after a while.

For those of you that have jobs, even if you hate them to death do NOT leave them...wait until a bonafide offer comes in elsewhere.

And for those who don't give a crap anymore and don't want to work...I'll be laughing when you're the first ones to hit the bottom of the barrel... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
                              FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                              "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                              Facebook!
                              A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

Working...