X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NastyD
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Did anyone see The Power of Nightmares on the BBC

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm. This program looked at the history behind the current war against terrorism and specifically al-Qaeda and made some seriously interesting points.

It concerns itself with the history of the neo-conservatives in the US who believe that power lies in being able to define an enemy that represents EVIL (previously the USSR an now al-Qaeda) that it is America's (the force for GOOD) task to destroy, and the Islamic extremists who believe that they need a cause behind which the masses can support them.

Some of the points it raises are:
    1. There is no such thing as al-Qaeda - A sophisticated world wide network of terrorist sleeper cells waiting for instructions to kill us all. Extremists who want to destroy our way of life ? yes; but centrally organised - no.
    2. al-Qaeda in its current form was invented for the purposes of the 911 trial where the only way that Bin-Laden could be implicated was to prove that he was the head of an organisation. This fitted into law used to prosecute Mafia heads in the past and Bin-Laden has been only too pleased to adopt this to enhance his own reputation.
    3. Bin-Laden did not conceive or plan 911. He provided funding and man power.
    4. The reason that the war on terrorism has taken on the importance that it has is because it provides the government (who's current powerbase is the neo-conservatives of which George Dubbya is one) with power. Governments realise that they cannot be elected easily by promising a better life for us all as we are all too cynical. Instead they now promise to protect us for grave danger. If no suitable source of grave danger exists then they'll make one up.
    5. Bin-Laden made a conscious decision to adopt America as THE ENEMY because his previous tactic of killing Arabic leaders who adopted western ideals over Moslem doctrine in order to stir the masses into uprise and the creation of Moslem states didn't work.

I have no way of knowing just how much of the what the program said was actually the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, bit it certainly answered a few concerns that I have had.
    An ounce of image is worth a pound of performance.
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

interesting.

I do not agree with many of the points. Because terrorists have been around for some time. Now if they call themselves Al-Qaeda or not ... that could be in dispute.

Anyway you look at it. Terrorists always win. From the attack on 9-11, look how much attention it has brought to the Middle East and Islamic Faith.

It is entirely effective and I see no reason why it would stop with the murder of cells and training camps. It really is not a physical entity. It constitutes with a lot of anger and faith. You get those two mixed up ... it is a fucking ticking bomb. Do not believe me, history will tell you the same.
    dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Interesting. I disagree with some of those points and agree with others. I agree whole-heartedly with the idea that the whole neo-con strategy is to scare you and sell you insurance (i.e., "the terrorists are coming, but we'll protect you").

Comment

• ian
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Re: Did anyone see The Power of Nightmares on the BBC

Originally posted by NastyD
        Governments realise that they cannot be elected easily by promising a better life for us all as we are all too cynical. Instead they now promise to protect us for grave danger. If no suitable source of grave danger exists then they'll make one up.
        Very True - George Bush may be the best person to protect america from it's enemies, but he's also the best person to make america enemies!
        Signature for Rent - ?1/character

Comment

Working...