X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

changing boot partition in osx

So I installed Windows 7 on my macbook, but since windows likes to screw around with the partition boot flag (is what im guessing since this is what it does on my pc), now i cant get back to my osx partition since it boots directly into windows.

can i just boot off of a linux boot cd and mark the osx partition bootable, and turn this off for the windows partition? not sure if this is the right way to do this on a mac, if its just like a pc or if i should be doing something else.

i used bootcamp to install windows but it looks like it had no control over windows making only itself visible during bootup since it screwed with the bootable flags...
  • etincelles
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2005

Re: changing boot partition in osx

Last edited by etincelles; April 19, 2010, 01:49:21 PM.

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

well this damn thing is still all jacked up. i tried to change it but it doesnt boot and cant find the root disk. i dont know if it overwrote the mbr or what. booting from the osx install disc and messing with the disk related utils didnt help either.
      i might have to reinstall the whole thing
      i dont want to do that and then still find out it wont boot b/c windows screwed with the mbr or something outside the os volume. why is microsoft still writing stupid code like this? they dont think it is possible for people now days to run more than one os on a computer?

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

This is what GParted is showing me:

Code:
        /dev/sda1 fat32 200MB
        /dev/sda2 hfs+ 116GB
        128 MB unallocated
        /dev/sda3 ntfs
        I tried making /dev/sda1 and also /dev/sda2 bootable but it didnt work, anyone know wtf is going on?

Comment

• ddr
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

i had the same problem when i installed XP.

what i did to fix it was go into "System Preferences----> Startup Disk" and then clicked on whichever partition OSX is installed on and that seemed to have fixed what the default boot partition is.

if i need XP, i restart and hold the command button to choose the XP partition... if i restart, XP is still the default.

don't know what you did or if this will fix your problem but it fixed mine.
          "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• res0nat0r
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • May 2006

Something was screwy as I couldnt even see the osx partition from the mac disk tool from the install disc.

i rebooted again into my linux bootcd and I selected the 200M sda1 partition again as bootable and rebooted and it worked. i can get back into my mac now, but holding option when i boot to select an OS to choose from only shows the mac as being installed, wtf

Comment

• ddr
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
              Something was screwy as I couldnt even see the osx partition from the mac disk tool from the install disc.

i rebooted again into my linux bootcd and I selected the 200M sda1 partition again as bootable and rebooted and it worked. i can get back into my mac now, but holding option when i boot to select an OS to choose from only shows the mac as being installed, wtf
              which is why the best windows OS is XP... anything past that is shit.
              "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Nigel Harkness
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
                which is why the best windows OS is XP... anything past that is shit.
                I agree that XP is the best of the current bunch but it is funny when we say that the best Windows OS is XP, i remember for so long XP was hated.

Comment

• Digger
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Nigel Harkness
                  I agree that XP is the best of the current bunch but it is funny when we say that the best Windows OS is XP, i remember for so long XP was hated.

AGREED...

i didnt want to install vista on my comp coz my friend told me "its ugly" "i dont understand" " i cant install shit" "blah blah blah" but i just did it and it feels great i can install what ever i want(so far) and its pretty good....
                  cant complaing!
                  https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013&g=bb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"> https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013">https://soundcloud.com/jorgecortes/j...t-s-julio-2013
                  All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

Comment

Working...