X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AlienD
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Hong Kong travel tips?

So I got booked to play in Hong Kong next week! w00t!

Anyone have tips on places to check out while I'm over there? Better yet, any MSers from HK that want to meet up?

Looking forward to visiting HK for the first time!

• day_for_night
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

hong kong kicks ass. i've been there several times...

they have one of the best public transportation systems i've ever seen. the subways are so new and clean, you'll laugh at most other cities attempts at them. use them alot, relatively cheap and very easy to use.

there is lots to see and do...one of the best things is the shopping. if you want to buy some gifts for people, especially a lady friend, go to the jade market. its on the kawloon side of hong kong (thats the mainland part, hong kong itself is an island). there will be lots of other places you can go though, you can get very cheap softwear and knock off designer stuff. i bought a pearl necklace for my sister at the jade market (which they make by hand)...i paid 60 bucks canadian for it. we had it appraised when i got back; the appraiser said between two and three thousand. Another great place to shop is the Stanely market. it gets packed during the day, so go early if you want to move around a bit easier.

you can go up on the peak tram to victoria peak, which has an amazing view of hong kong...definitely worth it.

also, if you have some time there, take half a day and go to Shenzhen, which is about a 45 minute train ride. to get there, you cross into china, so you need to apply for a chinese visa before you leave, cause it takes about a week to get one. since Shenzhen is in china, the copywrite laws pretty much go out the window. you can buy dvd's for a dollar or two in the mall right near the train station. you'll get into this big mall complex, go to the third or fourth floors and ask around for "dvds". someone will point you in the direction of groups of kids who sell them in stores (its technically illegal, so its a bit underground). just make sure not to buy dvds of movies that arent released yet (as you'll likely be getting copies of people recording them in theatres). but you can ask, they'll tell you if its a good copy or a recording.

hope that helps a bit...

Comment

• innocentbystander
      Getting warmed up
      • Jun 2004

I was born in Hong Kong and I still go back every few years - I love the place so damned much! I think everybody eventually makes their way up to Victoria Peak, and it's worth it. While you're up there, you might as well go to the Movenpick buffet/restraunt. Good food and variety, bit on the spendier side though. All I usually care about when I go back to HK is to do some serious shopping - especially since I live in Oregon and you can't find any good brands here. At least not easily. Anyway, places to do some high-end shopping in HK: Central, Jordan, Admirality, and of course Kowloon. I was back in HK at the beginning of the year and my aunt brought me to have high tea at the Penninsula hotel - probably HK's most exclusive/expensive hotel. That was actually a lot of fun! It was about a half an hour wait, and it's about $30.00 US per person, so it's definitely not cheap. But I've never experienced anything like that before, so it was definitely worth it.

Comment

• picklemonkey
        Double hoodie beer monster
        • Jun 2004

That's fucking awesome, Alien. Take plenty of pictures for us

Comment

• AlienD
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
          That's fucking awesome, Alien. Take plenty of pictures for us
          Definitely!

Thanks for the tips, you guys...I'm really looking forward to this. It all happened at the last minute, I found out today that I'm playing there next weekend.

BTW I'm staying in Kowloon, so it looks like shopping will be a primary activity!

Comment

• diskofreak
            Gold Gabber
            • Jun 2004

Re: Hong Kong travel tips?

wow!!!
            i want to go now...

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
              i bought a pearl necklace for my sister
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                Double hoodie beer monster
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                :ROFLMAO: he made it by hand, too

hope he doesn't go pearl diving in Hong Kong

Comment

• skahound
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • Jun 2004

"How come you get to spend the money then? You said that you gave Mary Jane a pearl necklace!"

"You obviously missed the point of that story!"

Comment

• diskofreak
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jun 2004

i want a 2000$$ pearl necklace for 60 bucks :cry:

Comment

• day_for_night
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                      umm i didnt say i GAVE my sister a pearl necklace, you sick bastard. i bought her one for her b-day. she is 12 years old...i'm not michael jackson here, mmmkay?

Comment

• day_for_night
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

ohh and one more tip, alien. dont drink the water...bottled only. and get your vaccinations before you go.

Comment

• AlienD
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Jun 2004

ohh and one more tip, alien. dont drink the water...bottled only. and get your vaccinations before you go.
                          i'll remember the bottled water thing for sure.

there's a vaccine shortage in the u.s. right now, wanna send some drugs down to l.a. from canada? :wink:

Comment

• MJ
                            Here since 2002
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by diskofreak
                            i want a 2000$$ pearl necklace for 60 bucks :cry:
                            I can supply said nacklace and i wont charge a penny, it will be my pleasure... literally
                            mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• skahound
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • Jun 2004

umm i didnt say i GAVE my sister a pearl necklace, you sick bastard. i bought her one for her b-day. she is 12 years old...i'm not michael jackson here, mmmkay?
                              Keep telling yourself that dude.

Comment

Working...