X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Bruichladdich

I went to a private (paid) tasting of most of the expressions from Bruichladdich over the past 30 years or so...

holy crap!! scotch at it's finest. I tasted everything from the 10 and 12 up to limited releases of their expressions that are 20+ years old. Incredible. I'll dig out the list and type it later.

I highly recommend giving them a try if you can find it. Sooo fking good. This distillery just replaced Oban as my favorite.

We've had a scotch thread before, but it's time for a new one...

Scotch drinkers...what are you drinking?

At Bruichladdich Distillery, our ambitions go beyond the simple philosophy of making and selling single malt scotch whisky. Discover our values, our ethos and why a commitment to progress is at the heart of everything we do.
  • fyrestarter
    Gold Gabber
    • Feb 2009

Re: Bruichladdich

ive had their 12 yo before and it was really good

right now im working on an oban 14, a glenmorangie 18, and still half of a bottle of a brora 30 yo ob - best scotch i've ever had
    I wonder if this new healthcare thing covers my pre-existing condition: AWESOMENESS.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I am still on Macallan 10 yrs and I have a 12 yrs waiting.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• fyrestarter
        Gold Gabber
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by feather
        I am still on Macallan 10 yrs and I have a 12 yrs waiting.
        i always have a bottle of mac12 and johnny green in the house, but those are my regular scotches. i usually drink mac12 when i go out, it's my first love
        I wonder if this new healthcare thing covers my pre-existing condition: AWESOMENESS.

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

Yeah Brora age 30 is very good indeed tried that a couple of months ago. I mostly go for Glenfiddich single malt 15 year old distillery edition...drinking good whiskey regularly can be an expensive pass time and this is only about 45£ per bottle and it tastes as though it shoud cost a lot more.
          Its at 51% yet smooth and tasty as hell...

I haven't tried Bruichladdich
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

Glenfiddich 15 is a go to staple. it's rated highly in the whiskey bible and a hell of a drinker for a scotch under $50. I won't do the 12, but the 15 is exceptional.

Oban 14 is my favorite scotch ever. The perfect balance between the smokey peaty scotches and the smooth easy drinking scotches. Such an amazing balance. There is a place here in the city that sells it under $60, which is a fking steal.

Had a few glasses of Aberlour 16 from Highland last week at a local wine bar that was really interesting. Heavy toffe/carmel notes on the palette and had one of the more interesting noses in a glass i've had in awhile, really hard to match the smell with the taste. Very different. Dunno if i'd drink it all the time, but give it a try if you see it on the menu, it's interesting.

Most of the Glenmorangie i've tried is aight. They're good, but i never find myself ordering any at a bar/restaurant or buying a bottle of it, because i'm always finding something better. Still a solid choice if it's on a limited menu tho.

I'm going to a Highland Park tasting in a few weeks...report to follow.

Comment

• WilDFire
              Addiction started
              • Jun 2004

Hands down my fav.

Lagavulin:
              Port Ellen, Islay, Argyll Owning Company: White Horse Distillers, Glasgow
              Established: 1816
              Water Source: Solum Lochs
              Location: Occupying a site of six acres, at the head of a small bay near the south coast of Islay.
              Visitors Centre: Open all year, Tel: (Scotland) 01496 2250.
              Daily opening hours: Mon to Fri.
              The Distillery
              Situated in a small bay near the south coast of Islay, Lagavulin stands near the ruins of Dunyveg Castle. It was from here that 1,000 Islaymen set sail to fight alongside Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314, and in this bay the Macdonalds maintained their power base as Lords of the Isles until they were finally driven out by the Campbells three centuries later.
              Lagavulin legitimately claims to be one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Distilling on the site is thought to date from as early as 1742. In the late 1700s it is believed that there were up to ten illicit stills operating in the district. But by the 1830s only two distilleries remained in the bay. In 1837 these distilleries amalgamated to form Lagavulin. At this stage the distillery was under the ownership of the Graham brothers and James Logan Mackie, uncle of Sir Peter Mackie who later became one of the 'big five' in the whisky industry.
              The Distillery Today
              By 1875 Lagavulin was producing 75,000 gallons of whisky. It was chosen by United Distillers for their Classic Malts series in 1988/89 and is now more widely available.
              Music makes the soul strong.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

"Aberlour 16 yr" old yeah I had a bottle of that with a six pack of pepsi max on the side once while on a trip ...ended up puking my guts out at 7 in the morning... Too oak-y-toffee kinda flavored for my taste.
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

lagavulin is where its at, by far my fave. oban is very nice. there are some excellent bowmore's (the 'darkest' and 18 year old come to mind)

Comment

• Dhar_2
                    meat and potatoes
                    • Jun 2004

Talisker is known for its above average peat content, and "salty" (or "spicy") character. While the brand is generally well-accepted and sells well, the high phenol level and distinct taste may prove "challenging" for the casual whisky drinker. The distiller began producing special bottlings of the whisky for connoiseurs in the early 2000s, with a 20 and 25 year bottling (where previously only a 10 year and 18 year were available). The 25-year bottling was, despite being more expensive than the 20-year bottling, distributed more widely. Both have proved to be relatively popular.
                    The malt used is peated to a phenol level of approximately 25 parts per million (ppm), which is quite high.[citation needed] Additionally, the water used for production, from Cnoc nan Speireag, flows over peat which adds additional peatiness to the whisky.

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

Bowmore in my opinion is the worst single malt whiskey I have ever drank...I am talking specifically about the 15 and 18 year old...one could possibly argue that you are supposed to drink them with water but I was never one to dilute the nectar of gods.
                      The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• highdesert
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Sep 2008

Have not tried a ton of scotches, Oban was pretty good, Glennfiddich and glenmorangieare ok, did not like any Islay I tried but my preference and the only scotch I keep in the house is Glennlivet 18, far and away my favorite. Certainly cant be considered a purist since a put a single ice cube in the glass instead of water.

Comment

• Yao
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

Still a Talisker fan here, I just love it.

Balvenie Doublewood and Highland Park 18yrs also still very high ranking. Jenks, I really wanna hear about the Highland Park tasting man...
                          Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• Kamal
                            Administrator
                            • May 2002

I have to bring this thread back up and agree with this one. What a scotch. Have not tasted anything that even remotely comes close to this. Glenlivet, Chivas, Ballentine, Glenfiddich, Macallan, etc. etc. come no where near this one. This is first time I drank a scotch that didn't taste like the shitty "scotch" taste you'd have to have grow on you. Worst part is, you can't enjoy anything else now that you know what Lagavulin tastes like

Originally posted by WilDFire
                            Hands down my fav.

Lagavulin:
                            Port Ellen, Islay, Argyll Owning Company: White Horse Distillers, Glasgow
                            Established: 1816
                            Water Source: Solum Lochs
                            Location: Occupying a site of six acres, at the head of a small bay near the south coast of Islay.
                            Visitors Centre: Open all year, Tel: (Scotland) 01496 2250.
                            Daily opening hours: Mon to Fri.
                            The Distillery
                            Situated in a small bay near the south coast of Islay, Lagavulin stands near the ruins of Dunyveg Castle. It was from here that 1,000 Islaymen set sail to fight alongside Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314, and in this bay the Macdonalds maintained their power base as Lords of the Isles until they were finally driven out by the Campbells three centuries later.
                            Lagavulin legitimately claims to be one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Distilling on the site is thought to date from as early as 1742. In the late 1700s it is believed that there were up to ten illicit stills operating in the district. But by the 1830s only two distilleries remained in the bay. In 1837 these distilleries amalgamated to form Lagavulin. At this stage the distillery was under the ownership of the Graham brothers and James Logan Mackie, uncle of Sir Peter Mackie who later became one of the 'big five' in the whisky industry.
                            The Distillery Today
                            By 1875 Lagavulin was producing 75,000 gallons of whisky. It was chosen by United Distillers for their Classic Malts series in 1988/89 and is now more widely available.
                            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                            Originally posted by ace_dl
                            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• toasty
                              Sir Toastiness
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                              Oban 14 is my favorite scotch ever. ... There is a place here in the city that sells it under $60, which is a fking steal.
                              Pardon? Even Randall's is $75. Please share. That's become my go-to "out and about" scotch.

Comment

Working...