X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • esef
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Tokyo's $13,000 'hedonist dinner'

New York City's epicurean elite flew into a tizzy when Masa, a restaurant at the new Time Warner Center, began charging $400 a head for a meal. But that's a pittance compared with what a Tokyo hotel is charging for the "Hedonist Dinner" this December. The pricetag? $13,000.

The Hotel Seiyo Ginza in Tokyo enlisted wine expert Robert M. Parker Jr. and legendary (and previously semi-retired) French chef Joel Robuchon to plan the feast. The wine list will feature eight rare historical wines?including an 1864 Lafite and a 1961 Latour a Pomerol (total bar tab: $200,000, according to Christie's). Just 22 seats are available, and the hotel will confirm only that "several" are filled and that it expects the meal to sell out.

This gastronomic tour de force is one of a growing number of events aimed at establishing Japan as a lifestyle destination for the super-rich. Seiyo Ginza managing director Lloyd S. Nakano says no price would have been too high for this adventure. "Never plan with your wallet," he says. "It gets in the way of creativity!" Easy to say, when it's not your wallet.

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Go figure, cheap bastards are serving Spaghetti O's for dinner. Sheesh.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• villo
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Re: Tokyo's $13,000 'hedonist dinner'

i would like to know what kind of music they will be listening to ?????
      if you have not tried it, don't knock it...

Comment

• thesightless
        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
        • Jun 2004

13k for overpriced food and booze?

if they follow trend i would say oakie or tiesto
        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Hah, down here in Orlando before the election Senator-elect Mel Martinez hosted a dinner where you were charged $10,000 per plate, well, that was if you wanted your picture taken with Barbara Bush. It was only $5000 per plate otherwise.
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• maddlingo
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

I would like to make a reservation for 2 under the name, Harry, P. Ness.
            "Dream as if you''ll live forever, Live as if you''ll die today." -- James Dean --

Comment

• picklemonkey
              Double hoodie beer monster
              • Jun 2004

how much to push Barbara's out of her chair? Because that's something I'd have realistically paid for

Comment

• chato
                Gold Gabber
                • Jun 2004

crazy people paying hilarious amounts of money
                ...enjoy every single second

Comment

• remy
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Sep 2004

Apparently this is the most expensive meal ever ...

"On July 5th, 2001 six diners at Petrus, London, UK spent ?"44,007 ($62,13 on one meal. The bill consisted mainly of five bottles of wine as, once the bill had been added up, the ?300 ($424) charge for food was taken off. The most expensive bottle was a 1947 Chateau Petrus vintage claret worth ?12,300 ($17,36, followed by the slightly cheaper 1945 Chateau Petrus at ?11,600 ($16,379). A 1946 Chateau Petrus cost ?9,400 ($13,273) apparently due to this being a poor year. A 1900 Chateau d'Yquem dessert wine cost ?9,200 ($12,990) and 1982 bottle of Montrachet was a snip at ?1,400 ($1,977). The remaining ?107 ($151) consisted of water, a fruit juice, cigarettes and six glasses of champagne."

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

thats some ridiculous shit!
                    if i had that kind of money, i'd personally put up the MercuryServer Party @ wmc in '05.

Comment

Working...