X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mariner1
    Banned
    • Feb 2009

fatboy slim vs. armand van helden

anyone know where I can find some vids of this? Spent a half hour looking through youtube and got nothing. (actually, i should be asking if anyone remembers this glorious set played from a boxing ring).
  • chunky
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jan 2006

Re: fatboy slim vs. armand van helden

I remember the gig, it was at Brixton Academy
    Originally posted by res0nat0r
    OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Adzey
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Mar 2008

was it?
      if you on about the one on radio one it was at trentham gardens near stoke

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• chunky
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • Jan 2006

Yep I think you right. I was sure the played Brixton.

Comment

• chunky
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jan 2006

I think they played both. I found this

A Date With Destiny - Fatboy Slim vs Armand Van Helden- Big Beat Boutique

Brixton Acadamy - Friday 11th June 1999. Cut La Roc Support

The camera crews at the door indicate that something very special is happening tonight, as you walk upto Brixton Acadamy past hundreds of fans desperate to get their hands on the last few tickets for a once in a lifetime opportunity to see two of the worlds biggest DJs in action - at the same time. Cut La Roc is already entertaining the quickly expanding crowd on the dance floor (there is no stage or anything like that - just a full scale rotating boxing ring, with a huge rig of video screens hovering above it. Throughout the night these screens are filled with live streams of the DJs in action, and the resultant ker-azy dancing from the people lucky enough to be ring-side. Like me. Full shots of my face were subjected to the thousands of die-hard fatboy-fans, at least twenty or thirty times we looked up to see our faces the size of a two story building - it pays to get there early for a gig like this. Cut La Roc seemed to have a great time warming the crowd up - he’s one of the friendliest DJs I have met in recent times - it was strange that I was one of only a handful of people interested in talking to him as he was packing his gear up, as he has the world record breaking talent to be one of the big stars of the future - from Skint’s beginnings he’s always been second only to Fatboy Slim as far as I’m concerned, and his new mix album FSUK4* reiterates this.

To much applause and cheering, Armand Van Helden enters the ring from one side, accompanied by an understandably large group of security men, and a geezer wielding the star-spangled banner. The unexpectedly short Van Helden drops his silk gown and removes his boxing gloves to reveal he’s dressed up for the part - customised basketball top, loads of jewellery - everything about him says ‘I’m trendy, me’. On the giant video screens we now see Norman Cook entering the ring from the other side of the arena. The crowd goes radio rental. Norman disrobes to reveal.. a Hawaiian shirt and jeans… and no-one bats an eye-lid. Norm and Armand start the theatrics at the front of the ring - forehead against forehead they stare each other out during the coin-toss to decide who will attempt to win over the crowd for an hour with their Dj-ing skills first. Armand wins the toss and elects to go first, and immediately sets about playing an impressive hour-long set of new york house an garage, starting with his forthcoming single The Boogie Monster. However impressed the crowd is with Armand’s DJ antics, they don’t really get going until he plays his number one hit single You Don’t Know Me, then die down again until Brixton boys Basement Jaxx’ Rendez-vu is dropped as a set closer.

To yet more applause Norman Cook arrives, and thrusts a litre bottle of vodka in the air - the crowd respond to every action he makes - Fatboy Slim is the Robbie Williams of the DJ world - a natural performer, with heaps of talent. On the dance-floor a whole different mood has been created just by Norman’s appearance - everyone spent the whole hour jumping up and down like an extremely happy yo-yo. Tracks incorporated in probably the best hour of live mixing I’ve heard all year, included that Des Lynam cover of Rockafeller Skank, Fucking In Heaven, Chemical Brother’s Hey Boy Hey Girl, Leftfield’s Phat Planet, Everybody Needs A 303, Right Here Right Now, Fatboy Eminem (Hi My Name Is The Funk Soul Brother), Satisfaction Skank (I Can’t Get No Funk Soul Brother), Kung Fu Fighting, and even the Kinks made a much welcomed appearance towards the end of the set.

After 4 hours, what we’d all been waiting for began - Ambidextrous - Armand Van Helden on the right deck, Fatboy Slim on the left deck for two hours, non-stop tunes from the likes of Bob Marley, plus many other peculiar choices including TLC - No Scrubs, Jungle Brothers - I’ll House You ‘98, Tori Amos - Professional Widow, Wildchild - Renegade Master (Original), You Don’t Know Me (Again), and Praise You as a very fitting finish to the event of the year. Although most people considered it to be Norman’s night, it wouldn’t have been half as fun without Armand (With his endless supply of tricks, including slowing down one record to about 10BPM, then speeding it back up to 300BPM or so, whilst mixing it with another top track) or Cut La Roc for that matter - as there was effectively two hours of Fatboy Slim, we didn’t get bored for one minute.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVJCT8QE Part 1
          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D6N1W3GW Part 2
          http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RN12MJZT Part 3

Enjoy!

Comment

• Adzey
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Mar 2008

ah sound they did both then i used to have the one from trentham gardens so if you can find that one would be appreciated!

oh and those links above are dead

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• arielus
              He's back, in Pog form
              • Jun 2004

would be nice to listen to that
              links are so dead! :P
              http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
              http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
              http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• Adzey
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Mar 2008

link for trentham garden set coming soon

Comment

• Adzey
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Mar 2008

linky in promos

i got this from martin at mixesdb and uploaded it for you guys hope you enjoy 8) http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QMR7N2UL

Comment

Working...