• Jul 2008

Re: James Zabiela Renaissance

I went to buy this today but the store didn't have it in stock

Comment

• kervokian
      Getting Somewhere
      • Nov 2006

I really love Disc one "Down"! I think James Zabiela did a great job building up a beautiful mix. Disc two however was kind of disappointing.It's not bad, and does indeed have some good moments, but in general it is ages away from previous outstanding works that were more melodic and progressive like the legendary "Sound in motion", or even the more recent "Alive" and "Utilities" compilations.
      tsvba's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

disc 1 rules. Just how i like Zabiela to play
        motherlover

Comment

• fletcher
          Platinum Poster
          • Jul 2005

I just didnt enjoy disc 1, mainly because I think its trying too hard.

I love alternative electronic music from the likes of Warp, Planet Mu etc, but if I wanted to hear some Ed Chamberlain and Boards of Canada then I wouldnt be getting my fix from Zabiela. I would play an Amon Tobin set or something.

I agree that 2 club discs would have been a better idea - hernan's mix in the series was definitely a masterclass in this.

CD2 didnt sound to me like a Zabiela set - although ive not seen him live for about 4 years so I guess quite rightly his sound has moved on. Im still in love with his Sound In Motion CDs

Dont get me wrong, Zabiela is a very talented chap I just dont get these CDs yet. Obviously a lot of effort has gone into it, and with the whole blog and promotional build up thing I guess I was expecting to be blown away. Cant win them all!
          http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• pr0ficient
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Apr 2006

Got my signed copy in the mail yesterday and have already listened to both CDs 3 or 4 times now.

Really digging this compilation. Both CDs are excellent, but I am definitely favoring CD2 atm. It was a little different than I had expected, so I can see why people might be surprised and/or be dissapointed. It definitely sounds like JZ, but that first CD is much slower than most of us have ever heard from him. Personally, I think both CDs rock though! Gonna keep this on the IPod for a LONG time!

Oh, my only problem with this CD is the physical design of the jacket. It sucks getting the CDs in and out, I immediately ripped the whole CD to my computer so I hopefully will never have to remove them again for fear of damaging them.

Comment

• unrecogniseduser
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

sounds like someones analysis of a cd is trying to hard. I enjoyed both discs, Zabiela knows how to put tunes together. You could still tell extremely easily it was him, if you just put the discs on and didnt see the case, thats one of the things i like most about him
              motherlover

Comment

• fletcher
                Platinum Poster
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by unrecogniseduser
                sZabiela knows how to put tunes together. You could still tell extremely easily it was him, if you just put the discs on and didnt see the case, thats one of the things i like most about him
                Im not disputing the quality of the mixing or the effort gone into it, i just dont feel the tunes on either disc for different reasons
                http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

Many Dj's seem to be striving for somthing else other than traditional mix CD's.

Sasha completly re-works tracks ... throws 'em away .. and then re-works another batch .. Diggers has been layering his cheeky edits in groups ... Joris Voorn took it a step further, and JZ has been matching tracks to his field recordings (which takes us back to invol2ver which includes Sasha's NY field recordings).

The true test is if the CD's gathers dust/end up on e-bay .. or get put on every so often because they're timeless (like the NE series or GU classics etc.).

Only time will tell.
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• kervokian
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by simonr
                    Many Dj's seem to be striving for somthing else other than traditional mix CD's.

Sasha completly re-works tracks ... throws 'em away .. and then re-works another batch .. Diggers has been layering his cheeky edits in groups ... Joris Voorn took it a step further, and JZ has been matching tracks to his field recordings (which takes us back to invol2ver which includes Sasha's NY field recordings).

The true test is if the CD's gathers dust/end up on e-bay .. or get put on every so often because they're timeless (like the NE series or GU classics etc.).

Only time will tell.
                    Exactly! I agree 100% with you Simon on this.
                    tsvba's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

Comment

• Aleks_B
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Nov 2006

Disc one is kool, but not my type of tunes. Disc two starts amazing but in my opinion drifts a little too much into spaceyness. I guess i just like it when Zabiela plays more slamming, but definitely a great listen non the less...
                      aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

It's alright, certainly not as bad as it sounds from the feedback in this thread. CD 1 sounds like any other chill out CD, CD 2 had good moments.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Aleks_B
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Nov 2006

ok, i think for some reason i wasn't diggin cd 2 yesterday as much as i am right now!

this is definitely growing on me. Zabiela's brand of twisted techno ftw!
                          aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• D.Williams
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Aug 2006

Got mine in the mail the other day also...

CD 1 is just amazing, so Damn good.... The transitions are perfect and it has an excellent build to it.

CD 2 is good, but I was a bit disappointed. It started off strong, but then it was kinda boring. But I still like it...

If you ask me the Renaissance promo he did for Proton should have been CD 2.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                              DJ Jelly
                              • Jun 2004

Finally got my signed copy yesterday. I moved so it took a little wjhile longer to go through the forwarding process. Can't wai to check it out on my way to Miami this weekend

Comment

Working...