X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Travel Agents

How in the world do these folks stay in business? Just booked a vacation yesterday; there is a travel agent in my building that had provided me with some brochures and whatnot in the past, so I decided to book it through her as a courtesy, even though I knew exactly where I was going, etc.

What a pain in the ass that turned out to be:

-Initially, she wasn't able to book at the place we are going at all
    -When she figured out a way to book it, she was only able to book the smallest, most basic room available
    -With my help, she figures out a way to book other rooms, and really lays it on thick about what an ordeal it was to do that, and
    -She books us on a group transfer after having told her we wanted a private transfer so we didn't spend all afternoon stopping at every resort to drop people off

Oh, and when it was all said and done, it ended up costing me more than if I had just booked it myself. Not a lot more, but more nevertheless.

Again, how on earth do these folks stay in business? In the internet age, not only is there very little need to use a travel agent, I spent much of the process trying to unfuck what she'd done or shepherd her through getting in touch with our resort and explaining what options/deals were available. If I'd just booked it myself, it would have taken 15 minutes at the most -- instead, it took two days.

Never again.

[/rant]
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Re: Travel Agents

I would have said never mind earlier on, your loyalty and patience is commendable imo.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• day_for_night
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

i don't think they all suck that much at their jobs....

Comment

• chanty
        John, John, where art thou!
        • Jun 2004

I usually call a travel agent to see what price they can get me, but I always find cheaper prices and book online.
        Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
          i don't think they all suck that much at their jobs....
          Probably true, but even if it had gone seamlessly, what is the incentive to use one nowadays? The days of it being an enormous hassle to book a trip on your own are over, and if I can get a better deal, faster, on my own, I don't see the point.

I guess there are those that aren't internet savvy that would still have a need, but it has to be an industry that will die away over time...

Comment

• raoul
            Getting warmed up
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by toasty
            How in the world do these folks stay in business? Just booked a vacation yesterday; there is a travel agent in my building that had provided me with some brochures and whatnot in the past, so I decided to book it through her as a courtesy, even though I knew exactly where I was going, etc.

What a pain in the ass that turned out to be:

-Initially, she wasn't able to book at the place we are going at all
            -When she figured out a way to book it, she was only able to book the smallest, most basic room available
            -With my help, she figures out a way to book other rooms, and really lays it on thick about what an ordeal it was to do that, and
            -She books us on a group transfer after having told her we wanted a private transfer so we didn't spend all afternoon stopping at every resort to drop people off

Oh, and when it was all said and done, it ended up costing me more than if I had just booked it myself. Not a lot more, but more nevertheless.

Again, how on earth do these folks stay in business? In the internet age, not only is there very little need to use a travel agent, I spent much of the process trying to unfuck what she'd done or shepherd her through getting in touch with our resort and explaining what options/deals were available. If I'd just booked it myself, it would have taken 15 minutes at the most -- instead, it took two days.

Never again.

[/rant]
            well they handle a lot of business and corporate travel, i would say is almost 90% of their business.
            filthy boy

Comment

• DancingQueen
              AVB FanClub | President
              • Oct 2005

I think they stay in business because if you book through them, you can usually cancel if you have to and get a refund. When I booked online for Miami last year and had to cancel later on, they said they couldn't refund my money. I lost the majority of it and got stuck with an $80 credit for the remainder.
              sigpic
              RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
              RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

1. people are generally lazy
                2. Not many know how to use the internet properly
                3. they are afraid that something will go wrong and that they will have no one to help them or to complain to

That's my opinion...I have never used a travel agent, I get everything cheaper online and its more of an adventure to go without your whole thing planned out for you...although that's a personal thing I am still young I guess.
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Shpira
                  1. people are generally lazy
                  2. Not many know how to use the internet properly
                  3. they are afraid that something will go wrong and that they will have no one to help them or to complain to

That's my opinion...I have never used a travel agent, I get everything cheaper online and its more of an adventure to go without your whole thing planned out for you...although that's a personal thing I am still young I guess.
                  agreed, it's a different story when you have a family though.. you dont want to be stuck anywhere with screaming kids

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

i still use student travel agents - despite not having been a student for many many many years. they seem to find great deals
                    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DancingQueen
                      I think they stay in business because if you book through them, you can usually cancel if you have to and get a refund. When I booked online for Miami last year and had to cancel later on, they said they couldn't refund my money. I lost the majority of it and got stuck with an $80 credit for the remainder.
                      Oh, I forgot to mention that the cancellation policy booking through the travel agent was more strict than if I booked directly through the hotel. Ended up buying trip insurance to compensate (although, in fairness, I probably would have bought that anyway, just for that extra peace of mind in case something happens last minute).

I'm over it, though, and now am just looking forward to the trip (even though it's still a long ways away). 'Tis nice to have something to look forward to, though -- the anticipation is often a big part of the trip for us...

Comment

• Miroslav
                        WHOA I can change this!1!
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by toasty
                        How in the world do these folks stay in business?
                        I've wondered this myself. I've never used one; I can point and click on Travelocity just fine on my own.
                        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

Working...