Can anybody help - weird Firefox problem?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Can anybody help - weird Firefox problem?

Ok, 2 days ago I decided to go on X Box Live for the 1st time in 2 years to get the new GTA add-on 'The Lost & The Damned'.

To do this, I removed my internet connection from the cable modem box, put the x box cable in and logged in - I also have a router.

Anyway this meant that I couldnt go onto the internet because the x box was plugged in - that was fine as I didn't need to go onto the net anyway.

When I'd finished with X Box Live I removed the cable, plugged my normal internet back in and tried to go online.

Normally I use Firefox - but now the page loads but it's just a blank screen - when I type in a webpage or select a bookmark nothing happens - it simply says 'Done' at the foot of the screen in the narrative bar.

At first I thought that I'd messed it up with the X Box thing, BUT when I use internet explorer it works fine, no problems? I can't understand it.

I cant even use the help option in firefox because it just stays as a blank screen?

Any thoughts?
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: Can anybody help - weird Firefox problem?

Check your proxy settings in Firefox?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• GregWhelan
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Jun 2004

I've gone to Tools>Options and selected the Network tab in the Advanced screen.Then selected 'Settings' in the 'Configure how firefox connects to the Internet'.

It was set to 'No Proxy'. Is that a problem (I don't even know what proxy means to be honest!).

I changed it to 'Auto detect proxy settings' but that made no difference?

There are 2 further options but they require actually typing in port numbers etc?

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

No I can't imagine that being a problem, what kinda internet do you have? Most ISPs will let you browse the net with No Proxy set.

This is really weird. Are you running any firewalls that could block Firefox? You're sure IE runs fine? Maybe check your proxy settings in IE, though I will suspect it's set to No Proxy as well.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• GregWhelan
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

Yeah, IE is fine which I just can't understand.

When in Firefox, if I type in an address or select a bookmark, the status bar on the bottom will very quickly flash up with 'looking for www.etc' and then say 'Done' but the screen remains blank?

Comment

• GregWhelan
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

Although I just remembered that whilst I was on X Box, I shut my PC down and it installed 14 automatic updates before closing - could that be something to do with it?

Comment

• GregWhelan
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Sorted!

Went into my firewall program and for some reason it had blocked Mozilla - god knows why

Thanks for your advice feather

Comment

Working...