X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregWhelan
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Abstinence from alcohol

So I'm suffering today from a few beers last night and a late finish for me - fortunately I had today booked off work

I was wondering, is anybody on here completely teetotal? I am beginning to question why I actually drink alcohol? I certainly don't really enjoy the taste - on a warm day I'd rather have a cold soft drink than a cold beer to be honest. I just wonder is it worth the hangover the next day and the grogginess that that brings.

There is just one alcoholic drink that I actually enjoy, which is Guinness, but I reckon I could give that up if needed.

The thing is, peer pressure makes me drink - if I am with the lads there is no way I'd get away with having a soft drink!

I know one guy who is about 42 years old and is as fit as a fiddle, plays more football than I do and never ever drinks alcohol - he said that his body is an engine and he only puts good things in it - I can see his point
  • threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

Re: Abstinence from alcohol

Originally posted by GregWhelan
    I can see his point
    If you can see his, what make you think your friends can't see yours?
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Kamal
      Administrator
      • May 2002

today is probably the second day (in a row) in the last 2 years that I've not had a drink. it's not been easy. I dont drink a lot unless I'm with family / friends but I love my glass (or 2) of red with dinner
      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
      Originally posted by ace_dl
      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• Mariner1
        Banned
        • Feb 2009

I am, kinda. I'll drink once in a blue moon, meaning, maybe a drink once a month. But right now, even if i wanted to drink, I just can't; i've been on a liquid diet; whey and casein protein, 2.5 gallons of water a day, and copious amounts of supplements. I would get royally drunk after a beer or two. You friends makes a good point.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not drinking at all. First, you're saving copious amounts of money. Second, you're eliminating hundreds, perhaps thousands of extra calories every week. Third, there is very little nutritional benefit in alcohol (maybe wine is up for grabs?), compared to the alternatives. Fourth, who has the time to get drunk? Our jobs have become our assets in this economy, so staying on top of that requires a clear, focused mind.

my .02.

Comment

• simonr
          Transitionator
          • Jun 2004

One word for you Greg.

"Moderation"

Must admit, I've cut down as I've got older ... but I do like a nice beer.

Nowt better than getting home and having a nice cold Estrella Damm while knocking up a nice Thai Curry with some sounds on - helps me unwind ... but I may just stick to the one bottle and am tea-total 4-5 nights during the week.

I do get dragged into the beer after work scenario, which means a couple of bags of peanuts for tea and about 6-8 pints .. but I stick to quality bitter, which isn't as strong or gassey. Its great to talk shop, put the world to rights or watch the footie.

That aside I may have a bottle of wine one night (always intend to drink the bottle over 2 x nights, but it never works out like that).
          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Jenks
            I'm kind of a big deal.
            • Jun 2004

i drink every day and it's awesome.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
              I got some N64 Games Yo!!
              • Mar 2008

likewise. a 40oz a day keeps the doctor away.

best of wishes though mate, on the abstaining. cheers.
              (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Kinetic
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

I donīt think I could man.

I mean, I donīt drink everyday, but am a pretty regular drinker, mainly beer and red wine, and now that summer and the heat is here, thereīs few things which I enjoy more than getting out of work and go somewhere for a quick pint or 5.

Iīll even do it alone, so itīs not a peer pressure thing, itīs just that nothing else seems as good, really.

Besides, itīs really hard for me to get drunk on beer, or even hungover, I mean I drank 6 pints last night and woke up fresh as daisy, it helps that Iīm tall and and have been doing this for years and years. Not much of a beer belly, fortunately, that would actually bother me more than the hangovers.
                "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

I have had about....Mmmmm...1 Beer in the past 2 1/2 months.

Feel pretty good.
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

I just wonder is it worth the hangover the next day and the grogginess that that brings.
                    Have you ever considered having just one or two drinks instead of ten to fifteen? You might feel better.

I know one guy who is about 42 years old and is as fit as a fiddle, plays more football than I do and never ever drinks alcohol - he said that his body is an engine and he only puts good things in it - I can see his point
                    There are also plenty of well-documented studies that suggest that a small amount of regular alcohol intake - a glass of red wine a day - is actually good for you.

I suspect that people who are fit as a fiddle are doing more things right than just whether or not they drink alcohol, and that genetics plays a large role. I know old people who smoke and eat french fries who have outlived yoga instructors.
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• tiddles
                      Encryption, Jr.
                      • Jun 2004

i don't think i've had a drink in almost 3 weeks.

Comment

• Kamal
                        Administrator
                        • May 2002

Originally posted by tiddles
                        you suck at lying
                        www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                        he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                        Originally posted by ace_dl
                        Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                        I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• simonr
                          Transitionator
                          • Jun 2004

You're in Bourdeaux ffs !

Don't let the locals find out, they'll you.
                          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Kinetic
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

Living in Bordeaux?

Thatīs like pretending to be a eunuch in whorehouse.
                            "I play music at people" - Surgeon

http://soundcloud.com/kineticdj
                            http://djkinetic.official.fm

Comment

• Cj Tari
                              MCast Resident DJ
                              • Nov 2004

I first to cut down because of age and the effects that large amounts of beer would do to me, buuut my biggest problem was that i really enjoy a cold brewski, i mean, i just love beer so much, soooo the first thing i did was start looking for better quality beer, that way i replaced quantity with quality.

Ever since i started doing this, the hangovers have been less painful, and my drinking habits have been going down a bit, shit, i used to drink 5 out of 7 days a week, and now im only drinking one day a week, and most of the times, its with family.
                              ..:: listen :: react ::..
                              http://www.myspace.com/djcjtari
                              http://www.facebook.com/cjtari
                              http://soundcloud.com/cj-tari

Comment

Working...