X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • esef
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Prison dog gets death threats

Drug dealers have made death threats against a prison sniffer dog because he is too effective, it has been confirmed.

The animal - which is not being named to protect it from possible attack - has been remarkably effective at identifying people trying to smuggle drugs into Manchester prison.

In her latest report on the jail, Chief Inspector of Prisons Anne Owers raised concerns that the dog was "not operating in line with others at the prison".

Chiefs reacted by taking the dog out of action to test his drug-sniffing skills, and discovered he was 100% accurate. He has now been re-instated. "People have made tangible threats to kill the dog because he is so successful," said a Prison Service spokeswoman.

The dogs monitor people coming into the prison and sit down alongside someone they believe is carrying an illegal substance. He was perceived to be indicating a far higher rate than the other dogs and was taken out of commission for a few days to be re-tested. "He was found to be 100% accurate on every test."

There are six drug dogs at Manchester - formerly known as Strangeways - namely one collie, two spaniels and three Labradors. The spokeswoman declined to identify the dog involved.

"Drugs in prison are such big business that people are prepared to make threats against a poor, defenceless dog," she added. "We are pleased he is leading the fight against drugs importation into Manchester prison."

The canine was believed to have contributed to a large fall in the number of positive results in mandatory drug tests at the 1,200 inmate jail. The positive rate was 30% in 2003-4 but has fallen to just 13% in tests since April.

Anyone suspected of smuggling drugs into prison are turned away if they refuse to be searched or they are offered a closed visit - conducted through glass - at weekends. Ms Owers recommended that closed visits should not be offered solely on the results of the drug dogs.

But the Prison Service spokeswoman said they would not be changing their policy, adding: "Those who have decline to be searched still have the option of closed visits."

? Copyright Press Association Ltd 2004, All Rights Reserved

Drugs..

3-time Breakspoll nominated in the 'Best Website' category
  • ezdude1970
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: Prison dog gets death threats

for that reason alone i am a cat lover.

fucking dog deserves to die.

Comment

• muggeh
      Getting Somewhere
      • Jun 2004

Damn didn't know drugs was bad for dogs too where is it going in the world

Originally posted by ezdude1970
      for that reason alone i am a cat lover.

fucking dog deserves to die.
      Are you hiding something ?

Comment

• thrualoooop
        Addiction started
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by esef
        The dogs monitor people coming into the prison and sit down alongside someone they believe is carrying an illegal substance.
        Drugs..
        damn don't hate a dog for trying to get in the rotation.....puff puff give!
        i'm not a real dork i just play one on the internet.......

Comment

• skahound
          Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
          • Jun 2004

Provide a link please. Copyrights just aren't good enough esef.
          A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• esef
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

QUIT BUSTING MY BALLS!!!!

Comment

• skahound
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by esef
              Thanks, but I don't think that's a credible source. Just fucking witcha dude. This is a fucked up story.
              A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• tien
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jul 2004

werd, drug sniffing dogs smell that shit bc they are addicted to whatever substances they are smelling..right?

Comment

• esef
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                  Just fucking witcha dude.
                  :wink:

Comment

Working...