• Show
Clear All
  • Mariner1
    Banned
    • Feb 2009

Re: Diddy Fucked up at WMC

Originally posted by Shpira
    he's gonna discover ex and start making house music. . . LOL
    he discovered E in Ibiza. He's been going there ever august for the last few years I've read. thin i remember seeing a pic of him up behind the decks at manumission or something.

Comment

• Haziel
      Likes a finger upthere
      • Jan 2007

there is a video of him dancing like crazy at Circoloco party 2007 ibiza @ dc10

Comment

• coleby761
        Are you Kidding me??
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Mariner1
        he discovered E in Ibiza. He's been going there ever august for the last few years I've read. thin i remember seeing a pic of him up behind the decks at manumission or something.
        I know I saw a video posted of him scoring X at a party. Prolly here somewhere, hilarious. http://gossip.commongate.com/post/Di...ng_E_in_Ibiza/

Comment

• lilsensa
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Mariner1
          Fine. Let me be the detractor here. I might as well take yet another unpopular position. But hear me out.

I think Diddy's participation here is a benefit to electronic music worldwide. Think of how many unaware rap-minded producers, artists, dj's, and enthusiasts will be watching this stupid, but kinda funny vid will reach.

Exposure to electronic music, whatever form, is a good thing. Yeah, we all hate some Dj's, and we think some producers suck. But tastes do change, and I'm pretty sure some of you grew up on tiesto and started finding newer, more interesting, and more creative dj's and producers. Even if the people Diddy reaches never get beyond some of the people he produces, I'd still argue that its' a net gain. Let's face it, the industry only survives where there is money to be made. If it gets more people into a weekly house club not-in-LA-Chicago-Detroit-NewYork-Miami-or-DC, it is a good thing. It might even inspire people to allow house dj's to play at more hip-hop oriented venues. (here in philly, I don't even think there is an underground house night, much less something that is non-disco-at-the-gay-bars. Hell, Josh wink hasn't played here in a while, and philly is the sixth largest city in the US!)

Diddy might suck as a person, and a producer. But the guy knows how to market shit to a wide audience. who knows...he may just introduce house music and the WMC to a future sasha or digweed out there.

Plus, I think it's high time the black community recognize that they created house music. Ween the kids of shitty rap with piss-poor messages and get them in on something more beautiful and positive, and who knows what might turn around?

My ten cents.
          I, for one, do NOT want dance music being "pimped" by Diddy....... No offense, but how would his involvement be beneficial? The only person it would benefit, would be Diddy.....

Underground should stay just that.....Underground.

Dance music does not need a pop culture following. Why in the world would we need that just to enjoy the music that we love just a little more?

Fuck Diddy!! Go back to your mainstream, pop culture, rap lifestyle and stay there!!!! We DO NOT want you here in our scene trying to MAKE THE BAND!!!

Rant done, Diddy fuck off!

Out.
          RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• jay813
            Platinum Poster
            • May 2005

i agree with mariner 1, while diddy himself provides no real benefit to the music himself, you have to keep this music in the minds of people and maybe even show people who will never have a chance to know what house music is to give it a chance.marketing 101.

house music like any other music industry needs money to survive. you think clubs will be booking house djs if no one attended them? no, so the point is this industry needs new blood, new djs, a little bit of press wouldnt hurt either... the music will always evolve or it will die out once all of our favorite djs who are in their 40s and 50s start retiring.

i just dont see kids nowadays getting into edm like they get into hip hop and even rock music. if you forget to recruit new listeners then eventually no one will care except some old timers with some good memoies of parties in years past.

do we need mainstream success? not exactly but there needs to be some sort of mainstream dollars coming in if you want this to continue.

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

House music has survived almost 30 odd years without him

/thread

Comment

• lilsensa
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

^^I was gonna say the exact same thing.
                RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• jay813
                  Platinum Poster
                  • May 2005

im not saying house music needs diddy, im saying getting publicity couldnt hurt

Comment

• Haziel
                    Likes a finger upthere
                    • Jan 2007

it's called the underground baby..... Oh theeee underground!

Comment

• DancingQueen
                      AVB FanClub | President
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                      House music has survived almost 30 odd years without him

/thread
                      exactly!
                      sigpic
                      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Mariner1
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by DancingQueen
                        exactly!
                        exactly missing Jay's point, that is.

Comment

• jay813
                          Platinum Poster
                          • May 2005