X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

The Celebration of Ignorance

I'm sure some of you are aware that Saturday marked the celebration of Earth Hour, where people participating would turn off the lights and otherwise try to minimize electricity use for an hour at 8:30 pm local time. I'm sure most everyone would properly acknowledge that this was a symbolic gesture designed to bring awareness to the amount of energy we use.

Well, the folks at RedState.com opted to use this same hour to flip a gigantic middle finger at the earth by hosting its own "Hour of Power" where members pledged to use as much electricity as possible during that hour. Some comments trumpeting about their success:

Way to go RedState. I love this. It is now 8:26PM here in Illinois. We have every light on possible. Know Statists in our neighborhood of course have theirs off. But, it’s like voting, my vote cancels out theirs.
    We have 2 laptops going full speed, a ceiling fan, all the lights in the upstairs going and the downstairs living area going. Leon is out at Best buy increasing the need for them to have all of their lights, registers, etc going.
    I couldn’t get it in the picture but my SUV is running in the driveway with the lights on as well.
    Watched a movie on the plasma, made dinner, used the laptop while charging, did all the dishes and laundry, filled the swimming pool up with the hose (it was looking a little low) all while illuminating the entire street. This had to be the most fun I’ve had in a long time, although to be honest I’ve been laid up with a torn ligament…but still!
    I was too busy last night @ 8:30 to post my list, because I was:
    Turning on every light switch
    Unloading and reloading the dishwasher (and running it)
    Turning on the TV (but not watching)
    Working on the computer
    Doing a load of laundry
    Making sure my outside lights worked properly
    Making sure the teen’s XBox was operational
    Baking brownies
    LMAO about the fact that I cancelled out about 3 Greenies sitting in the dark!
    It doesn't really matter whether this was a successful counter to earth hour or not, because the point wasn't actually to significantly reduce energy usage. The point was more to demonstrate some respect for the earth, albeit only briefly. What exactly, then, was the message behind the Hour of Power? That the earth can kiss our collective ass?

It is mind-blowing to me that conservation became such a partisan issue.
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: The Celebration of Ignorance

Some people like to always be contrarian to anything and everything because disagreeing makes them feel more important about themselves.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

^WOW...that is exactly the kind of person my fiance's friend is who consequently stayed with us during the WMC...fortunately we distanced ourselves as much as possible and of course met some very fun people in South Beach...Anyway, don't mean to highjack I just never heard being disagreeable posed in such a way and defined as to why, it adds a feeling of importance huh? Feel free to speak on that more imho Miro

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Erik Mitchell
        Gold Gabber
        • Oct 2004

Wow, how immature...
        soundcloud - facedbook

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

a bunch of retards...IMHO
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• CactusBeats
            Addiction started
            • Mar 2008

In a year or two when the carbon tax becomes law we in the green industries will have the last laugh because they will be funding the green revolution and the power companies through their ignorance.

As it is their electric bills will be a hair higher. Can't believe none of them said they had Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage, or G.Gordon Liddy spewing class hatred in the background.

May their children inherit the warm & dying ecosystem..

Karma's a b*tch.
            I like your Christ.
            I do not like your Christians.
            Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• MJDub
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by CactusBeats
              May their children inherit the warm & dying ecosystem..
              Well that sucks because mine will too because of their stupidity.
              http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• bobjuice
                Banned
                • May 2008

Originally posted by mjdub
                well that sucks because mine will too because of their stupidity.
                +1

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Erik Mitchell
                  Wow, how immature...
                  Amen bruvah!
                  Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                  My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                  My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• CactusBeats
                    Addiction started
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MJDub
                    Well that sucks because mine will too because of their stupidity.
                    At least you are smart enough to realize it. They haven't made the connection yet, if ever.

Also, my wishing they reap what they sow doesn't mean I agree with what they did. On the contrary. Perhaps though, being ignorant as they are, their family will live an area that suffers more than most in this country. With rapid climate change, we are all losers, but some will lose less and others will lose more depending on where they live. One can always hope... (though what good it does one can never tell)
                    I like your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• CactusBeats
                      Addiction started
                      • Mar 2008

After checking that website RedState.com, it made me realize how very sad that state of the opposition to Obama is in, basically a few Republicans (fewer ever day by the looks of it) and some others who oppose him. I mean, if this kind of ignorant nonsense is really all they have left then they are in very sad shape indeed. This is one of the most pathetic displays I've ever seen. I've heard it said that all politics are reactionary, but this is just plain ridiculous.

Perhaps the best thing the reasonable part of the world can do is to mobilize and show Obama on TV proclaiming it is "National DO NOT Walk Off A Cliff Day." Some of the most ignorant red-staters could then presumably get themselves together (as much as a group like this can), find the tallest cliff (Grand Canyon perhaps), and proudly parade themselves right over the edge while smiling, waving the American flag, and singing the national anthem while their diesel driven generators light up the entire Grand Canyon and drive an enormous sound system to play the anthem music (of course spooking all the wildlife & generating a few more tons of carbon) all while proclaiming how patriotic their sacrifice is as they topple one over the other into the abyss.
                      Last edited by CactusBeats; April 4, 2009, 06:37:03 AM. Reason: Grammar
                      I like your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• MJDub
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

^ I'd support that.
                        http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

• DIDI
                          Aussie Pest
                          • Nov 2004

So would I !!
                          Originally posted by TheVrk
                          it IS incredible isn't it??
                          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• CactusBeats
                            Addiction started
                            • Mar 2008

We could practice the time-honored technique of walking up to the cliff's edge, peering down and then turning and walking away. By co-opting the "Do NOT Walk Off a Cliff Day" into the party platform and making it synonymous with "Greenie Behaviour," we are sure to provoke a response by the anti-environmentalists. They will see our above mentioned technique as "provocative" (put it right up there with a North Korean missile launch) and no doubt as a peace-loving, hippie-like, and disgusting act of humanity. Maybe they will develop a chant, "Only cowards walk up to a cliff and then just walk away. We take on the cliff for all its worth!!" This obviously creates the opportunity for another highly thought out grass-roots movement for the anti-environmentalists.
                            I like your Christ.

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• floridaorange
                              I'm merely a humble butler
                              • Dec 2005

^lol

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...