X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rawrmune
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2011

Re: Random thoughts

^ I don't know about upgrading your DNA but the idea is nice.

Comment

• floridaorange
      I'm merely a humble butler
      • Dec 2005

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Rawrmune
        ^ I don't know about upgrading your DNA but the idea is nice.
        To me, it was an abbreviated way of saying, "want to improve the lives of your kids (and potentially grandkids and so on)?" Teach them to relax, be loving and have gratitude. This is what makes a person happy, so if you raise a child in that kind of an environment, you actually will promote the parts of their DNA that are loving, kind, caring, etc. We are all a product of our DNA and the environments we grew up in. Change the environment, change the individual.

Comment

• Rawrmune
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2011

True, it's more like we can't change our DNA but we can change our environment and attitudes, which plays just as much of a role in shaping who we are.

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

^What exactly is the meaning of that though?

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

True, it's more like we can't change our DNA but we can change our environment and attitudes, which plays just as much of a role in shaping who we are.

Sort of. Obviously you don't have kids. If you are relaxed, have gratitude and loving, you will attract a mate who appreciates those qualities and most likely also possesses them. Your kids dna could be improved, evolved, whatever.

Comment

• Rawrmune
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2011

^ True, taking it a step further to think of the children.

Originally posted by floridaorange
                ^What exactly is the meaning of that though?
                I'm not really sure, it's from Mad Men which I don't watch. I interpret it something like this. Life is a journey that we each make individually. We may meet people who we want to make lasting connections with, yet they, like us, are on their own journeys, having different experiences and different perspectives. No matter how much we feel we know about each other, we never can fully understand each other. We are essentially alone in our understanding and experiencing of the world. Things like culture, society, media, and advertising have so much power over us because they make us forget that idea, that we are essentially unique individuals on different journey through life.

Comment

• floridaorange
                  • Dec 2005

Well I like it if it's promoting individuality. Because we are all unique, nobody is exactly the same as anyone else. But the notion that we are essentially all alone I disagree with. I had an acting teacher from NYC that used to always say "you are born alone and will die alone" or something. Human beings are designed to connect with each other, it's a basic need we all posses. I'm not really sure I get the "alone" part. Nobody is an island into themselves. We are all a culmination of our experiences and the people who have played a role in our personal development. In my mind, those individuals become a part of you, that doesn't go away. I guess I am looking at it from a more spiritual perspective or something.

Comment

• Rawrmune
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2011

Yeah it really depends on how you look at it. I feel it is human nature to be social creatures, to seek connections with others. Experience is so subjective that we could talk at length about a subject and come out with two completely different understandings of it. We rely on language to communicate our experiences, yet words have no way of fully capturing the depth of our experience. Take for example, a master chef with a highly attuned sense of smell and taste. We may be in the same room, and he could describe in great deal exactly what he tastes in the food, what he smells the air, but to me they are only words, they evoke an idea yet I am unable to fully experience the world as he experiences it. The smell of pine he smells may be so much richer and different in quality than the pine I smell, there is no way for me to tell. This is what I mean by we are alone in experiencing the world. Obviously we will physically be with other people throughout our lives though.

Comment

• floridaorange
                      • Dec 2005

I see what you're saying... I'll have to think on that. That's actually pretty interesting, the way you are putting it.

Comment

• Rawrmune
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Jun 2011

My stolen car showed up in San Diego, stripped of everything. It was towed and now they want me to pay the towing bill. Talk about kicking a person when he's down.

Comment

• floridaorange
                          • Dec 2005

^Told you they would find it. Stripped of everything? or stripped of the two front seats? Sucks, but at least you got it back. What's the towing bill?

Comment

• Rawrmune
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2011

^ Well the police said it is missing the engine, stereo, seats, and probably other stuff so the plan is to sell it to the scrapyard. The bill is 350 + 30 for every day its in the towing lot. Unfortunately, I am already in the Bay Area, and the owner has to be there when the car is sold to the scrapyard. So yeah, impromptu road trip.

Hey florida I think this thread should now be called "Rawrmune and floridaorange's random thoughts". Seems like we are the only ones posting here haha.

Comment

• floridaorange
                              • Dec 2005

Hey florida I think this thread should now be called "Rawrmune and floridaorange's random thoughts". Seems like we are the only ones posting here haha.
                              Things will work out Rawr, they always do.

Right we are the only ones posting, everyone else is busy lurking .

Comment

• Rawrmune
                                Platinum Poster
                                • Jun 2011

Hey Florida, just wondering where in Florida do you live? My brother just moved down to Boca Raton last week.

Comment

Working...