• Show
Clear All
  • DIDI
    Aussie Pest
    • Nov 2004

Re: Unauthorized Sets

Originally posted by TheVrk
    it IS incredible isn't it??
    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

I don't see it as stealing since it's not a comp, nobody is making any money out of this rip.

Now the original argument is that 1) Hernan is not happy about this set being leaked because it was subpar, 2) this set reflects badly on Hernan thus harming his Masters sales and possibly, turning away fans.

I've listened to the set, I enjoyed it. I read the comments in the P&R thread. Not one person gave Hernan shit about the set. There were about two comments, one that said Hernan doesn't sound the same as when he first made an impact on the scene. That comment then elicited a response saying maybe it's the quality of the productions these days, which I fully agree with. Then Hernan was quickly defended with the set being low quality, so we're not getting the 'full stereo' experience. Which is a caveat that we all tacitly agree to when listening to these live sets. And the low bitrate of the recording does not really impact on the discussion about Hernan's sound and the quality of production these days because that discussion talked about current productions lacking melodies, etc.

I didn't read a single comment saying Hernan sucks donkey ass and because of this shitty live set, I'm gonna turn gay and listen to Tenaglia from now on.

And what is this reasoning that we music lovers, can only listen to a GOOD set? Who defines good? We're so fucking rabid for any Cattaneo or Garcia or Moshic set that if one dropped into our lap we'd be jizzing. We know our favourite DJs are human with the exception of some, as the discerning music fans that we are, I think hearing a subpar set is not going to shake our faith in our favourite DJs. I would never judge my favourite DJ on one set. This 'oh it's subpar, it's not good enough for public listening' is ridiculous to me. Besides, the hundreds of people at the party have already heard it. So when you say a set is not good enough to be released, it just sounds like we're sticking our heads in the sand and deluding ourselves into thinking our favourite DJs can do no wrong.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• bobjuice
        Banned
        • May 2008

This topic could run forever and it's refreshing imo to see there are people out there who care about what the artist feels rather than just seeing how many sets they can grab (for free let's not forget) no matter what - DIDI, you're not being howled down at all - your feelings on this are 110% valid and i'm with you in most of what you're saying.
        Hernan deserves people like you as fans - your ethics are perfectly reasonable and it hasn't gone un-noticed here that you were the one doubting this had Hernan's blessing from the word go.... but still you downloaded and gave it a listen because like i said earlier we rarely know for sure what is authorised and what is not - not for a start anyhow. And by then it's too late as thousands of people now have the mix. Hands up who's going to delete the file now we know hc isn't best pleased? thought not?

I don't particularly agree with you on the sound quality thing though as i'm very happy once in a while to stick on a sasha tape from 91 which sounds like it was recorded down a fuckin telephone and i still feel it all the same. Happy to admit that may be something to do with age though! - my early clubbing days were long before t'internet of course - almost before electricity in fact Sasha tapes were hard currency in those days and we did not stop and think for a moment whether he was happy about their existence or not - i guess it sort of helped creatye the myth a little..
        Without being there on the night there was no other way of knowing what the fuss was all about. No web, no youtube, no pic/video sharing, no mp3s - just a night out and memories
        It may be valid to note that djs themselves aren't angels when it comes to this sort of thing and they can't have it all ways i'm afraid - please let me know of one that has never dropped a bootleg, unauthorised remix or illegally copied cd into his set and i'll show you the back end of my bollocks.

Bands make their money from playing live and selling records, djs make their money from playing in clubs, fans grab what they can when they can but this doesn't always affect artists in a negative way - Hernan won't be playing to empty floors this weekend on the back of this mix being shared and i honestly don't think his next release will suffer in sales one bit. If what he's doing in the studio was leaked without him knowing then that would be absolutely fuckin scandalous but as this is a live mix he played out 4 months ago i don't think there's too much to worry about.
        He's not some young kid trying to get a break he's Hernan Fucking Cattaneo

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=feather;743000]
          I don't see it as stealing since it's not a comp, nobody is making any money out of this rip.
          You don't have tmake money from something for it to be stealing . It is the artists property.

Now the original argument is that 1) Hernan is not happy about this set being leaked because it was subpar, 2) this set reflects badly on Hernan thus harming his Masters sales and possibly, turning away fans.
          Well no actually.

I've listened to the set, I enjoyed it. I read the comments in the P&R thread. Not one person gave Hernan shit about the set. There were about two comments, one that said Hernan doesn't sound the same as when he first made an impact on the scene. That comment then elicited a response saying maybe it's the quality of the productions these days, which I fully agree with. Then Hernan was quickly defended with the set being low quality, so we're not getting the 'full stereo' experience. Which is a caveat that we all tacitly agree to when listening to these live sets. And the low bitrate of the recording does not really impact on the discussion about Hernan's sound and the quality of production these days because that discussion talked about current productions lacking melodies, etc.
          This all pretty irelevant as it does not deal with the issues discussed.

I didn't read a single comment saying Hernan sucks donkey ass and because of this shitty live set, I'm gonna turn gay and listen to Tenaglia from now on.
          Well looks as though you are safe on that one.

And what is this reasoning that we music lovers, can only listen to a GOOD set? Who defines good? We're so fucking rabid for any Cattaneo or Garcia or Moshic set that if one dropped into our lap we'd be jizzing. We know our favourite DJs are human with the exception of some, as the discerning music fans that we are, I think hearing a subpar set is not going to shake our faith in our favourite DJs. I would never judge my favourite DJ on one set. This 'oh it's subpar, it's not good enough for public listening' is ridiculous to me. Besides, the hundreds of people at the party have already heard it. So when you say a set is not good enough to be released, it just sounds like we're sticking our heads in the sand and deluding ourselves into thinking our favourite DJs can do no wrong.
          This is just you arguing with yourself. No one here has told anyone what they can listen to . I really don't give a fuck what anyone listens to. I certainly didn't say it wasn't good enough to be released. I said the sound quality wasn't up to scratch. As for heads in the sand,I resent insinuations that I blindly follow anyone, I can and do criticise Djs I love. Hernan very rarely does anything I don't like! Simple as that ! If he does I will free to say so. As I say constantly everyone has different tastes and I'm getting sick of saying it nicely. What I do care about is theft !! Simple as that. Just because music now is no longer really a tangible doesn't make the theft any less.

I think you're flogging a dead horse! You are arguing things that aren't here.! Don't really think there is much more that can be said.

Btw It has to be a good dj before I download 128k . I'm sure some are good if original source is good , but usually they are just bad rips. .

I'm going to see Pole Folder tonight !!
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• bobjuice
            Banned
            • May 2008

Enjoy Pole Folder DIDI - and can you record it while you're there pls?

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bobjuice
              This topic could run forever and it's refreshing imo to see there are people out there who care about what the artist feels rather than just seeing how many sets they can grab (for free let's not forget) no matter what - DIDI, you're not being howled down at all - your feelings on this are 110% valid and i'm with you in most of what you're saying.
              Hernan deserves people like you as fans - your ethics are perfectly reasonable and it hasn't gone un-noticed here that you were the one doubting this had Hernan's blessing from the word go.... but still you downloaded and gave it a listen because like i said earlier we rarely know for sure what is authorised and what is not - not for a start anyhow. And by then it's too late as thousands of people now have the mix. Hands up who's going to delete the file now we know hc isn't best pleased? thought not?

I don't particularly agree with you on the sound quality thing though as i'm very happy once in a while to stick on a sasha tape from 91 which sounds like it was recorded down a fuckin telephone and i still feel it all the same. Happy to admit that may be something to do with age though! - my early clubbing days were long before t'internet of course - almost before electricity in fact Sasha tapes were hard currency in those days and we did not stop and think for a moment whether he was happy about their existence or not - i guess it sort of helped creatye the myth a little..
              Without being there on the night there was no other way of knowing what the fuss was all about. No web, no youtube, no pic/video sharing, no mp3s - just a night out and memories
              It may be valid to note that djs themselves aren't angels when it comes to this sort of thing and they can't have it all ways i'm afraid - please let me know of one that has never dropped a bootleg, unauthorised remix or illegally copied cd into his set and i'll show you the back end of my bollocks.

Bands make their money from playing live and selling records, djs make their money from playing in clubs, fans grab what they can when they can but this doesn't always affect artists in a negative way - Hernan won't be playing to empty floors this weekend on the back of this mix being shared and i honestly don't think his next release will suffer in sales one bit. If what he's doing in the studio was leaked without him knowing then that would be absolutely fuckin scandalous but as this is a live mix he played out 4 months ago i don't think there's too much to worry about.
              He's not some young kid trying to get a break he's Hernan Fucking Cattaneo
              That he is !!!!!

I agree with most of that. Although I find I am getting more fussy with sound quality. There is just so much stuff out that is great quality, we don't have to compromise.

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by bobjuice
                Enjoy Pole Folder DIDI - and can you record it while you're there pls?
                Actually it is being recorded but it definitely wont be leaked !! This is what Pole folder said today about tonight.

from what i was told mr folder destroyed kiss just b4...

PF
                "i'm playing 2.30 - 5.30"

interviewer
                "what time will your music peak?"

PF
                "around 6am"
                Got to love him !!

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Enjoy PF! Damn wished I could've caught him.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                  a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• dusk
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DIDI
                    he is playing some of those same tunes in other sets and believe me they sound way better in better quality !!
                    Cool. Can you suggest which ones as I haven't been keeping up with Hernan's sets..
                    ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Adzey
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Mar 2008

^ i think thats the point there has been nothing recent

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

Didi I respect and understand what you are saying, I just think the era of this sort of thing being controlled is over unfortunately...either way, I don't have sets that are not authorized and have had this conversation with dj's many times. I guess I assume that people who come on mercury server and post and read these posts have been a part of the EDM/progressive house music arena for at least 10 years and are fully aware of all of the above posts already, already.

J.K. Simmons: "What did we learn, Palmer?"
                        David Rasche as Palmer: "I don't know, sir."
                        Simmons: "I don't f***in' know, either... I guess we learned not to do it again."
                        Rasche: "Yes, sir."
                        Simmons: "I'm f***ed if I know what we did."
                        Rasche: "Yes, sir. It's hard to say."
                        Simmons: "Jesus f***in' Christ."
                        Last edited by floridaorange; May 1, 2009, 12:28:15 PM.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Haziel
                          Likes a finger upthere
                          • Jan 2007

The lique thread is closed

Comment

• Miroslav
                            WHOA I can change this!1!
                            • Apr 2006

if I know that something is unauthorized, then I might not listen to it. I agree that unauthorized stuff should not be leaked, and I think it's a shame when these things happen against the wishes of the dj.

But the times that I know something is unauthorized is like .00001% of the time! Maybe you guys have some famous djs on speed dial and know the scoop, but I don't have any contact with them and all I know is what I see in front of me on the computer screen. Look out in the P&R forum - how many sets are there out there? And how many of those are "authorized" vs. "unauthorized"? I really have no idea...

So really, to ethically adhere by this standard, I need to basically not download ANYTHING from any IDM forum unless I receive credible confirmation that it is "authorized". And who is credible enough to provide that authorization? I'm sure that Hernan or whatever other bigshot dj will get right back to me when I email them.

I don't want to steal stuff. But if we're going to consistently adhere to this ethical standard of "authorized" vs. "unauthorized", then we should probably close down the P&R forum entirely. I'm just saying...
                            mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• AchtungBaby!
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Miroslav
                              if I know that something is unauthorized, then I might not listen to it. I agree that unauthorized stuff should not be leaked, and I think it's a shame when these things happen against the wishes of the dj.

But the times that I know something is unauthorized is like .00001% of the time! Maybe you guys have some famous djs on speed dial and know the scoop, but I don't have any contact with them and all I know is what I see in front of me on the computer screen. Look out in the P&R forum - how many sets are there out there? And how many of those are "authorized" vs. "unauthorized"? I really have no idea...

So really, to ethically adhere by this standard, I need to basically not download ANYTHING from any IDM forum unless I receive credible confirmation that it is "authorized". And who is credible enough to provide that authorization? I'm sure that Hernan or whatever other bigshot dj will get right back to me when I email them.

I don't want to steal stuff. But if we're going to consistently adhere to this ethical standard of "authorized" vs. "unauthorized", then we should probably close down the P&R forum entirely. I'm just saying...
                              Is exactly like that mate... Btw, thread closed or not, every single person around the globe who has minimun interest about Hernan, already DL Lique set or still can grab it, so.. Relax and enjoy it if you like.. If don't, just wait until May 25th.. No big deal

"vision over visibility" Paul Hewson

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                                Not cool enough
                                • Jun 2004

when it comes to promos being played in these mixes, that eventually become unauthorized. I would personally think that the composers of the tracks wouldn't really care all that much. As their track is being played by John Digweed, which can almost guarantee about 2-300 copies of that track will be bought over digital download sites.
                                Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                                My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                                My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...