• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

New Liverpudlian Sasha Interview

Domnal kindly brought this to my attention :

Apologies to the sasha-bashers that get bored .. but hey, you don't need to look at the thread ... although you know you'll get drawn to it anyway

CLICK: You're an adopted member of the Cream family, and always a firm favourite at Creamfields, do you think Northern crowds are different from others?

SASHA: It's always wonderful coming back to Liverpool, I got such a long history with that part of the world, all the amazing nights that I used to have at Cream, and even before that. I've got a lot of friends, and of course the Cream family, so it's always brilliant to come back and catch up with them all in the area.

CLICK: What are you working on right now?

SASHA: Right now I’ve just done a couple of remixes. I've done a Nokia computer game that's coming out this year, called Snakes. And then also, I've done a couple of remixes, I've remixed the Doves single.

CLICK: How do you choose the tracks that you want to remix, do they come to you, or do just hear something you like and get in touch?

SASHA: Because remixing isn't really the core of my business anymore, like in the 90s I used to spend most of my year in the studio remixing. Normally it's a case of I hear something that I really like and feel I can do something with it, and I call them up asking if it's cool?

CLICK: A lot of artistes of your stature have moved into scoring music for films, is this something you can see yourself doing? You mentioned the computer game?

SASHA: I mean, you've got to look to other places to try and bring revenue in from music, because obviously the physical sales of records now, as everyone knows is dwindling away. By incorporating your music into film & TV or computer games, adverts, it's a new way to make money out of your music, so it's definitely something that I've got my eye on.

CLICK: You're one of the few DJ's who has remained at the top of his game for the last 15 years, what’s the secret of your success?

SASHA: You have to adapt to business, the music industry is completely different to how it was 10-15 years ago, so you have to adapt to it and doing stuff for computer games and adverts and stuff is a different angle.

CLICK: You're responsible for pioneering a new form of mixing with your Ableton system, how did this come about?

SASHA: Well it is a piece of software that I use in the studio to actually write music and I just realized that it's a very powerful tool to have as a DJ so I started messing around with it and I built my own controller for it, and it's changed the way that I play completely really.

CLICK: Do you find that when you're in the studio you want to be out on the decks and vice versa?

SASHA: I really do enjoy my time in the studio because I have a normal routine, I get up at a normal time, and I go to bed at a normal time. It's like my office job, I really do enjoy the routine. The thing is as soon as you've finished a record that you're really proud of and buzzing off the first thing that you want to do is go out and play it. It's a balance and something that I have struggled with all the way through my career, really trying to balance how much time to spend in the radio and how much on the road.

CLICK: Do you go clubbing socially yourself now? Do you enjoy hearing another DJ's drop your track and see the crowd's reaction?

SASHA: Of course, it's always a real compliment when another DJ plays your record. I don't really get to go out that much, cause most weekends I'm working myself, so it's pretty rare I get to go clubbing myself.

CLICK: What are you festival essentials?

SASHA: Wellies, wet wipes and a bottle of vodka.

CLICK: What 3 acts would sum up your ultimate festival line up? Dead or alive?

SASHA: The Chemical Brothers always absolutely bring down the house. They are one of the best festival acts. Probably Jimi Hendrix & Radiohead.

CLICK:Soon you will be back in Ibiza playing at Cream @ Amnesia, any new surprise for this summer?

SASHA: I don't know, I'm just really excited to be doing it, almost like a residency there as I had such a good time playing there last year at Amnesia, I really like the club and the Cream night, it's probably the best night for the British crowd. I'm just excited to be doing something regularly.

CLICK: Will you be changing your sound out there this year?

SASHA: It seems to change every couple of weeks, I think sound wise things haven’t changed dramatically, last year I felt, was a really big change in musical direction. A lot of melodies and a lot of warm sounding records came out last year, and changed the direction of the sound quite a lot. So I think this year will be an evolution from last year.

CLICKo you feel that the island affects your sound, especially with such an international crowd?

SASHA:Like I said, I definitely lead towards playing melodic stuff in Ibiza, for sure. Maybe a little more so than other places.

CLICK: And lastly, you’re performing with John Digweed @ Cream on May 22nd to perform back 2 back for the first in nearly a decade, what made you choose Cream in Liverpool as one of the few chosen venues for this special gig?

SASHA: That was an obvious choice really, like I said before, the history that we have in Liverpool and with Cream, we go back such a long way. That weekend we just wanted to do a little UK tour. I’m really excited to be on the road with John in the UK, it’s been a very long time!

Sasha performs alongside John Digweed @ Cream on Friday 22nd May. Tickets on sale now www.cream.co.uk

Sasha performs in the Subliminal Arena @ Creamfields on Sunday 30th August Bank Holiday weekend. Tickets on sale now Tel: 0844 888 4401 / www.ticketline.co.uk / Info: www.creamfields.com
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • josalo
    Addiction started
    • Apr 2008

Re: New Liverpudlian Sasha Interview

Originally posted by simonr

CLICK: What are you festival essentials?

SASHA: Wellies, wet wipes and a bottle of vodka.
    I figure out because his hands are sooooo slimy
    "superdeepsexyhypergroovalicioustrpfunkhousevi bes"

Comment

• mades
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2008

SASHA: I mean, you've got to look to other places to try and bring revenue in from music, because obviously the physical sales of records now, as everyone knows is dwindling away. By incorporating your music into film & TV or computer games, adverts, it's a new way to make money out of your music, so it's definitely something that I've got my eye on.

This sort of made me sad. Doing music for snake game in Nokia cells because of money ? With all respect to Alexander the Great, by now he must be sick rich with all those years playing 6-8 times a month. I just don't get it.

Comment

• dusk
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

SASHA: Of course, it's always a real compliment when another DJ plays your record. I don't really get to go out that much, cause most weekends I'm working myself, so it's pretty rare I get to go clubbing myself.
        This I find interesting... kinda like a chief who doesn't get a chance to enjoy his own food.

Thanks for posting the interview Simon... was a good read.
        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Aleks_B
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

always a good interview read from Sasha!
          aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

Good interview, it's nice to hear his thoughts on diversifying to keep the money rolling in. I think this is the first interview with any DJ that's treat that territory.

mades: it's just pragmatism, the guy's gotta set up his retirement fund. And I think end of the day, DJs like Sasha have been there and done it all.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• mades
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by feather
              mades: it's just pragmatism, the guy's gotta set up his retirement fund. And I think end of the day, DJs like Sasha have been there and done it all.
              Yes i know, i just questioned the need. Also using his brilliant creative mind for cell phone games ...

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

He also did a soundtrack for New Emissions of Light and Sound, a surf video.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

Someone once made a good point - the DJ's and their family get accustomed to a certain lifestyle, and that costs money - so they need to keep it rolling in where they can like anyone else.

So there are the big festival pay days and odd commercial tie ins.

At least Sasha won't be advertising shampoo or hair gel ... Diggers on the other hand could become the new face of l'oriel !
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• coliver1980
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Aug 2008

Interesting read. Wonder what his favourite club in Ibiza is then?? I was under the impression it was Space.

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

^^ it's varied over the years, he's been resident as Pacha, Amnesia and Space.

But Space is his spiritual home and favourite venue for his birthday sets.
                      sigpicSimonR

Comment

• dusk
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

IF I ever got to interview Sasha - I'd ask him if he wouldn't mind dropping a set in my back yard ...lol
                        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Haziel
                          Likes a finger upthere
                          • Jan 2007

Good interview

Now this thread need some Fergusson to balance it out

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

Classic Haziel !
                            sigpicSimonR

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                              Not cool enough
                              • Jun 2004

it bugs me when people say they made their own controller. he didn't make it, he found someone that could make one and designed it with them.
                              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

Working...