• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeffrey collins
    Not cool enough
    • Jun 2004

Re: Help - how to get people to parties

wow. that's bad for a space that big.

as for flyering, more promoters around here don't do that much of it anymore. Unless it's flyering in and around the club. No one seems to really plaster them on cars or on buildings anymore.
    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Miguel
      Are you Kidding me??
      • Oct 2005

why spend money printing flyers when you got facebook and all of that shite

Comment

• Miroslav
        WHOA I can change this!1!
        • Apr 2006

My sense is that the most successful stuff here in the states really grows strong at the local level first before big touring djs start coming through. That means that if it's a big enough city, you identify and unify the locals who really like the music; you talk to them, find out what they like, publicize events for them, etc. You start small and keep the basic structure consistent. If there are others that like the music, they will show up and a community will be built. You consistently invest in it and find what keeps your core support group in the game. And then it becomes easier to start branching out and inviting bigger touring artists to show up, drawing a bigger crowd, etc.

My sense is that this is very generally what Butane & friends did with Alphahouse in St. Louis and Someone Else & friends did with Foundsound in Philadelphia - or Alland Byallo & friends did with their Kontrol events out here in SF (although granted, it's easier to find interest out here). Those are all now-famous people who went off and created famous labels off of that stuff...and they were pretty much DJ Nobody when they started it.

What you don't do is this: you're DJ Nobody and you figure you'll skip that entire local evolution and just book a guy like Kazell or Jim Rivers and put it in a huge venue and just magically expect people to show up. Not gonna happen. You get what happens in those pictures. That may have worked in the past, but interest is not where it once was for this music and so it really only works with a handful of international superstars today - the Digweeds, Cattaneos, van Dyks, Oakenfolds of the world.

I'm not saying that's a set rule and that it always works equally well in all places - you need some luck, right timing, right people around you, etc. - but in general, the stuff I have seen work well really grows strong from the foundation and doesn't try to just reach out too fast and book a Kazell into a 5k room.
        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• mades
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2008

Miroslav: The guy who booked Jim Rivers did Paul Van Dyk 2 months before with 5000+ crowd. He has an extensive booking history over the last years in both trance/house (with house events being the unsuccesful ones) so it is not the problem of "being small wanting to be big right with the first show". Of course PVD is popstar, not a dj but all i wanted to say is that the promoter isn't some "nobody guy".

The problem in my country is, that even if digger or alex or hernan would show up (in fact, digg and alex did in 2006 also no big success but that was promoter's fault - he presented them as "trance stars" and did alot of silly marketing) it would not reach more than 1000-1500 people max with extensive marketing. This is a God forsaken country in quality edm.

Guys i have another question on you: What is the preffered edm genre you can find in clubs in your neigbourhood nowadays?

Comment

• chunky
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jan 2006

^^ I remember Global Gathering in 2002, the Bedrock Arena had Digweed, Tomiie, Way Out West, Kleinenberg, Lawler, Fortier etc, there must of been only a few hundred people in there all night. It was like the start of the clubbing recession.
            Originally posted by res0nat0r
            OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• simonr
              Transitionator
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
              Free Hookers and Cocaine never hurts
              +100
              sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

I'd suggest getting girls in there for free .. or even hitting the streets and guest listing the girls - wherever the ladies go the blokes follow.

Plus if you've got pretty dancers get them to his the streets as a parade grabbing attention and handing out flyers/selling discounted tickets .. it'll create a buzz.

You could also do a pre-party with one of the headline DJ's and sell tickets at it.
                sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Miroslav
                  WHOA I can change this!1!
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by mades
                  Miroslav: The guy who booked Jim Rivers did Paul Van Dyk 2 months before with 5000+ crowd. He has an extensive booking history over the last years in both trance/house (with house events being the unsuccesful ones) so it is not the problem of "being small wanting to be big right with the first show". Of course PVD is popstar, not a dj but all i wanted to say is that the promoter isn't some "nobody guy".

The problem in my country is, that even if digger or alex or hernan would show up (in fact, digg and alex did in 2006 also no big success but that was promoter's fault - he presented them as "trance stars" and did alot of silly marketing) it would not reach more than 1000-1500 people max with extensive marketing. This is a God forsaken country in quality edm.

Guys i have another question on you: What is the preffered edm genre you can find in clubs in your neigbourhood nowadays?
                  Oh...didn't realize you were from Slovakia.

Ja som sa narodil v Bratislave... Viem do cela dobre rospravat, ale neviem moc dobre pisat. Ani tu v Amerike nie je to moc dobre, len v zo par vadsych mestach. Dufam ze sa to vam v buducnosti podari.
                  mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                    Anyone have Styx livesets?
                    • Jun 2004

hold the nite in London?
                    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miguel
                      What are you going to do. Invite everyone in your state to your page so that you get the greatest demographic of people who MIGHT come to the gig?
                      My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• mades
                        Gold Gabber
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by miroslav
                        oh...didn't realize you were from slovakia.

Ja som sa narodil v bratislave... Viem do cela dobre rospravat, ale neviem moc dobre pisat. Ani tu v amerike nie je to moc dobre, len v zo par vadsych mestach. Dufam ze sa to vam v buducnosti podari.
                        Very nice!

Comment

• Jayson
                          Addiction started
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Miguel

Because there are people who are not on that facebook site? You are actually giving them a product they can easily show their friends and post up on a calender?

The thing with people on your facebook/myspace/twitter page is that they are already in the "know" and you want to let people who don't know in the "know", if that makes sense.

It's awesome if you keep telling the same 50 people for every event, but if you don't start telling different people and get them in the know then you're really not going to get far.

That's my philosophy at least when it comes to flyering.

The deal I usually make with a venue is I'll put on an event there, and on one side it will be info on my event, and on the other side will be info about the club likely their daily specials or whatever else they want to put on it.

You're event is still getting pimped out, and people are learning more about what the club has to offer. So even if your night isn't as good as you expected it to be, the club itself should be seeing more foot traffic week in, week out so they should be more open to work with you on future events.

Keep up a relationship like and you should start seeing you events get better and better as consistency is a key in my eyes.
                          Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                            I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                            • Mar 2008

just tele-woman, it's the fasted means of communication fool
                            (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                              Not cool enough
                              • Jun 2004

^^^that's a really cool thing to do bro. I like the idea of putting the club info and what they might want promoted on the other side of the flyer. Most of the flyers around here are so small anymore. Most promoters are only willing to do 4" X 5" or smaller around here. So that doesn't give you much room for the clubs promotion. But I'm sure with some creative design one could get it done.
                              My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Jayson
                                Addiction started
                                • Nov 2004

I find your basic postcard size works the best, 4 ¼” x 6”. It allows them to put each day of the week down, with a quick snippet about each day be it a drink special, cover special and so on. Room for their logo and maybe their resident DJ's in big bolder letters somewhere, plus the clubs website for additional information. And don't forget to include the clubs address/phone number!

Your side would be very basic and to the point. A snippet or two about the headliner, your production companies logo, room for graphics and a link to your site for additional information (i.e. NOT myspace/facebok).

I actually started a little LLC doing just flyer designs and 'distribution' (read: handing them out). I go through about 45k-50k worth of flyers a month per club/bar depending on the weather (spring is the worse because of all the rain) and they love it. I have a good relationship with a lot of the owners/managers and usually if some one wants to do an event they come to me and explain it and I usually set up the meeting from there.

Just something to think about if some one is at a dead end job looking to make extra money.

Example,

Lets say you flyer for 5 clubs, and charge each one 10 an hour. Flyer for all 5 at once and that's 50 an hour. Average between 30-40 hours a week 1500-2000 a week, 6000-8000 a month.

Get reall smart and get some one you can trust, give them 15 an hour, and keep 35 of it for yourself for pretty much doing nothing except working a few days a month running to the airport and picking up the flyers yourself (I found a company that does it cheaper than anyone local and they never fucked up a single batch of flyers yet).

As long as you are honest and actually do it and not just throw the flyers away and tell them you did (they will watch you like a hawk and they will know) you can make out pretty good doing this.

Sorry for getting off topic, I just can't understand why people only believe that myspace/facebook is the only way to promote now a days.
                                Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

Working...