X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Sasha & Digweed's Record Box

John and Sasha feature in the "In the Bag" section of DJ Mag this month.

You can actually view the magazine on-line - I assume DJ Mag are trying to entice us with their digital subscription:

The magazine is a pretty cool read .. articles on the clubbing scene in ibiza and DJ's favourite sets - Zabiela's is the legendary Space Sunday set I went to ... even though JZ's a year out on his date (it was 2004) and sold himself and Sasha short in the lengh of the set (it was 9+ hours !).

Anyway S & D's choice of records and thoughts are pretty interesting - but shouldn't it be "CD case and hard-drive" instead of "record box or bag" .. I think DJ Mag are behind the times

According to the dynamic duo "Here are the club smashing weapons they are currently toting" :

Guy Gerber - Stoppage Time (Reshuffle Remix) [Bedrock]

Sasha "This sends the crowd absolutely bonkers. When I listened to it at home, I thought it was very repetitive, it has a very hypnotic vibe, and I wasn't sure about it. But I played it out and it's one of thoseamazing records that can change the direction of your set. I can see a lot of German DJ's playing it out over the summer

Edit Select - Baur [Ostgut Ton]

Digweed "Danny Howells tipped me off on this one. It's a grooving track, very astmospheric and quite haunting. There are lots of small changes going on in the background, which are enough to create the right kind of atmosphere. It's definately one of those moody tunes to get the right reaction on the floor".

Minilogue - Animals (Beat Pharmacy Six Feet Under Mix) [Cocoon]

Sasha "There's a kind of Matthew Johnson edge to this mix, beautiful deep techno but with lovely melodies, again very hypnotic. Those Minilogue guys are just amazing too. The sound they get in the studio is like they've been submerged in water or thrown in a washing machine - brilliant on a big sound system !"

Guy J - Lamur (Henry Saiz Remix) [Bedrock]

Digweed "The original is a beautiful record but Henry Saiz has turned it into a bit of a summer monster. As a label owner, you're blown away. Everyone I've given it to has come back straight away and said, "This is fantastic". It's nice to have a few of those on this label. Gut j is brilliant - he makes his music emotional without it being trancey, with none of those notes that make you go, Urrggh !"

Jon Hopkins - Light Through the Veins (Ewan Pearson Downtown Lights Remix) [Domino]

Sasha "Amazing, a beautiful melodic record. An end of the night record to send people home happy. Ewan is an amazing producer, he has such a beautiful sound. I hate to say organic, but something about it is just very warm, it really sucks you in".

Reboot - Ronson [Cocoon]

Digweed "A great heads-down track that introduces some mad noises in the middle to get the crowd going. It's a peak-time club track, really."
    Last edited by simonr; May 31, 2009, 01:43:22 PM.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • dusk
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Sasha & Digweed's Record Box

Originally posted by simonr
    John and Sasha feature in the "In the Bag" section of DJ Mag this month.

Zabiela's is the legendary Space Sunday set I went to ... even though JZ's a year out on his date (it was 2004) and sold himself and Sasha short in the lengh of the set (it was 9+ hours !).
    Now why am I not suprised that you were there Would have been awesome to experience live!

Thanks for posting this... I love reading dj's comments on tracks, always is a fresh perspective.
    ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• simonr
      Transitionator
      • Jun 2004

^^ Read the free magazine on the link ... some really good articles on ibiza in it
      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• DIDI
        Aussie Pest
        • Nov 2004

Seems Sasha and I are on the same wavelength I posted this in a local forum a couple of days ago.

Have to agree at least partially about Guy Gerber - Stoppage Time. There is a very fine line between monotonous and hypnotic and this straddles the line Depending on my mood at any given time
        Originally posted by TheVrk
        it IS incredible isn't it??
        STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
        Simply does not get any better than Hernan
        The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• dusk
          DUDERZ get a life!!!
          • Jun 2004

^^^ Sasha or Simon? Lol

Just checking out some of the tracks - this video is so cool. Reminds me of Loco Roco.

[youtube]tD6BEPy9mHQ[/youtube]
          ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• Homegrove
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

That Edit Select-tune is pretty fucking boring.
            Forward thinking house music

Comment

• F JOHN
              Getting warmed up
              • Apr 2009

your right there homegrove ...real piece of crap

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dusk
                ^^^ Sasha or Simon? Lol

Just checking out some of the tracks - this video is so cool. Reminds me of Loco Roco.

[youtube]tD6BEPy9mHQ[/youtube]
                Sasha , but it seems a lot of us are thinking that way.
                Originally posted by TheVrk
                it IS incredible isn't it??
                STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

Working...