Best way to convert your vinyl collection to mp3s???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dannygroov
    Getting Somewhere
    • Oct 2004

Production Best way to convert your vinyl collection to mp3s???

So I inherited a lot of vinyl (see attached). There is probably more coming my way, same amount as the attachment. It’s a variety of music, but mostly dance, house, hip hop from back in the days (80s, 90s). I still have to do a lot of sorting so I’m wondering what would be the best / fastest method in recording this into mp3 format.

Now I’m very savvy when it comes down to computers and audio. I built a computer specifically for this and its also a HTPC system. I already have an allen-heath xone:32 mixer that I can hook turntables and record. I also have a decent sound card and programs (soundforge, goldwave, etc) that can record my inputs, but I want to see if anyone has undergone a similar project of converting their vinyl collection and turning them into wav/mp3s ???

My initial thoughts was playing them as fast as possible (45) and then using software and edit them to their normal rate… what is your method?
    Attached Files
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Re: Best way to convert your vinyl collection to mp3s???

this has gotten nothing but rave reviews:

vinyl to mp3 ion into google

uses a usb
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• dannygroov
      Getting Somewhere
      • Oct 2004

What if I already have turntables?
      I'm thinking of the fastest method to record. I can connect my mixer to my soundcard using RCA to RCA, I have Xi-Fi platinum and it comes with a nice faceplate for my comp. I'm just trying to avoid having to play every track and the normal speed, unless there is a faster method out there?

Comment

• lilsensa
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
        this has gotten nothing but rave reviews:

vinyl to mp3 ion into google

uses a usb
        Rave reviews!!!!!! Ahhhhh!!!!!

RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Simon Preston
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

Its well know that the sound quality on DJ turntables is utter rubbish. However, that'd be the cheapest option for you. The BEST way is getting a dedicated record player, cutting out the mixer in the middle, use a high end preamp and record that into your computer.
          http://soundcloud.com/simonpreston/simon-preston-summer-2011

Comment

• dannygroov
            Getting Somewhere
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Simon Preston
            Its well know that the sound quality on DJ turntables is utter rubbish. However, that'd be the cheapest option for you. The BEST way is getting a dedicated record player, cutting out the mixer in the middle, use a high end preamp and record that into your computer.
            Good to know, although I was comfortable using turntable->mixer->comp. I'll look into your suggested scenario. What about the speed of recording? Would I really have to hear 99999+ hrs of vinyls to record or is there a faster solution? THanks

Comment

• khilla
              Getting warmed up
              • Jun 2004

I recorded some of my vinyls with my Technics SL-1200MK2 > Mixer > Audiophile 2496.
              I record one side of a vinyl in one take, then split up and cut/remove silence at the start/end, then remove cracks, pops, hisses. I've also been told that using a preamp gives better results then a mixer, and they are not that expensive.

You've come to the right place if you're looking for phono preamps, styli and cartridges. We also sell speaker and source selectors, and NAB hub adapters for 10.5

Good: TCC TC-400G/L Phono Preamp: $29.50 plus shipping
              Better: Technolink TC-450 Mobile Phono Preamp: $35.50 plus shipping
              (WITH POWER ADAPTOR)

PS: It's a very time consuming task. I did 20 vinyls in two weeks, and spent almost 3 hours a day on it. Oh and i wouldn't record at higher speed than normal. Thing to look out for also is making sure your turntable speed doesn't shift to much
              God made me funky and i am glad he made me that way !

Get Connected:
              http://soundcloud.com/khillaudio
              http://facebook.com/Khillaudio
              http://twitter.com/khilla
              http://www.mixcloud.com/Khillaudio/

Comment

• diegoff
                Are you Kidding me??
                • Jun 2004

My opinion:
                (in resume) Vinyls have a different audio mastering process than cds and other digital formats, cause it has a different dynamic range and frequency band with.
                If you want them on mp3 it won´t be as easy as connect the audio output from the turntable to the input of your sound card, if what you want is a decent audio quality: you´d have to make audio compression (with an extra-expensive analog audio compressor) before you get the sound card input.

I suggest you to get the cds, or directly download the albums in mp3 (converted from cds -> digital format). The great thing about vinyls is that it´s not a digital format, so you don´t have the compression and conversion that digital audio needs.
                It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• dannygroov
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Oct 2004

It looks like going preamp is possibly the best method. I'm still inquiring on the best method for speed.

Can a mod move this thread to possibly DJ'ing or Production forum, wherever best applies. Thanks

Comment

• dj_macgyver
                    Addiction started
                    • Oct 2005

i've got an old scratchamp (from finalscratch, 1.0/1.5 version) and connected that to my computer. turns out to be a pretty useful soundcard (don't install the software it comes with!) with 2 (!) phono preamp inputs. With that i can record two records at the same time.
                    Click here to get my latest mix "MacGyver's way - Volume 1"! Do it. Do it!

Comment

• dannygroov
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by dj_macgyver
                      i've got an old scratchamp (from finalscratch, 1.0/1.5 version) and connected that to my computer. turns out to be a pretty useful soundcard (don't install the software it comes with!) with 2 (!) phono preamp inputs. With that i can record two records at the same time.
                      thats pretty cool.
                      I wanted finalscratch for a long time. I waited it out. then the cdj-800 mk2 came out and I hop'ed on.

now I got dumped with a lot of vinyl. Thinking of getting technics now. + it seems I need to look into a preamp.

Comment

• simonr
                        Transitionator
                        • Jun 2004

If you're taking the time to rip them surely you'd go for WAV so you don't lose audio quality ?

May be best to decide on the best stuff 1st rather than ripping tracks you'll never play.
                        sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• dannygroov
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Oct 2004

I had a brilliant idea last night as I was finding gem after gem.
                          I was using shaazam on my phone to id the tracks. I think I can just bypass a good portion of the recording process by soulseeking the titles myself haha. Was just a thought and will probably work. Of course the rare vinyl's won't ever get id'ed by shaazam.

Comment

• FM
                            Wooooooo!
                            • Jun 2004

well that's always the easiest way by getting the copies on digital to start with

archiving vinyl like that is best reserved for pure audiophiles who want to know it came of of vinyl to begin with, or with tracks that just aren't on digital anywhere/readily available.

Thread moved.
                            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                            Facebook!
                            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• cmhollis
                              Getting Somewhere
                              • Aug 2006

I've found the best way in terms of sound quality is to go from my Technics 1200's, through my mixer and into a cd recorder. I fill up one cd's worth then dump them onto my computer. I realize this isnt the most tech savvy way, but the quality is consistent. The recorder can be purchased for a few hundred bucks...

Comment

Working...