• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

A wise comment from this month's RA Mix: Levon Vincent

Cool interview...

Talking about that time of my life makes me want to point out something: There's something about this new DJ era that I dearly miss: The record shops. I love the new digital formats and I find the new wares people are experimenting with for DJing to be very exciting... but there is an aspect that we have not devised a proper substitute for: The human interaction. For me, this is such an important aspect of the music community- going down to the shop and talking/learning about records once a week. There is nothing like "new record day." There is a tradition of movements throughout time—infectious dialogs that spread throughout regions and decades via arts communities and human interaction. People used to talk about Vienna hundreds of years ago the same way they discuss Detroit now or New Orleans a hundred years ago or so with guys like Scott Joplin. It's a visceral aspect to musicianship that is as crucial to good evolution as playing well. There is something new and different going on with weblogs and digital downloading and, while we defintely have a bright future, we can't just erase all our previous methodology. We need to mix them together for the best results. Damn! I sound like an old man and I'm only 33 ha ha ha. Anyway, vinyl is cool.
    AMEN! Glad someone gets it.

But don't bother listening to the mix. Unfortunately, it's not that good.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: A wise comment from this month's RA Mix: Levon Vincent

Originally posted by Miroslav

But don't bother listening to the mix. Unfortunately, it's not that good.
    That was exactly what I thought when I saw this thread title, I just deleted mine 5 mins ago

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
      Aussie Pest
      • Nov 2004

Well thanks for the warning. I remember the days when they used to put aside music they thought I would like at the local record store They were nearly always right !
      Originally posted by TheVrk
      it IS incredible isn't it??
      STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
      Simply does not get any better than Hernan
      The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Was talking to a colleague about listening to digital tracks ... pushing a slider around is just different from moving the needle on a vinyl to the bits you want to hear.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Actually that is something I don't miss
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..

Comment

• nick007
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DIDI
            Well thanks for the warning. I remember the days when they used to put aside music they thought I would like at the local record store They were nearly always right !
            ^ I still get called by the local music store guy when any renaissance/ buzzing fly cd hits the floor

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• dusk
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

I firmly believe that vinyl will make a come back .. hopefully I'll still be on the dance floor when that happens lol
              ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

• DIDI
                Aussie Pest
                • Nov 2004

^^^ you will be if you want to be

Comment

• Funky Dredd
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • May 2005

Ya, I miss those days of going to Vinyl Frontier, Underground Records etc...The thing I don't miss is the price! But I still keep to a rhythm of going to beatport etc on a certain day of the week and browsing the new stuff like I am going to a store.
                  Mutations presents Change The Music

Mutations (original show)

Mutations presents Change The Music airs 4th Friday of the month on SaturoSounds

Comment

• Dhar_2
                    meat and potatoes
                    • Jun 2004

Vinyl

Comment

Working...