X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

Strike Toronto!

24,000 city workers on strike right now! It's going to get smelly 'cause there will be no garbage pickup. Of course they wait for the heat to arrive.
    Temperatures rose Monday and so did tempers after municipal employees formed picket lines across Toronto, shutting down daycares and sealing up garbage cans, and leaving union representatives predicting a long, stinky summertime strike.

"The key issue is that employees want to keep 18 sick days a year which can be banked and cashed out at retirement. But the City wants to create short-term disability programs instead."

Even more alarming is this!

It’s Time to Stock Up on Booze With an LCBO Strike Looming

Last week, over 3600 of the 6000 LCBO employees across the provinces voted on whether or not to strike this summer. The response was rather clear: 93% of the 3672 union members voted in favour of strike action. The LCBO employees have been without a contract since the end march. There are still negotiations planned this week and a strike could be averted. The main issues of contention are the elimination of full-time positions to be replaced by casual workers, hours of work, wages and benefits the union said.

They may go on strike as early as this Wed!

THANK GOD FOR THE BEER STORE!!!
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: Strike Toronto!

Windsor has been on strike now for 10 weeks with no garbage pick up. The rats are the size of beavers down there. Also the Mayor Windsor has gone on vacation to Greece so it doesn't look like it will end for a while either.

Comment

• DancingQueen
      AVB FanClub | President
      • Oct 2005

I can't believe the BS of this strike....whining about not being able to bank sick days for when you retire....give me a break....they are sick days and should only be used when you are sick....so stupid....quit whining and get back to work!

As for the liqour store, their reasons are a little more understandible....apparently management will be attempting to run the stores on their own if they do strike, so we shall see how it effects us
      sigpic
      RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
      RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• Aleks_B
        Gold Gabber
        • Nov 2006

I am so pissed about this!

if these people dont like their jobs fire 'em they already have awesome pay and benefits. I know this for a fact!!
        aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• DIDI
          Aussie Pest
          • Nov 2004

Now the trick would be for all to recycle then this wouldn't even be a problem.
          Originally posted by TheVrk
          it IS incredible isn't it??
          STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
          Simply does not get any better than Hernan
          The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• chanty
            • Jun 2004

DIDI..we do recycle. We have a bin for garbage, a bin for recycling and a bin for compostables/ biodegradables. Atm, none are being picked up and we have to combine it all and bring it to tranfer stations. We'll be crossing the picket line tomorrow morning 'cause it's already getting smelly. Yes..it's hot and humid here right now.
            I got so pissed because a few days ago someone decided to dump their garbage on the sidewalk around the corner from my house infront of some shops and it was still there yesturday. I talked to a store owner and convinced him to give me a garbage bag and help me pick it up. It was disgusting! Of course when one person dumps, everyone else seems to think it's ok too. So people were adding there own empty take out containers and finished drink cartons to the mix. Oh yes, and there was not one, but two broken shopping carts there too. Anywho, he helped me carry it to my place aswell 'cause he said he couldn't store it. This garbage was sitting right infront of his outdoor eating patio!! Imagine!
            Justin was thrilled that I brought more garbage home, but oh well, couldn't stand to look at it everyday!
            Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• DIDI
              Aussie Pest
              • Nov 2004

My post was pie in the sky I'm afraid I'm very idealistic.

That sounds really awful for you. It's just so frustrating that other people don't seem to get it. I actually don't hold out a lot of hope for this world !

I have compost bins etc, so no smelly stuff . My actual rubbish is just bloody packaging. No matter how hard I try there is always some.
              Originally posted by TheVrk
              it IS incredible isn't it??
              STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
              Simply does not get any better than Hernan
              The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• chanty
                • Jun 2004

Day 28 and counting.

Comment

• Aleks_B
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Nov 2006

this is BS!!!!!

im so pissed!.

FIRE these ppl!! I would go to work for the city for the money they get!!! LOLOL
                  aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• pipey
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Mar 2007

HEY! FUCK YOU BUDDY! WE WANT SOME OF THE INTERNET MONEY!

(For those of you living under a rock - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_on_Strike )

LOL
                    Originally posted by Kamal
                    Thank you Dr. Needle for attending the balloon Party

Comment

• nick007
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Oct 2007

^we have recently had all the 2010 Soccer world cup stadium contruction workers going on strike for a pay increase.
                      It is still the most effective way to force governments to meet peoples demands in our country.

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• dusk
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

wow can't believe this is still going on.
                        ~ You are what you think you are ~

Comment

Working...