X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: Allah O Akbar!

ok ok... I concede that surely not every single Iranian is extremely religious. That wasn't my point. My general perception was just that religion plays a much more dominant role in nearly all aspects of society in that part of the world than it does in the Western world...hence even if people oppose the supreme Ayatollah, that doesn't mean they oppose Allah - take the clerics who are now reportedly marching alongside the protesters.

But who knows...maybe that's all wrong...
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• serghe
      Fresh Peossy
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Miroslav
      ok ok... I concede that surely not every single Iranian is extremely religious. That wasn't my point. My general perception was just that religion plays a much more dominant role in nearly all aspects of society in that part of the world than it does in the Western world...hence even if people oppose the supreme Ayatollah, that doesn't mean they oppose Allah - take the clerics who are now reportedly marching alongside the protesters.

But who knows...maybe that's all wrong...
      We will see a secular government in charge of Iran again, probably like the one you have in Turkey.

The whole goal of this is to wipe religion off the map in Iran (gotta borrow the phrase AN). You have to look at why religion is in power in Iran to honestly understand any of this. You have no idea why do you... I just suggest you stick to your American politics and whether Miss California should be burnt for thinking gays should not marry and what not.

Comment

• Lorn
        Looking for a title!
        • Sep 2004

hehe

Why is it both Toasty and Miro seem to get in the most arguments with others in these political threads?

*My attempt at humor.*

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Lorn
          hehe

Why is it both Toasty and Miro seem to get in the most arguments with others in these political threads?

*My attempt at humor.*
          '

Well, I argue for a living, so there's that. I don't know what Miro's excuse is.

Comment

• Lorn
            Looking for a title!
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by toasty
            '

Well, I argue for a living, so there's that. I don't know what Miro's excuse is.
            lol

Comment

• Miroslav
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by serghe
              have no idea why do you... I just suggest you stick to your American politics and whether Miss California should be burnt for thinking gays should not marry and what not.
              serghe, we don't treat heritage as a prerequisite to open debate on any topic around here. I suggest that you stick to respectfully voicing your opinions and disagreements on the issues and leave the arrogant and belittling editorials aside if you wish to be taken seriously around here. We have already seen that you have plenty of opinions on America, even though you may not be from here.

Originally posted by toasty
              '

Good question....I don't really think I have a good excuse

Comment

• serghe
                Fresh Peossy
                • May 2009

serghe, we don't treat heritage as a prerequisite to open debate on any topic around here. I suggest that you stick to respectfully voicing your opinions and disagreements on the issues and leave the arrogant and belittling editorials aside if you wish to be taken seriously around here. We have already seen that you have plenty of opinions on America, even though you may not be from here.
                I have an American passport in my collection, so I am entitled to an editorial of that topic.

Comment

• Miroslav
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by serghe
                  I have an American passport in my collection, so I am entitled to an editorial of that topic.
                  ok. I still think it's a very silly basis on which to attempt to "regulate" open dialogue...but hey, whatever you want to think is fine; fortunately, it's not up to you anyway. I'm certainly not going to stop voicing my opinions based on your "suggestion". I guess this is where we must agree to disagree.

Comment

• Lorn
                    Looking for a title!
                    • Sep 2004

fortunately, it's not up to you anyway.
                    Nor any of us for that matter.

Comment

• serghe
                      Fresh Peossy
                      • May 2009

ok. I still think it's a very silly basis on which to attempt to "regulate" open dialogue...but hey, whatever you want to think is fine; fortunately, it's not up to you anyway. I'm certainly not going to stop voicing my opinions based on your "suggestion". I guess this is where we must agree to disagree.
                      But I would look at American topics from a view of an American, not a tri-national.

Comment

• Miroslav
                        • Apr 2006

Good for you.. You know, I'd also love to look at Swahili issues from the view of a Swahili-speaker and Norwegian issues from the view of a Norwegian, but guess what: I don't speak Swahili and I'm not Norwegian. And as far I can tell, I'm not likely to become either anytime soon. I am who I am; a Slovak who was transplanted into the USA at a relatively young age. That's the only perspective that I experience. Not all of us can have a zillion passports to every nation around the world. I can do my best to sympathize with other ethnic views and perspectives, but I can't be them.

But that doesn't mean that I have to close my brain and only look at Miss America issues. We live in the 21st century, not the 1500s where we could afford to be isolationist and not be directly impacted by things going on on the other side of the globe. And as human beings on the same planet, we have more in common than we acknowledge.

At the end of the day, the best I can do is look at things from the perspective of an inquisitive human being who respects ethnic diversity while also keeping in mind commonalities that support basic human rights and maximize our collective well-being. Maybe that's not good enough for you, but it's good enough for me and most others that I know.

And with that, I think I'm really done with this topic... this has already crossed over into the realm of the absurd.

Comment

Working...