X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • freddy00
    Getting warmed up
    • Jan 2006

DJing mixing with ablaton live

i planing to start mixing with ablaton live.........but i need a new laptop i know most people would say go for a mac but i don't know what one kind of mac i should buy .......... i need some help please
  • bobjuice
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: mixing with ablaton live

Originally posted by freddy00
    i don't know what one kind of mac i should buy .......... i need some help please
    one with a spell-check

Comment

• N-tchbl
      Addiction started
      • May 2009

^ hahahahha!

ont:
      i'd like to know the same thing, tho i need no spell check, i probably need some less expencive then

n-tchbl.com | MySpace | Facebook | Soundcloud | iFACE Bookings

Comment

• Deacon
        Getting warmed up
        • Feb 2007

A Macbook would be sufficient to run Live. I have a Macbook Pro and it's absolutely solid.

The only really noticable differences you would need to consider between a MB and a MBP for djing with Live is the screen size and the lack of a firewire port with the MB (unless the new ones have one now?).

This thread might be of more help...

Comment

• Deacon
          Getting warmed up
          • Feb 2007

I don't dj with Live by the way, but a MBP just for Ableton djing would be overkill.

Comment

• freddy00
            Getting warmed up
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Deacon
            I don't dj with Live by the way, but a MBP just for Ableton djing would be overkill.
            MBP that is what i though but what kind of MBp what i mean what kind of hard drive, ram, sound card and all those details

Comment

• lilsensa
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

^^MBP all come with standard hard drives, unless you upgrade. They are pretty much all the same.
              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• scifi pi
                Addiction started
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by lilsensa
                ^^MBP all come with standard hard drives, unless you upgrade. They are pretty much all the same.
                Not necessarily true.

Get MacBook Pro so you have room to grow with Ableton or another DAW software for remixing and production if you plan on fiddling in that direction.. Also, look into getting an AKAI APC40 and a decent external sound card (preferably MOTU). 2gb RAM should do you fine but 4gb wouldn't hurt. The latest models come with 4gb to start but you could save money on getting the previous generation with the 2gb RAM. Minimum 15" screen to have room to see everything at a decent size and resolution. 13" is just to small for Ableton IMHO. The smaller screen is fine for Serato and Traktor but Ableton is little bit more hefty in screen area needed. A lot is due to personal preference on what you like to see at any given time. I would get at least the 320gb drive but plan on having a larger external drive (500gb or larger) to store the majority of tracks and as you need them copy back and forth. Having good organization skills will help alot in the long run. Remember the larger the drive and faster speed can also drain battery charge faster. Battery charge not an issue if your always gonna be in the studio. You can save more money if you buy a refurb from Apple or I prefer from www.smalldog.com - save a couple hundred bucks to put into buying the APC40. Also, check out www.dealmac.com for special pricing and deals.

goto - http://abletonlivedj.com/ to get tons of FREE FAQ, info and help from others on this subject....

Order of purchase - buy the MacBook Pro first, then the APC40, then external HD and external soundcard if you plan on playing out with Ableton, Having the external soundcard free's up the internal and the CPU processing that goes with it. Also, if you plan on playing out, invest in a decent ATA case or travel bag for your MBP and APC. Monocase has a great bag that fits both perfectly and is considered the best before going the hard case route. http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp

Good luck with it...I plan on doing the same by end of year.

Comment

• scifi pi
                  Addiction started
                  • Oct 2004

Comment

• AlanMcGee
                    Fresh Peossy
                    • Jul 2009

Yeah, any newish Macbook with sufficient memory should do the trick.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

I'm gonna be completely honest and say, get anyone of a win or a mac machine. If you DO get a win machine. DON'T put any kind of antivirus software on it. As it will significantly slow your performance down. And make sure you have at least 2 GIG of ram to help with the dual core processing. Oh and set it up for maximum performance...I think you can do that within the control panel. HD speed isn't going to screw you up any as you're mostly going to be playing Mp3's anyway. Hell most big dj's just use external HD's for their music because they get so much of it.
                      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                        I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                        • Mar 2008

due to my lack of gear at the moment, i've been mixing solely on sofware, and therfore have become pretty much decent at programming premade studio sets in ableton live 7. boooyaahhh. always learning tho... there's just so many possibilities.p>
                        Last edited by i!!ustrious; October 5, 2009, 11:27:16 PM.
                        (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• azone
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Sep 2007

I use a macbook for the past 3 years and it has been great. I use a black one so it's not so visible and of course it's not very large. I wouldn't want the screen any smaller though it's on the small side. I use it strictly for Dj'ing. I still use a desktop PC in the studio. If using just for DJ'ing they are perfect.

Comment

• peerlesstone
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Dec 2009

A large screen is a must for ableton. Spellchecking aside, you were given some good advice here. Ableton actually takes a lot of resources (even when not using plugins) when you start playing with multiple tracks and effects.

Comment

• udolph
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Nov 2009

if you take a Win pc you will have more options and software, plugins to choose and cheaper
                              "The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad."

Comment

Working...