• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Nuclear Medicine

WOW.

Maybe i've been in a cave for the last few years, or maybe i've just been healthy enough not to know about this department at the hospital, but DAMN they're doing some wicked stuff these days with the human body and computers.

Long and short of it, i was sitting in a Gamma tube the other day thinking about all this stuff, and watching in real time, radioactive agents being flushed throughout my body.

Depending on your diagnosis, if doctors want to see how a part of your body is functioning in real time, what's better than cutting you open and taking a look, or shoving a camera up your pee hole or your tooter or down your throat, or even better than taking an xray of iodine tracing through your blood stream...is Nuclear Medicine.

They inject a radioactive agent called Xenon or something into your blood stream, then put you under a giant gamma scope and watch the material travel through your body. The substance is pixelized on a computer screen to form the image, like thousands of tiny little dots. Then a computer program takes those dots and makes real time graphics that make your doom3 g33k mega jumbo card in your computer look like a freaking commodore64.

A woman was in the dept having a lung/upper respiratory scan done. The radioactive agent was vaporized and inhaled with pure oxygen into the lungs producing the same result, real time action of your body. Apparently it will work on any part of the body, injected or inhaled.

If you were to have a pair of gamma goggles on, anyone injected with this radioactive ingredient would be glowing like mad. The human eye can't see gamma rays tho, so...damn, there goes the killer glowing dance moves at the club.

Medicine is so amazing these days. To think just a hundred or two years ago doctors were robbing graves to figure out how the body worked. Now they're using nuclear technology..and not even killing you in the process.
  • skahound
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • Jun 2004

Re: Nuclear Medicine

Originally posted by Jenks
    If you were to have a pair of gamma goggles on, anyone injected with this radioactive ingredient would be glowing like mad.
    Got mine on and I can't see shit!

Seriously though, very interesting. Good buddy of mine is a Nuke in the Navy and tries to explain some pretty serious shit about Nuclear power, etc. Stuff just blows me away.
    A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• asdf_admin
      i use to be important
      • Jun 2004

thank you jenks ...
      dead, yet alive.

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

i asked the guy if i would be green and growing huge muscles anytime soon if i got really angry...he laughed, said they figured out how to NOT make that happen.

Damn.

Comment

• picklemonkey
          Double hoodie beer monster
          • Jun 2004

thats badass... but what were you sitting in a gamma tube for? you going to live?

Comment

• skahound
            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
            • Jun 2004

Wait a second...isn't it Nucular Medicine?
            A good shower head and my right hand - the two best lovers that I ever had.

Comment

• MJ
              Here since 2002
              • Jun 2004

They can do all that sort of mind blowing shit yet they still don`t have a cure for the common cold
              mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• thrualoooop
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

my bro had something like that done and the guy let me go into the control room....was pretty wicked....they can look at slices of you....i thought it was like the music program "recycle"....really wickid
                i'm not a real dork i just play one on the internet.......

Comment

• neoee
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by skahound
                  Wait a second...isn't it Nucular Medicine?
                  "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Jenks
                    I'm kind of a big deal.
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                    thats badass... but what were you sitting in a gamma tube for? you going to live?
                    yes, i'm going to live. you all won't be rid of me that easily.

Comment

• FM
                      Wooooooo!
                      • Jun 2004

hahahaha...I've had thoughts about going back to school for be a Nuclear Tech...they pay VERY well and in SORE need of people for that in many a hospital.
                      FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                      "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                      Facebook!
                      A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• mw-1
                        Addiction started
                        • Jun 2004

Re: Nuclear Medicine

my friends had to take a colon test once. They gave him a Barium tablet and watched it go through his digestive system, it was kinda cool watching it on screen (i'm a nerd like that I'm studying pre-med). He said it made him shit bricks for a week though, and it was grey...

Homepage:

www.wahimusic.com

Myspace:

www.myspace.com/wahimusic

Comment

• Jenks
                          I'm kind of a big deal.
                          • Jun 2004

I watched on a screen my organs at work. They injected lasix, some sort of diuretic about a half hour after the radioactive material. I had taken a huge piss right before this test. Then, the Tech said, watch your bladder fill up on the screen here, and notice how you'll have to piss again. And sure enough...as my bladder filled in 3d on the screen, i felt a mondo piss coming on. lol. Cool stuff.

Comment

• Yao
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

Well, if every hospital visit were like that...I'd go every week!

Then watch your bladder fill up and be so cought up in looking at that you actually forget to make the run for the toilet and pee all over the nurse ad watch her run out of the room screaming like a pig...
                            Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

Working...