X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haziel
    Likes a finger upthere
    • Jan 2007

Moving to San Francisco

3 months from now I will be moving to San francisco . I've travelled to many different places in the world and I always go back to San Francisco to labelled it as a fantastic city.

I might sound like a hipster but I just always had and infatuation for the 60's and the whole San francisco Acid explosion .

One of my fav. Hunter s thompson quotes

"San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back. "

What to me is amazing about that city is the eclectic art that is everywhere, how colorful and peculiar are the streets and neighborhoods . The mentality of the people overthere is amazing.

But I just don't know yet how well is the edm scene over there, I know there is the Get weird" parties with Lee burrigde once In a while ,a love parade went on a while back , also there is the Om records and Dirty bird label established overthere , but thats about it that I know of , I would like to know about the clubs , how big is the scene , if there is a local forum about edm .
  • fatalfelix
    Platinum Poster
    • May 2008

Re: Moving to San Francisco

My aunt lives in San Fransisco to, and she loves the city. She used to live here in the Netherlands, but she went 10 years ago with her friend to SF.

Can't tell you anything about clubs, but if I have to believe my aunt it's one of the worlds best "free thinking" city's.
    "Computer games don’t affect kids: I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Comment

• etincelles
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2005

Last edited by etincelles; April 19, 2010, 01:33:24 PM.

Comment

• simonr
        Transitionator
        • Jun 2004

Watch your butt .... only joking !!

It's an iconic place .. even pre GU009.

Make sure you check out the Church of John Coltrane:

sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

I live and work in SF. There are a decent amount of beats going down here for an American city...we don't get quite as much as LA does, certainly can't compete with NYC...but it's still pretty good. I'm talking minimal techy house stuff. I was gonna try to start playing out more around here, but I'm generally just too damn busy with boring grown up career stuff.

Aside from Dirtybird events, anyone worth their beans in the tech house sound around here knows about Alland Byallo and his monthly Kontrol shows at the End Up. Just had one yesterday with Mike Huckaby...last month was the Whignomy Bros. Next month is Agnes and Ripperton. They bring the big guns...easily my favorite club night in the city.

Also, there's this guy Nick Williams, who guest starred for a few MCast mixes in the past. He's been putting some good local stuff together under the group name Werd SF.

Also, one of the Irish guys that was involved with a long-running show over there called U-Bahng came over to SF just recently started up an edition over here. Had Kyle Geiger for the first show at a club called Shine...unfortunately I missed it.
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Caley Martin
            MCast Resident DJ
            • Oct 2004

ohhhhhhh SF, I love thee.
            For your aural infusion of Caley:
            http://mcast.mercuryserver.com
            http://soundcloud.com/caleymartin
            http://ultrawizardsword.net
            RA: Caley

Comment

• Miroslav
              WHOA I can change this!1!
              • Apr 2006

^^ dude... you're over in SJ?? You ever play out around the area?
              mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Do you really want Haziel in your neighborhood?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• palmer
                  Retired or Simply Important
                  • Jun 2004

You better brush up before you get here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey5MyvHdRPY[/youtube]

There are definitely plenty of nights and parties going on all the time. That would be the least of my concern. You should be more concerned with where you are going to live and finding an apartment because it's a motherfucking bitch.
                  todayistomorrow
                  art direction | design | animation

Comment

• palmer
                    Retired or Simply Important
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr

It's an iconic place .. even pre GU009.
                    That isn't even close to being a blip on the radar of history in San Francisco....
                    todayistomorrow
                    art direction | design | animation

Comment

• NID
                      Addiction started
                      • Sep 2008

Hey man, My wife's family is from there and we visit there a lot. Get in touch with me and we should hang out sometime. I know a few good places to eat there too.

Comment

• N-tchbl
                        Addiction started
                        • May 2009

wohoooooooo, fully support you!
                        i guess next year we'll meet, i'm coming to spend 2 months in SF next spring, got the ticket already.. so i guess you make good brownies to wish me welcome on the airport

n-tchbl.com | MySpace | Facebook | Soundcloud | iFACE Bookings

Comment

• ShawnD64
                          Quickshot the Minute Man
                          • Jan 2005

was going to mention nick williams... he puts together some nice mixes...
                          http://soundcloud.com/scd64
                          http://www.myspace.com/scd64
                          http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• simonr
                            Transitionator
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by palmer
                            That isn't even close to being a blip on the radar of history in San Francisco....
                            ^^ Depends where you live and what San Fran is synonymous with in your mind ..

Bullet and Dirty Harry didn't paint the greatest initial views of the place - I associate some places with music, architecture, history, location, sport and food.

For music I associate San Fran with experimental jazz (late-Coltrane) and GU009.

There are other places I'd visit in the US and across the world before I'd go to SF. Just a matter of personal choice and perception.
                            sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Shpira
                              Angry Boy Child
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Haziel
                              3 months from now I will be moving to San francisco . I've travelled to many different places in the world and I always go back to San Francisco to labelled it as a fantastic city.

I might sound like a hipster but I just always had and infatuation for the 60's and the whole San francisco Acid explosion .

One of my fav. Hunter s thompson quotes

"San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look west, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back. "

What to me is amazing about that city is the eclectic art that is everywhere, how colorful and peculiar are the streets and neighborhoods . The mentality of the people overthere is amazing.

But I just don't know yet how well is the edm scene over there, I know there is the Get weird" parties with Lee burrigde once In a while ,a love parade went on a while back , also there is the Om records and Dirty bird label established overthere , but thats about it that I know of , I would like to know about the clubs , how big is the scene , if there is a local forum about edm .
                              You can expect me there soon mate...I am into Hunter S. Thompson as well...just reading "the great shark hunt"...its on my list of places to visit in the next six months
                              The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                              Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

Working...