X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ezdude1970
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

IT HAS BEEN 63 YEARS

It's the 63rd anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
    EVERY GENERATION has its "Where were you when" event. The 9/11 terror attacks. President Kennedy's assassination. The attack on Pearl Harbor. Today is the 63rd anniversary of that, the World War II generation's most infamous date.

While all eyes were on the war raging in Europe, Japanese bombers, kamikaze pilots, and submarines, without warning, staged a devastating raid on the U.S. naval base in Pearl Harbor. Within two hours, 2400 Americans were dead and 1,100 wounded. The Pacific Fleet was crippled, with eight battleships and 188 planes damaged or destroyed. And America suddenly found itself at war on two fronts.

Dec. 7, 1941, was a dark day indeed, but that darkness forged a new unity. President Franklin D. Roosevelt set the country's course: "No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory--So help us God."

Victory over Japan Day was celebrated Aug. 15, 1945.
  • rewing3
    I really don't care
    • Jun 2004

A dark day in america history. A day that will never be forgotten and to all the soliders lost that day. RIP.
    Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• Jibgolly
      Vortexuralizor
      • Jun 2004

been watching the history channel since the weekend.
      i get sucked into those shows about war so easily.

Comment

• beto
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

Re: IT HAS BEEN 63 YEARS

Jsut saw a special on Discovery Channel last night, about how the attack wasn't a real success for the japanese and how the US fleet got kind of lucky (most of the big ships weren't at the harbor and escaped the attack)

And more on the radar reports that the military/government thought of as equipment malfunction...

Comment

• Morgan
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Re: IT HAS BEEN 63 YEARS

A bad day for America those saliors never had a chance.

But, (not that it is a postive thing) if that event had not happened then i guess mainland europe would now be speaking German, probably the UK as well.
          "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• Pataky P
            asdf_imo
            • Jun 2004

This was the dark,and very bad day in America!!! :cry:

Comment

• picklemonkey
              Double hoodie beer monster
              • Jun 2004

one of my college history teachers said the president knew about the attacks before they happened, but didn't do anything about it so the japs didn't know that we had spies among them. who knows if he was telling the truth

Comment

• johnson3161
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                one of my college history teachers said the president knew about the attacks before they happened, but didn't do anything about it so the japs didn't know that we had spies among them. who knows if he was telling the truth
                My history teacher told me something simliar to that. He said that the president knew about the attack but let it happened becaause he wanted to go to war. Letting pearl habor happen would be the best way to motivate people into war.

Comment

Working...