dude this just fn happened to me. I couldn't figure out what was going on so I did a quick search on Google and I found this. crazy stuff
Today I was the victim of the digital equivalent, something called "Project Upstream;" a (harmless) bot system using AOL Instant Messenger that contacts two random people to engage in a completely random conversation. According to their website they are "an organization dedicated to promoting social ideals through the use of exciting new technology.
Project Upstream's most well-known service is our swarm of robotic fish, which spontaneously connects AIM users to each other."
What is a fish bot?
The friendly AIM bots have a countless number of screennames and have been seen as any of: (something)Salmon, (something)Trout, and (something)Coho. The opening message or "icebreaker" from these screennames varies, and the user screennames contacted appear to be gathered from LiveJournal, deviantART, Twitter, Xanga, and Digg. Messages sent may be altered in some way, such as being changed to piratespeak, old English, or changed to rainbow-colored fonts. The feeling you get when you receive that random IM is quite like being RickRoll'd.


Comment