X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dhar_2
    meat and potatoes
    • Jun 2004

DJing Computer Dj-ing

Many, many years ago i had a decent set up (2x Technics 1210's, Gemini 626) and 1500 odd records. I had a passion for music! i was always listening to sets, trainspotting, searching, buying. I could usually name title, artist, sydoname, remixer, label and year. Times and places change. The dawn of the cd mixer menat things started to go digital. I moved to a different country and unfortunately due to weight, cost and space restrictions my passion is gathering dust in various rooms of my parents house back in the uk.

The thought has passed my mind many a time to ship the stuff over, but the complications of living in an apartment block, time and the misses have always meant that things have been left as they are.

I feel that i have lost the pulse of the music and have noted that i am listening less and less to edm and have no idea what tune is what and what i really like anymore.

Anyway, to cut to the chase. I wouldn't mind getting back into it. I havent got space for a cdj setup, but i was wondering about using a computer.

I know there things like albeton, etc. but i have no idea how they really work or what equipment i need. I like the idea of being able to use a proper mixer (or do i need midi) and assigning tracks to channels. i figure i'll need a external soundcard and some sort of software. At least that way i can hopefully recover some of the oldies i've got at home.

any info/suggestions appreciated!

thanks

• bobjuice
    Banned
    • May 2008

Re: Computer Dj-ing

Comment

• bobjuice
      Banned
      • May 2008

Originally posted by Dhar_2
      I feel that i have lost the pulse of the music and have noted that i am listening less and less to edm and have no idea what tune is what and what i really like anymore.
      ^ that's exactly how i feel Dhar

If you feel that way how about having a go at knocking some sounds together yourself rather than trying to make yourself get back into it, djing wise

what sort of music is mrs dhar into?

Comment

• Dhar_2
        meat and potatoes
        • Jun 2004

she's italian!

dont ask!

Comment

• bobjuice
          Banned
          • May 2008

so decks in the house may be a problem ?

Comment

• Dhar_2
            meat and potatoes
            • Jun 2004

no space for decks unfortunately!

need something compact without the need for space to put cds or vinyl!

unfortunately digital is the only way to go.

Comment

• kalin
              Getting warmed up
              • Jun 2005

an Audio 2 or 4 DJ by NI audio card plus Vestax VCI-100 as a MIDI controller, together with Traktor could be a nice start
              It comes from inside, just listen ...

Comment

• panoulix
                MCast Resident DJ
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Dhar_2
                no space for decks unfortunately!

need something compact without the need for space to put cds or vinyl!

unfortunately digital is the only way to go.

If you are forced to do so, then a laptop + a VCI-100 with a good soundcard + Traktor (As already mentioned above), would be a good start.

However I would not choose an Audio DJ soundcard, there are more serious soundcards on the market that are of more quality design, construction and sound, rather than the Audio DJ series.

If you don't want to mess with an external Soundcard, then VCI-300 is your solution.
                But be aware that the sound quality is not that premium... (well depends on what you really need)

Rane Serato is Traktor's most serious rival. You may also like it too.

Another solution may be the M-Audio Torque Xponent, although I was never a fan of M-Audio products.

Anyway, go somewhere, see them, feel them, try them, hear them, and make your choice

All the best,
                Panos.
                http://www.panoulix.gr
                http://www.myspace.com/panoulix
                http://www.facebook.com/panoulix

Comment

• Techno Troll
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Aug 2009

I would say , start off with something simple like

-serato
                  -a pc laptop
                  -m-audio mixer
                  -interphase

If you want to move to a higher level go ahead with Traktor thats only for the champs .

Comment

• kalin
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jun 2005

I was offering the Audio 4 DJ mainly because if the wife gives him a bit more space, he can always dust off the old 1200's, slap 2 timecodes on 'em and get right back on
                    It comes from inside, just listen ...

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

thinking about getting this!

any opinions? reviews?

Comment

• panoulix
                        MCast Resident DJ
                        • Feb 2009

I used to have one for my mobile gigs from April '09 to September '09.

Very good, very stable (with firmware v1.2 and v1.3 Ean Golden Edition) and very reliable.

I used to have it as a controller and play with an external mixer, so I didn't use the EQ knobs and volume faders and crossfader of the VCI. One main reason for that, was that I wanted something better in quality, so I prefered to use the knobs and faders of my mixer.

Overall this is a very good machine and I believe that the design and construction quality deserve the money it asks for.

If you need any further assistance, just drop me a line

Comment

• Dhar_2
                          meat and potatoes
                          • Jun 2004

right so after some faffing!

the misses has decide to treat me for my birthday and buy me the midi controller!

was still thinking the vestax VCi 100.

seen these aswell:-

or

they seem to be less advanced than the VCi100 less buttons to play with.

anyone got any info?

also which external sound card.

i was looking at the NI audio 2 or 4. i understand that the 2 is limiting. but the cost of the 4 is more than double.

someone was saying with the 4 i can eventually add my decks to the setup, so i can use the midi controller with them as a mixer?

sorry to be a pain. been out of the loop for far too long.

Comment

• panoulix
                            MCast Resident DJ
                            • Feb 2009

LOL WTF is this? It reminds me of the Hercules controllers

"Vestax for the people" ???? Looks like I'm missing something over there...

Honestly never heard of it and at a quick glance and without working with it, I would agree with you for the VCI-100 which is a trusted/tested solution.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                              meat and potatoes
                              • Jun 2004

the spin is mac only! the typhoon is basically the same, but fugly for the pc. only upside is that its dirt cheap with inbuilt soundcard. so for starting out again. it could do! but then it doesnt make sense to compromise too much.

speaking of soundcards! what do you recommend?

I was thinking of the audio 2 or 4, but you can't connect headphones directly to the VCI. are there similar midi controllers out there that are setup more like mixers?

or are we looking at a setup like this:-

which means no in headphone mixing directly from the midi controller!

also in the future i hoping to go and get my decks from the uk. can i add them into the setup? how?

would it be like this?

or would i need a mixer in the middle, like this?

To be honest with you looking at the setups, i dont know if the VCI is the right piece of equipment to do what i'll want. the headphone problem is annoying and i want to have the option of adding in my decks later. Will i always need a mixer or is there a midi controller that can do both?

as for the external soundcard, i havent got a clue as to where to start. If i get the VCi i'll need something with a separate headphone channel and volume control, and i'll need at least 2 sets of RCA inputs, 2 sets of RCA outputs and USB.

these dont have rca inputs

and the audio series doesnt have volume control or a separate headphone channel.

all advice / opinions welcome.

Comment

Working...