X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floridaorange
    I'm merely a humble butler
    • Dec 2005

Mugs in the News

Wow...pretty crazy looking ppl arrested in chicago daily, source www.chicagotribune.com

It was fun while it lasted...
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: Mugs in the News

lol, i love looking at the daily mugshots on the tampabay website, especially seeing what people got arrested for.. amazing how many people get dui's in the afternoon

Comment

• floridaorange
      • Dec 2005

^if you can find vegas's I'd like to see that

Comment

• floridaorange
        • Dec 2005

From that same page, it looks like cops busted a ""massage parlor."" That's wild, lol.

Comment

• Aleks_B
          Gold Gabber
          • Nov 2006

wtf!
          aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• floridaorange
            • Dec 2005

^I know!

Comment

• floridaorange
              • Dec 2005

So i was checking up on who was arrested as of late and this pic comes up and I thought right away, bet this has something to do with the olympics protests...and of course it does. Which is an interesting topic by the way. It's just too bad Josh Wink was one of the individuals arrested:

source

"I think the Olympics are wonderful, I just don't think they're good to be in Chicago," says Jack Malone, an accountant from the city's north side, who joined about 250 other Chicagoans and suburbanites protesting Chicago's Olympic bid outside of City Hall on Tuesday night.

"I mean, you can only showcase the city once all the problems in the city are done, in my opinion. We have a lot of problems in the city that are not being taken care of," Malone adds.

Malone and others complain that the city's schools, health care facilities, roads and mass transit lines aren't getting the attention they need, while city officials focus on bringing the Olympics to Chicago. Problems such as homelessness, crime, the lack of affordable housing and good jobs are being ignored, too, protesters claim.

"Our city is in such crummy shape, such pathetic financial shape, I think our great-grandchildren will be paying if we get these Olympics," says Barbara Chadwick, a retiree who lives on Chicago's northwest side. She worries not only about the cost and possible corruption, but about transit and traffic headaches, too.

"Ugh! I can't even imagine," Chadwick says. "I mean, as it is, the expressways in Chicago are a nightmare much of the day. And every time I'm on the Kennedy [Expressway], I think, 'What would this be like when all this begins?' [There will be] construction everywhere, and I don't think the city is going to have any lasting benefits."

Others are concerned that the construction of Olympic venues would displace residents, particularly in poorer neighborhoods, or that valuable inner city park space, beaches and harbors would be lost to game venues.

A Web site, www.ChicagoansForRio.com, started by a local advertising executive and some friends, created a stir in the city as it promotes one of Chicago's competing cities. A group called No Games Chicago, which organized Tuesday night's protest, is even sending a few representatives to Copenhagen in hopes of influencing the IOC to send the Olympics elsewhere in 2016.

To be sure, there are those who don't oppose Chicago getting the Olympics per se, but who don't trust Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's administration to spend Olympic money fairly or wisely. And there are Chicagoans who support the bid for the games, but still want to see greater transparency and accountability in how money for the games will be spent.

"I mean, it'll be an opportunity for Chicago, but I don't want to pay for it," says Annette Olsen, in between waiting on customers at the Golden Nugget Pancake House on Chicago's northwest side. Every day, she sees other priorities, including "streets, potholes, crime, drugs [and] schools," that she says the city should be spending money to fix before spending on the Olympics.

A couple of Chicago police officers sitting down for breakfast seconded those sentiments. Though they wouldn't talk about the Olympics on tape, because as one of the officers said, "you'd have to bleep out every other word," they expressed concerns about how difficult the Olympic Games might make their jobs.

To be fair, though, there are many Chicagoans who support the city's bid for the Olympics. The Chicago bid committee released a poll this week highlighting overwhelming support — with 72 percent in favor of the games — though some longtime city residents think those poll numbers might reflect a bit of Chicago-style electioneering.

Comment

• Dhar_2
                meat and potatoes
                • Jun 2004

Comment

Working...