• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • [ms]_Podcast_Bot
    Music Bitch
    • Aug 2009

Clash Music - Baddies - 'Do The Job'

<h2>

Southend's Baddies release their long awaited debut album this week and ClashMusic has an exclusive stream of the whole thing for you to enjoy.

The four piece have been busy picking up fans around the nation with a punishing touring schedule, including a very memorable appearance at the Clash Revue party at the end of 2008 (you can see them in action in a gallery from the event HERE).

Below you can listen to the album in full and read a track by track guide by the band's frontman, Michael Webster.

- - -

'Do The Job' Track by Track Guide

'Tiffany... I'm Sorry'
    This track has been around for a while. It's a 'main stayer' in the live set and always gets people moving, I knew it had to open the record. It was spawned from one of Danny's (Bass) riffs. I wrote it about mine and Jim's 6th birthday party, and is based on a true story.

'Open One Eye'
    Jim (Drums) sent me the chorus riff via a 'multi media message'. We wrestled with it and spliced it with one of Danny's ideas and decided we wanted it to be more of a dance song. I think this song defines Baddies, it has all of our best elements melted down into one pot. Lyrically, knife crime was up and all over the news. Subconsciously, I think that's where the chorus line came from.

'Battleships'
    This song did amazing things for us and I still love it. I wanted it to sound like The Kinks in the verse and The Super Furry Animals in the chorus. I think this was the moment that I knew that I could write a good song. This one is my baby.

'Colin'
    Mine and Jim's younger brother knew someone who had taken too many 'disco biscuits'. He ended up in a mental home, and kept calling his mother on the telephone complaining that an old woman was hiding under his bed in the night and tickling his feet!
    Everyone thought he was mad, until they heard him screaming in the night and bust into his room too find the old woman was in fact hiding under his bed! I had to write a song about it...

'At The Party'
    This came together really quickly. It's about ignorance.

'Pisces'
    This is the oldest Baddies track featured on the album. Writing this was a turning point for me vocally, and I feel it defined my 'style'. We recorded the music and vocals in one take. It's raw and I love it.

'We Beat Our Chests'
    This track was the last one to be added to the album. It's an uplifting track about getting together and making things happen. I want this song to make people feel like going out and making something of themselves.

'Holler For My Holiday'
    This one is for the all the 'ninetofivers', the title says it all.

'I Am Not A Machine'
    Spawned from another Jim riff, it's about how we viewed the future during the 1960's and 70's. According to science experts of the time, we should now be flying around in hover car's and covering our walls with paint that heats our houses. Think 'Tomorrow's World'.

'To The Lions'
    This track is about being too frightened to get out there and do the things you want to do. Everyone always has a reason not to do something and this highlights that.

'Who Are You?'
    When speaking to a stranger on the phone, its sometimes hard to understand what they are saying or decide what gender they are. Some woman just have deep voices!

'Paint The City'
    Always the set ender, so it fitted to end the record. You get to hear Simon (Guitar) sing alone at the end of the track, he has a great voice and it really rounds the album off well. Lyrically it touches on the subject of people who risk their lives to write graffiti on motorway bridges.

- - -

Podcast home: http://www.clashmusic.com

Read more about + download this podcast
Working...